“Exactly what we were hoping for!”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 54 reviews

Reviews from our community

CM1953
Muncie, Indiana
“Exactly what we were hoping for!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

This cute little cottage gave me the same feeling I used to have when staying at my Aunt and Uncle's cottage on the lake growing up! Having never rented a place like this, I was pleasantly surprised and would highly recommend this cottage over an impersonal hotel. Richard made things very easy and was very attentive to our needs. The ambiance was warm and inviting when we arrived with a fire burning, cozy lighting and the best fruit tray and waffle mix waiting. After instructions on how to operate the TVs, locks and fireplace, I rarely saw Richard, but he somehow knew just what we would like and had it there for us. I was working in Hilo for the week and he even texted me to let me know of a bad accident that had closed the road, suggesting I might want to have dinner in Hilo.

The cottage is clean, well kept, has great beds, has a well-equipped kitchen, and the feeling sitting on the deck in the middle of a rain forest is very relaxing. Between the environment and the small treats Richard left for me, I felt very spoiled.

I highly recommend this cottage for adults, but would be a little hesitant to take young children unless they are angels who never pick things up. There are many collectibles throughout the cottage. It is obvious that Richard has put a lot of thought into every detail and really cares about the people he rents to, doing all he can to make them very comfortable. The only problem for me is that this isn't located in my back yard.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The warm cozy atmosphere.
Liked least: The daily drive to Hilo to work.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
DC
Reviewed 10 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Brisbane
Reviewed 4 May 2014 for a stay in April 2014

4 May 2014
Aloha Jeanet and family,
I am very glad and thankful that you found and chose to stay at my cottage in Volcano during your family adventure from Australia.
To have children and families visit and spend happy times together is the height of purpose for an old rain forest cottage such as mine.
You were wonderful guests.
I am also glad that waffles were appreciated by your family.
They are such an easy thing for a vacation rental to offer guests and time after time folks enjoy them (as I do) as the perfect way to begin a Volcano day.
I am also thrilled that your son and husband enjoyed the "Frogs" jigsaw puzzle.
The jigsaw puzzles are a new addition to the cottage and it is great to see people enjoy them.
Should you pass tis way ever again the cottage will always have a free complimentary night to offer you.
Aloha and with best wishes and regards to you all.
MD
Reviewed 29 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
29 Apr 2014
Aloha Linda and Penny,
You were both wonderful guests and I feel very honored and blessed.
Thanks for having Luli and myself over for an evening by the fire "visit" during your stay.
Watching you two dear old friends work on the new Jigsaw puzzle together while laughing, eating popcorn and humorously bantering in front of the fire was truly heartwarming for me to be around.
Thank you also for the Easter Sunday brunch at Kilauea Military Camp.
You are both very fun and fine people and I thank you for choosing my little cottage for your adventure in Hawaii.
You enriched my life.
Aloha and with my very best and kindest wishes.
Casey F
“A magical experience!”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

I spent a long time reviewing places to stay for our trip to Volcanoes National Park. I wanted something intimate and special, and that is exactly what I found. Richard could not have been more hospitable- from the moment we arrived, the island music was on, the fire was lit, our fruit bowl was exploding with delicious avocados, mangoes, pineapples, apple bananas, and exotic fruits local to Hawaii, the waffle maker was set for the morning, and the bed linens were cleaned and ready to be warmed!

The home is so close to the park and has everything one needs to spend a day exploring either the local beaches or the park- beach chairs, coolers, umbrellas, rain jackets, emergency kits. Richard is so well informed, and he has also set up the television with bookmarks so you can check the weather and daily activities in the area. Everything you need to cook a delicious meal is in the kitchen, and the backyard patio makes for excellent stargazing and relaxing.

I was debating staying at the park at the only hotel on the property, but I am so glad I chose to explore the unknown and join Richard at his Volcano house. Highly recommend!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 Apr 2014
Aloha Casey,
Thank you so much for finding and choosing my little Volcano cottage to accommodate you during your visit to the Big Island.
I am very glad the the 'old girl" as I fondly call the cottage on occasion made you comfortable and well cared for.
There is nothing more important to a host such as myself than to have his guests feel happiness and satisfaction with their choice of accommodation during their visits to Volcano.
You were both very gracious and genuinely happy guests and once again I feel continually blessed that folks such as your selves find your way to my cottage.
You are always welcome and there is always a free complimentary night waiting for you should you pass this way again.
Aloha and with my best wishes and regards.
Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
28 Mar 2014
Aloha Claire, Grace, Oliver and young David.
Thank you so very much for taking your time to be generous to me by leaving such a kind review of my Volcano Village cottage.
I know folks get busy after their vacations and can not always find such time.
So it is always special for me to hear from folks that they were indeed happy and well looked after during their visit to my cottage.
I have, and am also learning that being a good host for folks such as your selves who are traveling and away from their own homes is a fine art of sorts and certainly genuine and fun pleasure.
There is something about this role of being a host that I truly enjoy.
I am also thrilled that Oliver became a fan and purveyor of his families morning waffles!
Few great fresh baked foods are easier to prepare than waffles.
Also Volcano is the perfect place to have a waffle in.
It is a match made in Heaven.
A waffle chef ... even a new one can look like an experienced culinary genius to his family and the world in about four minutes flat using just basic flour and water.
As you can tell I am a big waffle fan myself.
The best things in life are free or very close to free.
Waffles are top on that list.
I can now imagine Oliver feeding his family delicious home made waffles back in Canada on his very own waffle maker.
Thank you all so much for choosing to stay with us during your family vacation.
Please know that there is always a Free Complimentary night at the cottage for your family should you pass this way again.
Many thanks and a fond Aloha to your young happy, gracious and fine Family!
CA
Reviewed 21 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
21 Mar 2014
Thank you both so very much for being such wonderful and kind guests at the Volcano cottage.
I appreciate very much also your taking your precious time to leave a positive review.
This s so helpful for future potential guests to make their vacation accommodation plans.
I do wish that the internet offered proprietors such as myself the ability to leave kind reviews about my guests as well.
This door of appreciation, I know swings both ways.
Just as all Vacation rentals are not created quite equal, neither are All Guests created quite equal as well.
I and the cottage are well aware of the great quality and kindness of the guests that come to visit my little cottage in Volcano during their vacations.
I have been very fortunate to have folks such as yourselves find your way to the cottage front door.
I hope my good luck in this regard holds well into the future.
It is a genuine heartfelt pleasure to be able to say: " Thank you very much for choosing my cottage from all the available choices for your special time together on your trip."
Without getting too corny or sentimental : "Your satisfaction and happiness is my satisfaction and happiness"
You were and are a very positive, kind and generous couple.
Always remember that you have a Free Complimentary night waiting for you here any time
Aloha and with many thanks and my best regards,
Richard
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing