“Comfy and close to everything, great for independent travelers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Volcano
Volcano Guest House
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 September 2011

The accommodations are excellent as are the innkeepers. If you want to be fawned over at the Sheraton this is not the place or park for you. If you want a clean safe and fascinating cottage in a rain forest setting then it is awesome. The innkeepers are available but they run a farm etc and its nice to be on one's own. When asked they provide splendid suggestions for meals and evenput us on to a local hula troop, better than any tourist trap show. People who come to trek the forest and volcanoes shouldn't need to be coddled and this is nice for independent people. The inn location is great for a morning run, photo the plants, 10 min from the town of Volcano and the park. I would be happy to have had a few more days to stay at this place and explore the park more, 2 days were not enough.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 September 2011

This is a strange property - several cottages spread around what is essentially a large jungle garden. The cottages are old but have lots of character - beds with loads of enormous pillows and cushions, home made throws etc. The jungle is practically on top of you - massive flowers, leaves and trees growing lushly everywhere. Small kitchenette in our cottage (Twin 1) but enough to cook. Fridge was a bit small but OK. The family are sometimes hard to track down but very friendly, and provide a free breakfast in a communal room - either have it there or go and help yourself to fresh fruit, cereal, bagels etc. Lovely! There is also a brilliant hot tub there open at all time - just help yourself. This was just wonderful after 8-hour treks in Volcanoes National Park (just up the road). It feels like an expedition every time you come back, driving the car down an incredibly narrow driveway through the overhanging vegetation - don't go out at night without a torch! The only downside here is that it is so damp - the area not the cottages. The humidity is really high, so things take ages to dry. However, they have a washer and drier you can use, so it's not too much of a problem. Definitely not a place to go if you want squeaky clean anonymous hotel rooms, but we had enormous fun here.

Room Tip: There is one cottage close to reception which must be noisy to stay in as all the cars coming in hav...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda P
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I wish that I had done proper research and stayed here two years ago when I stayed at the Volcano House! (Which has since been closed, I learned.) I would definitely recommend the Volcano Guest House to anyone spending a couple or so nights in the area. I was in Twin Two which was quite comfortable, with one notable exception--there really wasn't a comfortable place to read (or write postcards) with an adequate amount of light. I loved being in the rain forest with the giant ferns and the trees all around--the glass walls (inside-out feeling as someone described such windows) made it seem as though one is actually a part of the forest! I was most impressed with the efficiency of the solar water heating system (and its booster). Bonnie and Alan are very nice innkeepers, and I was sorry that I didn't run into them more. I did not take breakfast there because I need a more substantial breakfast when I plan to spend the day either hiking or driving. There are two or three places in town where one can get breakfast (and also dinner). There are also a couple of grocery stores; I found my microwave dinner in one of them. Just to be clear--I definitely would recommend Volcano Guest House to friends and relatives.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Janice S
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed several nights in 'Olapa. The bedrooms and main living area was spacious. The breakfast lanai featured fresh fruits (papaya, bananas, pineapple), baked goods, cereal and beverages. We especially appreciated their commitment toward sustainability. They are only 10-15 minutes from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at the Volcano Guest House after a long day in the forest with my two kids. We stayed in the TWIN II house and it was just perfect for the three of us. A quaint and comfy spot that was just what we needed. My eleven year old son absolutely LOVED it! from the bucolic setting to the hospitable inn keepers. Would love to come back again!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2011

It was OK. Breakfast was nice, home-made buns, real cream for the coffee, fresh fruit. Room smelled musty, most likely due to being in a rainforest. Cottage layout was kind of odd, but adequate. Really really need some new towels!! Bedding was coarse and scratchy. Overhead skylights could bother some people. Off the beaten track, too, which is something we usually like but not in this case. Will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lchapter
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Volcano Guest House immensely. We found the Cottage to be very suitable for our family and our host, Alan was very knowlegable about the area's ecology. So the breakfast may not be everyone's favourite our family enjoyed the option of choosing between bagels and cream cheese and cereal with all the lovely fruit they had available. Coffee was great and always on and we also liked that we could have a snack during the day if needed. We really appreciated the hot chocolate as we found it quite cool during our stay. We had just come from Australia so the change in temperature and humidity were more than welcome. We had a little space heater and we really appreciated the electric blankets on the beds.
We really needed to do some laundry so Alan allowed us use of the laundry area. I eventually gave up on the clothes line drying and threw them in the dryer-something I hadn't done in two years!
We attempted to make our own meals in the kitchen but I have to say that this is where the B&B failed as it was under equipped and the stove was really dodgy. I had to use the stove in the lanai to finish our meal as the burners did not work on the stove while the oven was on.
Also, since you are meant to keep windows open during the day to allow the building to breathe it would be nice if there were screens on the windows. I am not sure if they allow pets but I am pretty sure there was one in there at some time. I did have my allergies act up so I took some medication while we where there.
We enjoyed the location right close to Hilo and HVNP and also enjoyed the hot tub after a long day of hiking.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family