“Loved the Volcano Village Lodge!”

Volcano Village Lodge
Ranked #2 of 31 Volcano B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Loved the Volcano Village Lodge!”
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We just returned from our latest trip to Hawaii. I must say, that out of all the accomodations we've ever stayed at over the years, the Volcano Village Lodge is the best! Kay, the owner, has thought of everything to make sure you are comfortable and taken care of. Our stay at Mauna Kea was very relaxing, and felt as if we were at a spa. Next time, we'll be booking a longer stay! Thanks Kay, for everything!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gr8nurs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
CA
Reviewed 26 September 2007

This is the perfect b&b and the best place we stayed on the big island. I have never stayed anywhere like it: it sounds cliched but it truly was peaceful, almost mystical, to stay here. The grounds are amazing and waking up in the middle of a (cultivated) rain forest is something I will never forget. The white cedar used in the Mauna Kea was quite soothing and I keep fantasizing about creating a space like that room for work and relaxation. Kay was an extremely gracious host -- highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2007
4 Thank DiMe2
Hawaii
Reviewed 17 September 2007

This was the most fantastic place we have ever stayed. 6 stars in my book. The grounds are wonderful and full of surprises. Every unit is seperate with lots of privacy. Kay Lee, the owner, goes way beyond what is expected. She provides you with breakfast in your refrigerator every morning of fresh fruit and/or home made cooking. It is tranquil and a wonderful place to meditate and relax. There are no televisions however she provides a CD player with wonderful relaxing music to listen to as you sit on your private Lanai. We had our wedding on her premises and it was a wonderful and intimate setting. If you are looking for a true "getaway" yet close to the park with thousands of miles of trails, not to mention Pele herself. This is your place. It is clean and comfortable. I would recommend it for anyone who really needs to get away from it all. Staying here was a truly spiritual experience

• Liked — Hospitality and atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kfendt
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed 7 September 2007

We LOVE Volcano Village Lodge! This was our second time to stay here -- first last September and again this August. Volcano Village Lodge is the perfect place to relax...PLUS have a great adventure at Volcanoes Nat'l Park, on the Puna Coast, in & around Hilo, and even on the South coast.

Kay Lee at VVL is the best hostess. She does everything in her power to make your stay relaxing & stress-free. She remembers likes & dislikes, offers great recommendations for local dining & activities, provides breakfast food, snacks (the day we arrived we ate our snacks, soaked in the hot tub, picked a funny dvd & never left again that day!), books, dvd's, cd's -- even raincoats, flashlights & robes.

The self-sufficient cottages are beautiful & private. I've seen some on this site concerned about privacy, but my husband and I have never been concerned about our privacy at VVL. We've now stayed in two different cottages: the Mauna Loa & the Kilauea. They're both great, although the Mauna Loa is our very favorite.

The grounds are beautiful, and Volcano Village itself is one of the most relaxing, laid-back places we've ever visited.

Volcano Village and VVL are for those that want a truly special experience, with kind people, and a genuine feeling of aloha! Nothing flashy :)! Both visits we've stayed at VVL 3 nights and could have certainly stayed longer, while we saw other people stay 1 or 2 nights max. Do yourself a favor, and allow yourself a little more time to soak up the flavor of this peaceful place.

Four tips:
1) Contact Warren Costa at Native Guide Hawaii if you want to have the best experience in Hawaii. Kay recommended him the first time. He's taken us on several great adventures: to Volcanoes National Park, on the Puna Coast, and to Waipio Valley. Warren is a soft-spoken kind man that knows & loves Hawaii, will show you things you might not find on your own, treat you to a great adventure (and a good meal & snacks!) & good conversation, and teach you things of great importance! Your time with him is well spent and a very good value. The Big Island is not a flashy place or fast-moving vacation spot -- it's a beautiful place that many call home with a great spirit of Aloha that you feel everywhere you go. If you choose to spend some time with Warren instead of on big, crowded tours you'll learn more about Hawaii -- it's history -- and the people!
2) Eat at Thai Thai -- either takeout or at the restaurant.
3) Eat at Kilauea Lodge for a special meal -- good food & friendly people. It was our anniversary, and they had balloons, our names on the menu, and took a Polariod of us in front of the fireplace :)!
4) If you go into Hilo, eat at Puka Puka on Kameamea (sp?) and shop at Hana Hou & visit with Michelle! Oh, and get ice shave and chocolate-covered sunflower seeds at Wilson's (on or by) the Bay!

• Liked — Beauty, tranquility, hospitality
  • Disliked — Like everything!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Breezes
Bangor,Maine
Reviewed 1 September 2007

My husband and I spent 3 days here and I wish it could have been MUCH more!! Kay has truly created Heaven on Earth. The property is absolutely beautiful, our lodge (Kilauea) was equally as gorgeous, and Kay is one of the kindest, most generous people you will ever meet!

I really loved how Kay would prepare our breakfast the day before and place it in our fridge. We woke up whenever we wanted, ate our delicious breakfast and fresh fruit, and then got ready for the day. No having to wake up at a set time. What was really fun for me was to come back to our lodge at the end of our day and see what was going to be for breakfast the next morning. It was like a little surprise each day!

Not only would breakfast be in our fridge, she (or Cheyenne, her very sweet assistant) would stock it with fresh fruit, water, juice, yogurt, and milk. There would also be a basket on the table filled with things we might want to snack on during the day; granola bars, oranges, apple-bananas, macadamia nuts, fruit bars, etc. If we ever needed anything more for a hike, like extra water or snacks, Kay would take care of us. She made sure we had everything we ever needed.

When my husband and I had to leave at the spur of the moment, Kay put a quick care package together for us that included water and peaches. She wanted to do even more, but we insisted it was enough. Kay really shows that she cares for her guests and she made us feel like we were part of her family.

As for the property, there is nothing else like it. I felt so at peace there. The lodge is located in the rain forest and it is so quiet! You wake up feeling rested and at peace with the world. The bed was so comfortable!! The towels and robes were incredibly thick and decadent. The views from each one are amazing! In Kilauea, the first thing you see as you wake up are the ferns and ginger right in front of you! You are surrounded by greenery and it is just gorgeous!! Each lodge is separated from each other, so you don't hear your neighbors next to you. I think I saw only one guest while I was there and that was in the Main Hale. You really do have a lot of privacy.

The gardens surrounding the lodges are incredibly beautiful! The brightly colored flowers, the delicious smells, and the glorious ferns and trees truly make you feel as though you have reached heaven.

I can NOT say enough wonderful things about this place!! If you have the time, it is worth staying here for as long as you can. Three days was not enough time for me! I already know where I'm going to stay on my next trip to the Big Island! Right here with Kay at the Volcano Village Lodge!

• Liked — It was beautiful, peaceful, and environmentally friendly.
  • Disliked — Absolutely NOTHING!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank vzteacher
charleston, sc
Reviewed 29 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at Volcano Village for 3 nights during our honeymoon. We first went to Oahu and were totally not impressed. We were feeling very down on Hawaii until we drove up to Volcano Village. It is soooooo pretty. The owner Kay thought of everything. Our little cabin was gorgeous, and we loved the memory foam bed. Everything was just so plush. We also enjoyed the hot tub and the giant cat that stood guard outside our door. Kay's breakfast burritos are to die for!!! We have tried several time to recreate the burritos but we can't do them justice.
I highly reccomend staying here. It is very convenient to the Volcano Park and she provides you with flashlights etc. to go see the lava at night.

• Liked — The overall feel of the cabin
  • Disliked — only got breakfast burritos 1 day :-)
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vacaylover2
Litchfield, NH
Reviewed 28 August 2007

There isn't more I can say that the previous reviews haven't already covered. I was excited to arrive at this property after reading the glowing recommendations. I was not disappointed! Truly relaxing, harmonious, beautiful and maintained with love by Kay. Highly recommend!

• Liked — Beautiful surroundings of rainforest.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank MerritMalloy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 19 in Volcano
Hale Ohia Cottages
Hale Ohia Cottages
#3 of 19 in Volcano

Been to Volcano Village Lodge? Share your experiences!