“great spot”

Volcano Village Lodge
Ranked #2 of 32 Volcano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2013

great boutique B & B right in the volcano village, Our family stayed there for 2 nights while we visted the Volcano national park. They provide a wonderful place to stay and made every effort to provide the little things that make a nice place great

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank John D
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Mahalo nui loa for your kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We hope to see you again on your next family vacation to Hawaii!

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Volcano Village Lodge for one night during our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived I realized we should have booked our stay for longer. The location is in a very quiet residential area, but it seems like you are right in the middle of the forest. The woman who checked us in and showed us to our room was the perfect mix of friendly and helpful.

We stayed in the Mauna Loa Suite which actually has two beds, with the master in the main room and a double in a separate bedroom. The suite is essentially a cabin with floor to ceiling windows. Even though the suite is only one of several rooms at the lodge, you still have what feels like total privacy.

Because we only had one night at the lodge we dropped off our bags, said hello to the adorable cat that roams the grounds, and headed to the Volcano National Park. After a full afternoon of hiking and dinner at a local restaurant we headed back to the lodge to enjoy some adult beverages in the hot tub. I was worried other people would be using it, but we had the hot tub to ourselves. It's a simple tub, but was very relaxing and in a very secluded area. Just be sure to keep your voices to a minimum as even though you seem to be alone, there are other guest rooms nearby.

Back in the room we realized the hotel had provided a video with information about the still erupting volcano so we watched that and enjoyed the restfulness of the suite.

In the morning we warmed up the lovely breakfast that came with the room and read through the information provided in our room about the best way to see the lava flow entering the ocean. We followed the directions provided and after a decent hike through an area marked no trespassing, we were rewarded by a lovely view of the steam rising out of the ocean where the lava was flowing.

If we ever go back to Hawaii we will definitely be making reservations for a longer stay at the Volcano Village Lodge. It would be a great destination for honeymooners like ourselves, or a family with children old enough to understand when to keep the noise level down.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heidi H
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Aloha and many mahalo’s for writing a review. We are happy to hear your kind comments about Volcano Village Lodge and our Mauna Loa suite. We know you had many places to choose from for such a special and meaningful trip. Most guests prefer to stay at least two nights with us to explore the many sights of Volcano and take time to enjoy our beautiful rooms.

When you come back to Hawaii, you and your husband will be welcomed with the Warmest Alohas!

Mahalo Nui Loa- Volcano Village Lodge Staff

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We splashed out for the final leg of our honeymoon, spending the most per night here, and found Volcano Village Lodge more miss than hit. Don't get me wrong, there's good with the bad, but for the price and rating, I expected more.

First up - and it's a biggie. Our 'private' lodge, Haleakala, has shared walls, coupled with the squeakiest bed I've ever slept in. Clearly hearing our neighbours as they walked around and chatted, and cringing at the racket when we simply rolled over, we quickly decided that and common decency and consideration for our neighbours ruled out the expected honeymoon evening entertainment, if you get my drift.

Also disappointing was the half-provision of promised services / amenities. For example - there is parking, but not enough for a car for each lodge, so last in gets the street. There is WiFi, but the signal isn't strong enough to reach or be reliable in all the villas - we were told on checkin that we could wander up to the main lodge if we needed to (which is closed and dark past 6 pm or so, but you can shelter in the rain on the dark verandah while emailing) - NBfree, available wifi was one of our 'must haves' which would have changed our decision to book here from the start. There is a tv in the lodge - but no channels, so while the DVD collection in the lodge seems like a nice touch and isn't a bad collection, your viewing is restricted to what is there.

The food was equally hit and miss. The portion of breakfast to be warmed was tasty, but with no suggested warming times or instructions it's a bit of guess work to not burn the outside or find the centre cold. The cheese that fell off the frittata on the first morning was still casually sitting on the tray of the toaster oven on the last day when we left, so that's not something housekeeping cleans. If you like fruit you're well taken care of, but I don't and that left me with cereal and oatmeal to fill me up - with 1% milk. I consider anything under 2% to be water, so left that alone. Now in fairness, I could have asked for different milk, or bought my own at the store, but for the choice of Cheerios or Cornflakes, it didn't seem worth the effort, and I just picked up brunch elsewhere. The juice is canned (haven't seen that before, don't know if it's normal?) and there is yoghurt and tea and coffee. All in all, decent enough, edible generally, but what I would expect from a 3-star B&B at half the price.

And that's what it comes down to really. When you set your prices you're setting expectations and standards. For 50% of the rate, I'd say it was awesome and charming and please oil the bed; at 75% of the rate I'd still say it was fair, and give it a shot. But for the price it was just a let down.

To provide some balance I'll list some positives - lovely setting, good bathroom, generally clean, helpful staff, friendly cat.

6  Thank SJB_Jetsets
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

We are appreciative that you came and visited our special place in paradise. Thank you for sharing your disappointment over the cost. We are in the middle of a rainforest on an island in Hawaii.
We want our guests to know that life is expensive in Hawaii. The cost of living in Hawaii and especially up here in Volcano is unbelievable. That which you take for granted on the mainland is over the edge expensive.
At Volcano Village Lodge we work hard and strive to provide our guests the most 'bang' for the buck that we possibly can based on our cost of living.
If you are considering staying with us at Volcano Village Lodge please take time to read our other reviews and get an understanding of what we are proud to provide our guests.
Volcano Village Lodge is not a typical B&B. We are a unique lodging experience near the only active volcano in the United States.
Are we expensive? Yes, we are expensive. Are we the BEST in Volcano? You bet, we are the BEST. We really appreciate each and every guest and strive to provide a memorable lodging experience.
Thank you for staying with us and we would enjoy welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

There are two perfections in Hawaii from my perspective. First, Disney on Oahu. Second, Volcano Village Lodge on the Big Island.
I researched the different places online and I was concerned that a small place like this couldn't live up to my expectations. Wrong. Why? They think of every small detail that helps a traveler on a special vacation.
This isn't Waikiki. This is a rainforest. We came here for the volcano and to see the National Park. I'm only happy that we found such a perfect place to stay.

6  Thank AlohaFever4HI
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Mahalo for writing a review for our property. Being a smaller property (5 suites), we are able to perfect our rooms with attention to details. This in turn creates a special vacation, retreat, or escape for many. We are located two miles from the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and in the heart of a native rainforest, making it an ideal place to stay.

We are ecstatic that you call Volcano Village Lodge “a perfect place to stay”. We look forward to seeing you again.

Our Warmest Alohas.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon for 3 days in mid June. We absolutely loved it. The peace and quiet along with the beauty of the surrounding area was perfect.

The two girls on the front desk were very helpful, friendly and really spoiled us! I’m a vegan and my husband is a vegetarian and we were looked after very well. Every day there was a delicious meal left for us in the fridge for our breakfast (e.g. breakfast burritos, baked purple sweet potatoes, quiche, salads, French toast, vegan breads and spreads), along with milk, soy milk, a fresh fruit plate, water, juice and a basket filled with cereals, Nature Valley bars, porridge, nuts, popcorn and more fruit!

We stayed in the Kilauea Lodge. It was perfect for two people. The only draw back was that because we were away for 4 weeks, we did find that we didn’t have as much room as we would have liked in order to store all of our luggage. Apart from that the lodge was perfect.

It was very peaceful and tranquil and the location is fantastic for getting to the Volcano National Park. We went there twice during our 3 day stay. It’s definitely worth a visit. The whole area surrounding the park is beautiful.

We went on a lava hike while staying on this side of the island which was absolutely unforgettable.

I would highly recommend the Volcano Village Lodge. I definitely want to stay here again when I return to Hawaii with my husband. This is now my favourite place to stay and by far the best of all the places we stayed in while in Hawaii. I didn’t want to leave.

Big Island is without a doubt the most magical and beautiful place I’ve ever been. I enjoyed every day I spent here and just wished I could have stayed longer.

4  Thank Eviecus

Mahalo for the kind words. The lush greenery, colorful wildflowers, giant tree ferns, and thick bamboo forest surrounding Volcano Village Lodge invites you to relax and practice the art of Zen.

We are so glad you spent some your honeymoon with us. We realize that a big trip like a honeymoon has many high expectations and we are happy to have exceeded your expectations. At Volcano Village Lodge we have many guests with dietary restrictions. Furthermore, our innkeepers have many years of experience with different dietary preferences, as well as cultural sensitivity.

Hale Kilauea, being our smallest room, does have some draw space and a closet, but we apologize for the lack of storage for your needs.

Your comments made our staff beam with smiles and we hope to see you on many of your anniversary trips. You’ll always have a place to call home at Volcano Village Lodge.

Aloha, Your Volcano Village Lodge Ohana.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife booked our stay at the Volcano Village when I was scheduled to return from an extended / streeful business trip. We were able to totally shut down and enjoy each other and the scenary. The staff was attentive, but unobtrusive. The accomidations are exactly as advertised and very comfortable. We only stayed for three nights and that was perfect for us. I could have stayed longer, but it I was planning a trip to the big island, I'd probably spend half three nights at the Volcano Village and four nights at the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris T
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review for our property. The lush, tranquility of the rainforest at Volcano Village Lodge is a great place to relax and recharge your batteries. We are glad to hear that our retreat and service were exactly what you had imagined. Furthermore, it makes us happy knowing that you had a great stay.

We welcome you back anytime. Warmest Aloha’s.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We recently spent 2 nights here and had a amazing stay in the Mauna Kea room. It was the furthest away from the reception area and felt the most private.

The reception area was very cosy and full of books and DVDs to use, as well as freshly baked choc chip cookies. The DVD library is a good idea as there is no tv reception out here.

Our room was beautiful and stocked with everything we would need over the next few days. You could tell they'd taken the time to think about their guests needs and include the little things, like binoculars and flashlights for the national park, and an umbrella. The only issue we found was that the wifi did not work in our room (too far away from the router we presume) but it worked fine in the reception area. We were warned of this when checking in, but I would've appreciated a heads up perhaps when booking the room.

The breakfasts were put in the fridge the previous afternoon for you to prepare yourself the next morning, and we found this setup very convenient. There was both a microwave and a toaster oven. The first morning we had a frittata (very yummy) and the second was French toast with Portuguese sausage- this was delicious. Again you could tell they'd taken the time to think about what would work best under these conditions. The other food provided was plentiful and enough for a days worth of eating. There was oatmeal, cereal, a fruit plate, fresh fruit, a muffin, yogurt, granola bars, microwave popcorn, macadamia nuts and a little chocolate- all for two! Then juice, water, tea, coffee, milk and hot cocoa.

We found the bed very comfortable, the shower and water pressure great, and the temperate of the room nice. There was a dehumidifier and gas fire (neither of which needed during our stay), but we enjoyed the fluffy robes and slippers. I wish we'd had time to enjoy the hot tub- if you can spend 3 nights here it's well worth it.

We would definitely stay here again.

3  Thank tazbot
emmaspencerliving, Manager at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Mahalo nui loa for sharing your thoughts!

We take great pride in knowing that our attention to detail was observed and appreciated. As frequent travelers ourselves, we like to believe that we know what items are important to guests when on vacation.

We are working to extend our WIFI range so that all of our guests can have full access from the comfort of their rooms. As it is now, all of our rooms are in range of a router, however, the farther rooms may have a weaker signal. We appreciate you mentioning this and please know that we are working to address the issue.

We hope to see you again!