“Great, Beautiful, Serene, Awesome”

Volcano Village Lodge
Ranked #2 of 32 Volcano B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2007

We just spent 3 nights at the Volcano Village Lodge. Our only regret was that we didn't have a longer stay so we could just enjoy the rainforest surroundings at this wonderful B&B.
Kay Lea is a wonderful hostess. Our mini fridge was stocked daily (fresh tropical fruit, breakfast main dish, fresh tropical breads, fresh ground Kona coffe, cereals, yogurt and juices). The accomodations were private, serene and refreshing.
We spent our days at the National Volcano Park which is only 1 mile away. After hiking during the day it was great to come back to the lodge for a soak in the hot tub.
Kay assisted us in every way possible from dining to sightseeing tips. Any need we expressed, she accomodated. She provided us with wonderful directions which allowed us a close up and personal view of active flowing lava - a sight we never would have dreamed of getting to witness first-hand. Thanks again, Kay. We traveled to the town of Hilo (30-40 minute drive) for more sightseeing and dining.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank KYtravelwithus

Reviewed 3 June 2007

My wife and I celebrated becoming "empty nesters" by retracing travels through the Pacific islands that we first did 25 years ago. The last stop on our three week, 6 country trip was two nights at the Volcano Village Lodge. We could not have asked for a more memorable experience. We stayed in the "Kiluea", a wonderful open beam, wooden lodge with floor to cieling windows that look out at the tops of the giant ferns and the local Ohia trees. We remarked to each other that we now know why they invented the term "picture window"! The views of the grounds are tranquil and the natural beauty overwhelming. The ambience that has been carved from the rain forest is one of the true "finds" in the Pacific Islands..

The Inn Keeper, Kay, prepared wonderful breakfasts of quiche and fresh fruit, or breakfast burritos and fresh fruit, which were delivered to our room daily along with fruit juices, bottled water, and breakfast bars. The food was always enough to take with us on our daily outings. The in-room wide screen TV's and movie selection were welcome endings to our days exploring the nearby National Park, and the in-room coffee pot allowed us to start the days at our own pace. Kay was also very helpful in providing local knowledge and directrions. If you plan to visit Hawaii, don't miss this place!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank travelingstone
Reviewed 1 June 2007

After reading about VVL on TripAdvisor I booked two rooms for two nights to use as our home base while exploring the volcano. I made one HUGE mistake - 2 nights is just not enough here. We were really busy, and all I wanted to do was sit on my beautiful patio and slow down. Kay makes sure that everything is perfect at the Lodge - she was one of the most gracious hosts that I have ever come across. We took out two sons (17 and 21) and while this is not the kind of place that teenagers would normally love, they were quite happy with the extensive collection of DVD's. Kay - sorry again about the late night wake up!

I can't think of one negative thing to say about this place, but I do know that if you are interested in seeing the Volcanoes there is no other place that you should stay. I want to go back now!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
11  Thank Traveler39
Reviewed 29 May 2007

Volcano Village Lodge is a very special place. I'm a frequent traveler and I don't think I've ever experienced anything so wonderful. Staying here is the most excellent prescription for stress. We chose Volcano Village Lodge because it's just one mile from the Volcano Nat'l Park, and it looked nice on the website. Those things are true, but the surprise is how beutiful and calming this lodge is. It's almost like being on a retreat. The paths, the garden, the individual cottages, the seclusion, the amazing aroma of natural cedar in the cottage, and how warm and welcoming the owner, Kay, is are some of the things that make this lodge special.

Kay is amazing. Clearly this is a labor of love and not just a business for her. When we told her we had to get up early for a helicopter tour, she brought an alarm clock (which we gladly returned the next day!) and even offered to phone the helicopter company to get us a later tour. I was impressed with how perfectly clean everything was. My own cottage had complete seclusion and privacy. The breakfasts are delicious and a daily fun surprise. In fact, our mistake was that we planned each day so full, I didn't get to spend as much time as I would like just sitting, relaxing, and taking in the solitude and beuty. But how wonderful to wake up to it each morning!

For those wanting a beutiful, calming setting for their stay on the Big Island, this place is perfect.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank JLB
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Kay has built a wonderful getaway in Volcano--an ideal spot to explore the volcano from. We stayed in the Kilauea Lodge, and enjoyed our 270 degree views of the rainforest. The bed was absolutely luscious to sit on--a big thick foam mattress made it heaven to stretch out on (though I tend to turn into a blazing inferno when I sleep, and the foam reflected the heat back, which lead to me kicking the blankets off).

Kay was a gracious hostess, without being intrusive in any way. Our breakfasts were tasty (loved the quiche!), and came with snacks and bottled drinks we could take along while out exploring. We enjoyed watching DVDs about the volcano and about the fish we'd be seeing later in our trip, while snorkeling.

The Kilauea has great access to the hot tub, which was only 25 feet down the raised walkway, and which was a great way for us to relax our last morning there, after hiking and exploring. And the main lodge has all sorts of resources available to guests--laptop with internet access; books; DVDs; and what looked like a never ending supply of macadamia nuts ready for cracking.

An excellent choice for a stay in Volcano--we will definitely return if we're ever lucky enough to be back on the Big Island.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank creative_matter
Reviewed 27 May 2007

We live in Kenya and were visiting Hawaii for a break in search of peace, serenity, beauty, and a bit of adventure/active travel. We found it all in Volcano. There is a special energy (mana) at Volcano Village Lodge that pervades the entire setting. We immediately connected with Kay (on-site owner and innkeeper), who actively sought to make our stay comfortable and special, yet private. We stayed in Moana Loa, which was spacious and had a fantastic fishbowl effect giving the impression that we were alone in a fern forest. Privacy was not an issue, since the paths were created such that no one walks right by your lodge, and the glass walls (on 3 sides) prevents those outside from seeing in. Kay has considered every detail and was thoughtful enough to provide Belgian beer, knowing that one of us was Belgian but living in Kenya.

We would have stayed longer, but the lodge was full. We had to shift to another B&B which was in the same price range but mildewy and not nearly as special or personable. We have stayed at several beautiful and luxurious places all over the world. Kay's place, mostly due to her thoughtfulness, service-oriented nature, and attention to detail, continues to call us back even now - a rare event!

We whole-heartedly and without reservation recommend Volcano Village Lodge to any and all travelers seeking refuge in a piece of paradise.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
13  Thank MindfulTraveler
Reviewed 25 May 2007

My wife and I stayed here for three days as part of our honeymoon. I echo all of the positive things that have been said. The cabins are beautiful, with gorgeous furnishing, a large shower, and a comfortable bed. The owner, Kay, was fantastic ... she was above and beyond helpful. The breakfasts were tasty every day. The surroundings are amazing.

There is one thing everyone, particularly honeymooners, should take note of, however. We booked the largest lodge, Mauna Loa. Three walls are completely glass ... there are shades that allow you to see out, but do not allow others to see in ... this allows for a beautiful view of the rainforest ... during the day. Unfortunately, at night, the opposite is true. Even with the shades down, if there is any light at all on in the cabin, anyone outside can see in. On top of that, the Mauna Loa cabin is right in the middle of the property ... everyone has to walk right by it to get to their own cabin. This creates a bit of a fishbowl effect ... kind of the exact opposite of what you want on your honeymoon ...

To be fair, people kept to themselves and we are sure that no one was looking. The problem was pretty much entirely in our heads, but it was a problem nonetheless. It made us uncomfortable and forced us to keep the cabin very dark at night. We spoke to Kay about this and she did her absolute best to accomodate us. She gave us some screens which helped some.

The bottom line is that I would recommend anyone to stay here, even honeymooners. However, if you are on your honeymoon or are particularly guarded with your privacy, you should NOT book the Mauna Loa or the Kilauea cabins ... the other two are at the back of the property and the glass walls face the rainforest. I truly believe that if we had been in one of those, our stay here would have been perfect.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dlb1978
KayLeeVVL, Owner at Volcano Village Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2007

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

My intent was to select the shades (95% opaque) that would harmoniously blend the outside-inside of this naturally beautiful place. I am now convinced that a feeling of privacy is an equally important issue. I also appreciate the fact that no matter how private the place may be, if the occupants feel exposed in anyway, I have to do something right away.
I'll consult with an interior decorator to see how we can provide more privacy while still revealing the beauty of the incredible rain forest garden. Please be assured that we will do this right away.

Again, I appreciate your wonderfully respectful and constructive feedback.

Mahalo!