“Adorable cottage, lovely seclusion”

Volcano Artist Cottage
Culver City, California
“Adorable cottage, lovely seclusion”
Reviewed 23 March 2011

My husband and I went to Hawaii to celebrate our five-year wedding anniversary. We spent three nights at The Artist Cottage and LOVED it. The cottage is comfortable, and every possible detail was taken care of which made it a perfect place to return to at the end of a day of sightseeing. The breakfast provided was delicious and we loved visiting with Ernest the goat each morning before heading out.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kmfukuda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Volcano, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Staying at the Volcano Artist Cottage was one of the most delightful 2 days I've spent on any island. The Cottage is delightfully decorated and thoughtfully supplied with all the things a traveler may need. The property is like a fantasy land with art, plants, and a tree room (great place to meditate or read or just sit and relax) and Ernest the goat. Ira Ono, the owner, is charming, welcoming, entertaining and shares details about the community that you'd never find on Google. Deffinately have lunch at the Cafe - great vegetarian food!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 August 2010

OK, I used TripAdvisor quite extensively while planning my trip to the Big Island, so it's only fair to return here and add my notes on my experiences. I learned about this B&B from the Lonely Planet guidebook, which was oddly the worst thing about the experience because Lonely Planet mixed up the address for this place I think. My gf and I should have just followed Mr. Ono's directions written in his email. Once we did that, we found the place easily.
Also, while using TripAdvisor, I usually read the bad reviews first, just to see what's the worst thing people can say about a place. I think it's worth noting that this place only got 2 negative reviews and I'll address the points mentioned.
1. It's small. Yes, it is. It's a cozy cottage. And it was all we needed. Yes, we unpacked our bags in the kitchen. It didn't bother us. I've been in expensive hotels that did not have the luxury of having a kitchen, or fresh fruit and bread to eat too. Also, this cottage was built in 1908. It was expanded with a nice added-on bathroom.
2. The shower did not have enough hot water. Well, this was perhaps our only gripe too. Actually, the water was hot enough, but the pressure was not very strong. But the property is nestled in a rainforest and all of the water comes from collected-water tanks. So, to hell with it. We were still able to wash up (with hot water), and the bed was still a comfortable place to restore our energy from all-day hiking in the Nat'l Park.
Now on to the selling points:
It is nearly walking distance to Volcanoes National Park. That's a big deal. We met many people who came to the park from Hilo or further and they missed out on some activities because of the need to drive back to where they were staying. My gf and I pushed ourselves to do a lot, and still had time to come back to the Cottage to relax, and then head back to the park for night-time lava viewing. This point alone was worth the cost of admission.
Second, it is a really charming place. I love the tropics, gardens, tropical foliage, rain, fruit... things the Cottage offers in abundance.
There is a friendly and cute cat who roams the gardens and will come say hi to you in the morning.
There is a goat named Ernest who lives in a little pen in the garden.
There is a cafe behind the art store that serves organic sandwiches and salads that are very tasty. My gf and I got them to pack some sandwiches to-go for our hiking trip in Volcanos NP and they really hit the spot. Also, we got a 10 percent discount on them for being guests at the cottage. (They had pretty decent chocolate-almond cookies too).
You get a 10 percent discount on art purchases at the store. My gf bought some earrings. They have some nice stuff.
One reviewer complained about the bookshelves and the armchair. I actually enjoyed reading some selections from Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed while sitting there in Mr Ono's armchair, so I guess "to each his own." Also, regarding the reviewer who complained about the heater, my gf was able to operate it without any problem, and it was nice to use on our last night, while we listened to the soft raindrops hitting the roof. It kept the cottage cozy and comfortable.
All in all, a great stay, and highly recommended to anyone who wants to do a multi-day visit to the Park (which is the only way to see it all).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank subaquatic
Holualoa
Reviewed 2 August 2010

What a wonderful restful atmosphere Ira has created! The cottage has every amenity! From the cozy bed, and beautiful gardens, to wonderful Hawaiian coffee and banana/mac nut bread, a stay in this cottage will rest your body, mind and soul!
Thanks Ira!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Holualoa, Hawaii
Reviewed 28 June 2010

The cottage is best suited for a couple but we managed quite well with our toddler along. She loved exploring the different parts of the garden and playing hide and go seek among the sculptures. The cottage has a fairly well equipped kitchenette (and small outdoor grill) making it easy to store & prepare travel snacks. It would be possible to prepare a meal but we chose to go to one of the nearby restaurants. It was wonderful to wake up and hear the native bird songs.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 April 2010

The Artist Cottage was a dream. It was really easy to find in our newly hired car out of Hilo. Great welcome, fresh fruit, fresh flowers and lots of smiles and travel tips from Ira. The brownie in the cafe was to die for and they even packed us dinner for the evening too. Ernest the goat was charming and the setting and location in beautiful grounds was homely and brilliant. Not too posh but certainly not tatty, the hotel up the road looks rather stuffy by comparison. Our bed was very comfy and the bathroom was just so roomy and luxurious. The water shortage made sharing showers fun too.

A home from home indeed. Handy guide books and maps were supplied too. This place gets a hearty recommendation from us to anybody wanting to stay in Volcano Village.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Zubenelgenubi28
Reviewed 1 April 2010

This was an idyllic setting, surrounded by lush landscape, garden art and Ernest the goat. The cottage was spotless. Compared to the condos of Kohala or K-K, the cottage was small. But it made you realize that you truly do not need all that much space, when everything is at your fingertips and you have acres of quiet, beautiful landscape around you. Two nights wasn't enough. I'd stay there longer as a contemplative retreat if I had more time. Make sure to visit the volcano at night -- truly an experience.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 19 in Volcano
Lotus Garden Cottages
Lotus Garden Cottages
#1 of 31 in Volcano

Been to Volcano Artist Cottage? Share your experiences!