“Very unprofessional and inconsiderate customer services”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Aloha Crater Lodge

Aloha Crater Lodge
Ranked #14 of 31 Volcano B&B and Inns
“Very unprofessional and inconsiderate customer services”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

First of all, I did not even stay at this so call hotel. I booked my room bc of all the positive thing I read. I had to cancel due to a hurricane iselle and tropical storm julio that was approching the week i am staying there. I have two kids: age 2 and 5mos. I asked if they would be considerate enough to waive the cancellation fee $75 bc of the bad weather. I had to cancel all my flights with full refund from united. Instead of being nice about it, the person name shannon fisher just shot me down like I was stupid enough to call them. She state that she had been there for 20years and never had a problem with a small tropical storm. It was a hurricane category 2-3 follow by a tropical storm name julio. In my books thats not a small storm. She is not willing to refund anything. And said if you want to stay with us next time, we will credit you. No, i dont want a credit. It was not my fault, and i dont want to get charge a fee for it. So i called back later and got a guy this time and believed it was the owner. All he said was the hurricane is weakening and by saturaday, it should be ok. Who is guaranteeing my saftey and the saftey of my childrens? He stated as i quote "its really cool to be here in a storm, you get to stay in your room and its magical." Who will say that! People who is inconsiderate and don't have kids. I'm not going to be stuck on an island that might or might not get hit with a major hurricane. Anyhow, just to warn you! Don't you ever cancel for any reason or else they are inconsiderate about your situation and you will kiss your hard earn money goodbye!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mililani, Hawaii
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We chose the Aloha Crater Lodge because we wanted to see the Kazumura lava tube. We were not disappointed. It was fascinating. Bring long pants, closed-toed shoes or hiking boots, a flashlight and a camera.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank That_Doug_Guy
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The owners are very kind and wonderful people. Even though we got there after dark, it was easy to find with the help of the owners directions and they even came out to greet us after 9pm. The breakfast had a lot of great options including local produce. The lava tube tour made it a 5 out of 5, so amazing!! This place is a real gem on the Big Island.

1 Thank Aaron M
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a pleasant experience at our first bed and breakfast. Choice of breakfast food was enough for my husband and me. Bed was comfortable and it was nice to have a dehumidifier in the room. The only problem was no light over the bathroom mirror. It made it difficult for my husband to shave. It was nice to get a free tour of a lava cave with the owner who could tells us about lava caves. I would be willing to go here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1.

1 Thank Kim L
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed in a small room with the kitchenette and the small jacuzzi tub in the same room! Cob webs in the kitchenette/jacuzzi room. The dishes & silverware were not clean. We were afraid to turn on the fan because the fan had at least an inch of dust on it! They had a very small room that looked like a closet with no door, no dresser or anyplace to unpack your clothes. They had small shelves but they were filled with storage stuff. The carpet was filthy!!!
The owners were very nice and friendly. The Lava Tube was fabulous! The small cakes and fruits were great when they remembered to bring them to us. Very secluded and lush area.

Room Tip: If you like to take showers make sure they don't give you room #4. It has only a small jacuzzi...
1 Thank IldikoS
Fresno, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My sister and I were here a few years ago. Same gorgeous location, rainforest lush and beautiful.
Only negative were the grimy bedspreads and blankets underneath , this time around. I should've asked Shannon to wash them.
Good value for the money. This is a rustic B&B, not the Ritz Carlton. Shannon brought fresh towels promptly, delicious tea cakes in the morning, and fresh papaya and local bananas, too.

Room Tip: Make sure the bed spreads and blankets are fresh and clean. Lat time they were, this trip, not so m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Leigh W
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We paid more than 160 dollars to stay in a room with furniture that was taken from a rubbish dump. Everything was dirty. We didn't want to touch anything.
The first time I used the toilet it was obstructed. I told the owner and he didn't help me, he just told me: take this plunge, help yourself!
The breakfast was terrible, and of course the cups were dirty so we couldn't even get a coffe.
I don't want to comment anything about the religious propaganda, because everyone has his beliefs, but it can be a little bit scary.

Room Tip: Simply choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 19 in Volcano
Aloha Junction Bed and Breakfast

Been to Aloha Crater Lodge? Share your experiences!