“The Best”

Volcano Hale
San Diego, California
“The Best”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have stayed at Volcano Hale and at Lokili Lodge and enjoyed them both. The facilities are excellent, clean and all sorts of amenities are available to travellers like myself and my family. This time I stayed with my two daughters and we had cooking available, but ate in Volcano, Pahoa and Hilo and Kona instead, due to our travels around the island. I would recommend if you want privacy stay at Lokili lodge, if you want economy with amenities stay at Volcano Hale and the main lodge Chalet Kilauea is beauty in a rainforest. They have breakfast to die for. What a find. The BEST. Rick Bizzoco, Professor

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to review Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. First of all, as a returning guest, thank you for visiting us again. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and always like to hear about our guests' experiences in Volcano. We hope you had lovely travels as you toured the Island and welcome you back for any future vacations to Volcano, Hawaii.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The shared bathroom was not a problem at all. The property (rooms, bathrooms, living room, kitchen) is very clean. You can also get an excellent and cheap breakfast before you start your busy day on the trals of the Park...The only remark is about the rooms: too small for travellers that are planning to spend 2 or more weeks in Hawaii and have big suitcases.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aloha and Mahalo for reviewing Volcano Hale on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. While I agree that for some people, the rooms are not ideal for long term stays, however, we have many guests that do utilize the rooms for up to a month at a time. We do try our best to provide a nice place to stay for people working with a lower budget, and our prices at Volcano Hale are unbeatable for the Volcano National Park area. Again, thank you for your comments and feedback and hope to see you on any future vacations on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

What a great place! Fairly cheap but immaculate. Bathroom sharing was not and issue over our 3 night stay. We stayed in Lihua room- fairly small but adequate. Shared kitchen is very well equipped.... just bring along your coffee for the dripolator, and tea and other supplies. Cooking a meal was easy but we splurged and went to Volcano House for a fantastic meal one night. Food prices were good but wine was expensive. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your review. We are always pleased to hear about our guests' experiences with us and appreciate comments and feedback as well. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and welcome your return on any future Volcano vacations. Again, Aloha and Mahalo from Chalet Kilauea Collections!!!!!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Before I share my comments, it's worth noting that I stayed in the Lehua room of the Volcano Hale shared building which is just one part of Chalet Kilauea so be sure to find reviews that match whatever type of room you want as some are shared, others are not...

That said, as someone who was looking to have a clean bed, nice place to shower and was out at the Volcano before breakfast started, their accommodations were perfect, very well priced, and easy.

The room & building:

Lehua is a small, basic room just big enough for a queen bed, small tv and your bags. Perfect for a night stop, probably not ideal if you want to stay in for hours. 3 of us shared a very well furnished bathroom (with 2 more available up & downstairs) but aside from a brief passing in the halls, I never noticed anyone else or had any impact on my access. Towels & bathroom amenities are all provided as well.

There was also a community kitchen for the whole building (8 or so rooms) with a full sized fridge, water glasses, and what looked to be basic cooking tools provided.

WiFi was faster than anything I find in big name properties, probably because everyone was either out or asleep.

The hotel is well located on the lower side of Volcano. 10 minutes from the visitor center & national park and 5 from downtown Volcano shops & restaurants. It's a quiet town that closes early so plan ahead.

My only real frustration was the narrow window for check-in which they list as 3-5 (or after hours for a key left in a lock box). That said, it's hard enough to find anything in the town of Volcano so taking a break in daylight hours to sign in was probably a god idea.

Room Tip: The website photos don't do justice so be sure to ask about the room if you need more than the b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Aloha and thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We always welcome any comments or feedback that may help us or future guests have the best experience possible. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Volcano Hale and hope to see you for any future trips to the Big Island. Again, thank you for your comments and Mahalo!!!!
Shanghai
Reviewed 26 July 2013

As a Chinese visiting scholar at UH, I was doing research on tradtional Chinese theatre in Hawaii, so I was excited to find four Peking Opera wooden idols in the living room on the middle floor when I stayed in the Room Kahili one night in March 2013, which has left me a briliant impression and sweet memory.

Room Tip: I was wondering who brought the four idols as decoration, why s/he did so, and where the idols were...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Humboldt, Iowa
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Loved staying here. We stayed in the Malia room. It had a nice size bed, very clean, nice bathroom (there were 3 rooms on this ground level but we rarely had to wait for bathroom usage and it still felt pretty private). Easy access to outside. I wish all our vacations had an option like this!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Char440
ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Aloha!! Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate any feedback or recommendations from our guests that will help us make Volcano Hale (Chalet Kilauea Collection) even better for future guests. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again on any future "Volcano vacations"!!!! Best wishes to you and thanks again.
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My stay in the Malia room was more than I could have ever hoped for. This was my home away from home while I spent the days and early evenings with family for the week. Everything I needed was at my finger tips and a trip to the grocery store gave me simple meals tucked in the shared refrigerator utilizing many of the shared pots & pans and dishes. Everyone in the hale was friendly and always generous in cleaning up after themselves. A perfect perfect place to stay!

Room Tip: I preferred the ground floor, lugging only myself to the second floor kitchen and additional bath wh...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rondene W
ChaletKilauea, Guest Relations Manager at Volcano Hale, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to utilize Volcano Hale as a place to spend quality time with your family. Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and we hope to see you again for any future Volcano vacations. Aloha and Mahalo!!!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Chalet Kilauea
#14 of 31 in Volcano
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 19 in Volcano

Been to Volcano Hale? Share your experiences!