“Hapu`u Bungalow-- Embrace your inner exibitionist (and stay away from the robes)”
Review of Chalet Kilauea

Chalet Kilauea
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Volcano
Reviewed 18 June 2008

We stayed in the Hapu`u Bungalow for 2 nights while visiting Volcano Park.

Our check in was very quick and we were given a map and information regarding which restaurants were still open (as it was already 7:30pm when we got there) which was much appreciated.

From the main office, we drove right around the corner to the Hapu`u Bungalow. I noticed that the bungalow did have a slight propane smell and it didn't go away for the length of our stay.

I immediately had to check out the unique lava rock shower and it was 'interesting'. It kinda looked like someone had put black tar type substance on one wall.

And then I realized that the shower had 2 walls of glass with just some frosted sections. No, we didn't see anyone lurking outside when we showered but I guess I'm just a bit more conservative. I also didn't use the Jacuzzi tub as the window behind that no covering or frosted glass.

And lest I forget the robes there -- waiting for us. Let's just say that you would have to offer me lots and lots of money to try it on. Both were very stained and yellow in places .. let me just say YUCK and move on.

Breakfasts were good/basic. There was bagels, toast, fresh fruit, cereal and then a 'goodie' (bread pudding). The gentleman who tended to the breakfast was very personable and we enjoyed chatting with him each morning,

There was free internet in the common room which we used.

Could I recommend this place-- that’s a difficult question. It's not a luxury experience but it was very different and interesting. We talked to some other folks who stayed in Volcano Park and their hotel was downright dreadful. There are not a lot of choices in Volcano, so I guess I would recommend this as an interesting experience.

I've attached some photos - some are with a fish eye lens.

PS -- My husband read this and his 2 cent is: Hey, we had a good time there. I thought it was better than what you just wrote. There was a propane smell? Never noticed.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 May 2008

We spent three nights at the Inn at Volcano in the Treehouse Suite and Jade Room. We had a great time at the property with the clean rooms, beautiful grounds, large hottub, and a huge lounge to enjoy free internet, tea, tv, reading, and visiting with other travelers. We especially loved the Treehouse Suite. It has a huge bathroom, tv, jacuzzi tub, shower, door to your private outdoor sitting area, and fireplace. The upstairs has a huge bedroom, king size bed, and great view of the tropical landscaping with sounds of the koi pond below. We dimmed the lights in the little foyer to light our way at night which added to the room ambience. I have to mention again the rooms were CLEAN which is very important to the quality of my experience. The location is convient to the town and the Volcano Park. Valerie and Susan could not have been nicer. We will return if we come this way again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2008

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"

Indeed if the basic amenities were in place this would have been a marvelous experience. We had a whirlpool bath, lava rock shower, bathrobes, microwave, refrigerator, TV, DVD player, radio, and a magnificent setting. BUT there were no drawers and no closets. We lived out of our suitcases for 3 days!

No help was available to help these older travelers carry their baggage up and down a flight of stairs to the room.

The breakfasts were passable but for the price I had expected more. The young man in the breakfast room was charming.

Don't stay here unless you don't mind living out of a suitcase.

As you can see from the photos this place has a lot of charm. Unfortunately not enough attention has been paid to the basic needs of the traveler.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Chalet Kilauea Collection charged my credit card, days after my stay, for a map from the gift shop. Problem was, I paid cash for the map, which by the way can be procured much cheaper in Hilo or at one of the general stores in Volcano Village. So far, they have not refunded this errant charge, nor have they provided a full explanation. They are just stalling.

Other than that, there is probably more value for the price to be had by staying at a Hotel in Hilo. While Volcano Village is a stones throw from Volcano National Park, there is nothing else to do in sleepy Volcano Village. The drive from Hilo to the national park and the lava flow observation point is scenic and not too bad of a distance.

The Treehouse Suite at Inn at the Volcano was adequate, but not worth the price per night. The continental breakfast was also adequate, but nothing special -- typical cold bread, juice, and cereal breakfast. The breakfast did, however, come with an employee that was far too attentive, to the point where he was swarming the tables -- it was like having someone sitting next to you watching your ever bite.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 19 March 2008

This inn is located right outside the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I wish we had stayed in Hilo instead. The Hapu'u suite is a self-standing unit. I paid a lot of money for this place and was extremely disappointed. We first walked in and it smelled awful. We opened up all the windows, no screens though, in a rain forest. There was a propane fireplace and that is what it smelled like. It is a very funky place, and felt like camping, damp and dark. The jacuzzi is a nice size and the shower has glass doors to the outside. There is a small kitchen area and a front porch. I returned to the front desk and complained about the odor. I was told to open all the windows and maybe it was the sulfur gas from the park. The park had a strong sulfur odor that day but the suite did not smell like sulfur and actually was worse than the park had been. When we returned that night the smell was the same and I should have asked for a different room but i did not. The next morning I complained again and they said they would turn the gas off, which they did. The smell was much better by the second night and it was worth it to not have a fireplace but be able to breath.
On the plus side, there is a computer with internet access free to use, a nice outdoor hot tub under a covering so you can use it in the rain. The continental breakfast was simple but had fresh fruit, various breads, cereals and coconut or bread pudding. If my room had been better, my experience would have been more positive. For the price though, I would stay in Hilo and drive to Volcano park.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2008

We arrived last in the night, but Valerie was most helpful in helping us get checked in, and settled down.

The Tree House room was great, with a spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom. King size bed and jetted bath tub. And a private outdoor patio where you can enjoy the garden.

In the morning sun, I was suprised to see the lush garden here, with a garden pond filled with koi fish.

The Inn at Volcano is just outside of the Volcano National Park, so getting to the park is easy. 5 minute drive.

We look forward to returning in the future.

Glen and Nikki
Salt Lake City, Utah

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 19 January 2008

We stayed in Volcano House, which is an old bed and breakfast. We got one room while different people were staying in the other 5. The only bad thing was the line at the bathroom in the morning, but thats to be expected. I was charged an extra $15 a night (from $65) for an extra futon to sleep on, which I think was way too much. (And there was already a futon in the room anyway!!).
Otherwise it's a nice place. It's an actual house so you can sit in the living room, cook food in the kitchen, and eat in the dining room. And also sit and chat with your fellow travelers staying there. All of which is nice.
Remember to go to the farmers market down the street at 6am Sundays!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Volcano
Arnott's Lodge
Dolphin Bay
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 7 in Hilo
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to Chalet Kilauea? Share your experiences!