“Best value for golf on Big Island”

Waikoloa Village Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: A par-72 course located at a 1,000 foot elevation.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have played this course many times over the last 10 years and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a good, fair test of your golf game.

Here are some pros and cons of this course:
1. If you are looking for a upscale, immaculately groomed resort course like the Four Seasons, this isn't it. However, if you would like a very nice course at a great price...you found it.
2. This is a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Designed course and I love it architecturally. It's fair, with open fairways and challenging greens.
3. With the course being 10 minutes up the road from the oceanfront resorts like the Hilton Waikoloa, Mauna Lani, Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea, it has great views. You are about 1,000 feet up in elevation and visually it's just amazing.
4. I love the laid back feel of this course. I played yesterday with my 16 yr. old son who is just learning to play golf. He had a great time and everyone was very nice. It's not stuffy like many of the upscale courses.
5. My son and I played 18 holes with a cart for $55 total. For a course like this in Hawaii, that's incredible. We bought a condo here last year since I fell in love with the area and I pay less as an owner, but it's still ridiculously affordable. If you are looking for a place to stay, contact me and you can get great rates as my guest.
6. If you, your spouse or children are learning and need a lesson from a pro...get one here. My son got a one hour lesson for $30.

Cons:
1. When I played yesterday, the greens weren't in great shape. They still rolled pretty well, but they were the worse I have seen them.
2. I wish they used real sand in the bunkers.
3. If a layout like this spent a little more on course maintenance, it would rival any track on the island...but then you would be paying $400 like the Four Seasons instead of $50.

2  Thank fischman44

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Go early before the heat sets in, loved playing next to the ocean. Petroglyphs were very interesting, However, did see a smiley face that couldn't possibly have historical meaning! lol

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Went on a whim as I have not played there for awhile. The staff is always friendly and the course can play difficult if the wind picks up. The course is friendly enough, that a good round can be had. Like to play in the late afternoon to catch the sunset. It's a gorgeous sight, since the course sits hight in Waikoloa, can see the sunset over the ocean. That view never gets old.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

For the past few years we have played this course when we come to the Big Island. It's a Trent Jones Jr. course. However, condition are not what you would find at a resort course. Much closer to a muni course in conditions. The greens are bit ugly The course is wide open!! With many sand bunkers and a few forced carries. Most of the course is fairly flat with a few hilly holes. The course is set mostly among condos with a few distant views of the ocean. Nice value in a golf course. decent range and staff. There is decent bar/restaurant. $85 to 50. This course is mostly used by the Village locals and those that stay in the condos.

1  Thank Roy H
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The course is located upcountry and had wide fairways and good greens. It is great for vacation "couples" golf and very reasonably priced. The pro shop and bag staff were great. We enjoyed a nice lunch before our round. The course had new Taylormade clubs and new carts. The rental clubs came with a new dozen Taylormade golf balls...a pleasant surprise.
Very good pace of play for a resort destination--->4 hour round with 2 groups ahead of us.
A great day and a great round...

4  Thank jracer98