“Lava Roy's tour”

Lava Roy's Ocean Adventure Tours
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This was a great trip. The crew was wonderful and extremely helpful. Yes, this was a small craft with no frills, hence the word "adventure". I want to thank Roy for his outstanding manner in scheduling this with me and and great big thanks to the crew that took us out. This was my wife's first time on a boat and she was scared to death of the thought of being on the water, but the professionalism of the crew made this a wonderful experience that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

1  Thank Tim_Prince

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Firstly, it is important to note that this is an "adventure" tour, so be prepared that this is not a luxury boat experience, but an experience that is absolutely worth doing. The boat is a typical fishing boat used in the area, and so, the seating and boat ride is rugged, but adding some comfort is the definite extensive experience of our captain, Eugene.

Roy was fantastic. A down to earth local, Roy cancelled the tour on our first try because of the rough seas, and I was ever so grateful given that the sea is not smooth, even on its best days. He (and the booking lady) were knowledgeable and helpful. Roy came to meet us and gave us an unexpected and educational overview of the boat and other similar vessels. He texted and called when he cancelled and was very confident the next day would be much better. We were so glad we took that chance, as he was 100% right.

Eugene, our captain, was kind and confident. He explained he wouldn't talk a lot along the route as he preferred to "keep his eyes on the road." That was just fine by us, as the boat ride definitely requires some attention by an experienced hand. We hung on tight...

Then the magic happened. Eugene got us close enough to feel the heat, but never close enough to endanger anyone. I noticed his distances to the lava flows varied according to size of the flow, increasing our confidence in his capabilities. The views are phenomenal! There were several active flows, one of which was quite a show - even enough to have the captain take pictures himself! Watching the lava hit the ocean, seeing flaming rock floating on a hot ocean of green, the sea throwing fine black sediment onto the newly forming black sand beaches, steam rising with every flow - pictures can only touch the awesomeness of such an experience. Eugene went back a couple of times to allow for pictures, and even stayed a little longer at the new, large, and impressive flow.

I am nervous on ocean waves without much between me and the water, but aside from that, knew the captain was taking good care of us. Roy is nice, down to earth and humorous. He is college educated in marine archeology, and still carries the passion, so trust him, and you should have no issues with him.

Having called a larger tour company in the area initially, I was surprised by their lack of what the locals call "the Aloha spirit" - Lava Roy's company definitely restored my faith and by answering my many questions, made me comfortable to take this majestic, unforgettable trip.

3  Thank BCVisitors_13
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I agree with everyone that the lava flow into the ocean is AMAZING. Just do it with another carrier. Lava Roy is horrible, inconsiderate, and a miserable person to be around. My husband was concerned about saying anything on the boat for Roy was not stable. Don't go out with his ship.

3  Thank CF290
Reviewed 15 March 2013

When we headed to The Big Island it was all about seeing the lava. Sadly, we learned from the park ranger in Volcano National Forest to do so you had to hike in over ten miles, take a helicopter or go by boat. Since we were all about the lava we opted to take the boat at night, as recommended by the hotel staff where we stayed. One word:WOW! My husband and I travel a lot and this was in our top ten things in our life so far, (including Rome Attractions, Disney, etc). What we loved about Lava Roy's is that it's locally owned, they only take a small amount of people at a time, the boat alone is run to ride on, and you are so close to the lava you can feel the heat, hear it pop and hit the water, and will exceed your expectations! Be sure to make a reservation in advance, as tour had a waiting list when we went...we were lucky enough to be flexible on dates.

4  Thank ourkidsrule2
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was slightly afraid of what to expect considering some of the reviews, and indeed, Roy had misplaced our reservation... but the matter was swiftly resolved and he proved to be a man of his word in accomodating us on board and more. Actually, we got the best spot there is: the bow, all to ourselves with no one to get in your way when you want to get that great shot ! Plus Roy takes you so close to the ocean lava entry that you sail in between steamy floating lava bombs trying to cool down in the water. We got so close I had to use wide angle to take pictures ! In addition, we got to stay well over 30 minutes and had ample time to enjoy all of the three ocean entries. The ride is sometimes rough but hey, this is an ocean and a big one, so be prepared. The boat is otherwise comfy and Roy a true sea pro - no worries there.
All in all a breathtaking experience that is highly recommended. So, if you want to see it close, go for Roy. As for us, if there is a next time, it will be a Roy time.

3  Thank fred98702