“A hoel where service exceeds expectations”

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Our flight from the mainland to Kona was about 9 hours late; arriving about 2:30AM. My wife and I arrived at the hotel about 3:15AM. We were greeted by a "Bellman" who unloaded our luggage, escorted us to the check-in desk and accompanied us to our room
This guy was exceptional as he also "valet" parked our car. Which we retrieved the following day; no charge except for small gratuity.
Our room was furnished to Marriott's standards. Plus it had been made "feather-free" per our request. I'm allergic to feathers! Our room was situated with a partial ocean and garden view. Which was desirable, as we were away from the pools and outside dining areas; noise factors.
The hotel is located on a bay. Has an excellent beach. With many water toys available. If you should want alternative to the "resort" atmosphere Kilauea-Kona is about 20 minutes away. The city offers an imponderable number of restaurants and shopping opportunities'
Unfortunately, I became ill with "chest" pains about 4 days into our vacation. Hotel management stepped into the breach coordinating my transfer between our room and a waiting emergency vehicle. held an elevator for our exclusive use. The valet attendant also moved our car to the emergency pickup point so my wife could follow to the emergency room located in Kamuela. He also provided step by step direction to my wife should she become separated from the EMT vehicle.
In the aftermath, the hotel's management extended our room reservation and time of check-out to co-inside with our late evening departure two days later; only charged for one extra room night; no late check out fee.

Room Tip: This hotel offers so many choices for room locations that it would be impossible to make a recommend...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francis B
There are newer reviews for Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I just spent a week at this resort. I am giving a terrible review for two reasons:

1) I forgot in our room 3 nice cocktail dresses and a shawl, hung in the closet. I realized this only when I got back home; I did not pack them at all. My bad, yes, but these things happen. I called the hotel immediately, but the clothes apparently are nowhere to be found. The room had not been occupied by other customers since our checkout, just the housekeepers got in there. Really?! You want me to believe that 3 hangers with dresses just evaporated?! This makes me *so* angry. I bought those dresses in Italy and had not only sentimental value, but a commercial value of over $400. The hotel management, after several phone calls and emails, is now filing a claim and promising to refund me, but I am not getting my dresses back. (Oh and they were even condescending and suggesting my clothes were just hiding in my suitcase.)

2) I got food poisoning from their beach restaurant. It's the only place where I ate before I had a terrible stomach flu, which caused me to spend an entire night hugging the toilet, and the following day in bed.

Definitely a vacation I want to forget about, and I am posting this bad review everywhere I can. I will not stay at a Marriott ever again, the employees who stole my property and lied about it ruined the reputation of this chain.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Candidi S
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It's been a year since we stayed but I wanted to write my review. This hotel was absolutely by far one of my most favorite that I have ever stayed in. I LOVED the sea turtles. They come up onto the beach to sleep every night. Everyone is respectful and gives them their space and there is more than enough time for each person to have time to photograph them without others in their photos. The pools are fantastic. I NEVER had to fight for seats as there was ALWAYS ample seating around all the pools. They have a long slide that I even rode on alot and I'm 45 years old. Yes you do have to give tickets to the towel cart but who cares as you have a ton of tickets. We got 2 towels for our chairs and one to dry off with. We were upgraded to a large corner room without asking and it was huge! It easily fit us with room to spare. The staff was all helpful and teh conciege helped me mail packages right from his desk so I didnt have to find a post office to mail my packages back home. The valet parkers were also very nice and funny and helpful. Even when I parked my own car and let me daughter out at teh curb, they always ran over and opened her door. When they parked the car and then brought it to us, they always ran to get it and always had the air on full blast to get cool and offered us towels in case we wanted to go to off site beaches which we did. (Black sand beach is a MUST visit spot). Ok so they had little cups for teh lobby water as someone said earlier, but who cares, you arent supposed to drink a gallon. It is refreshing pinapple infused and two little cups was more than enough to give you what you wanted. The grounds are beautiful. Make sure you go on teh walking paths to the left out back and follow along teh ocean. It's great. Also it was cool to stand on the little bridge near the beach and watch the tide go in and come out and the fishes all go from being trapped to following out little paths in the water and rocks.

And at leaast last year, they offered a free glass bottom boat ride one time during your stay. That was a HUGE perk. I recommend once you get to the hotel to call and make a 9 am reservation as it isnt as choppy. But later is good also and you see tons of fish and a whole bunch of turtles and it was FREE for all in your room. I hope they still have that as a perk. We intend on taking our girls there next July for their senior year present. I cant wait.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quite large!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank VirginiaDoctorlady
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The 30 minute drive from the airport was worth it. The hotel lobby was beautiful and opens to the outdoors on one side. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. I enjoyed the balcony views of the beach. Loved having the glass partition on the balcony so you can see the ocean from inside the room but beware onlookers can peer at you because of the glass railing. The hotel is within walking distance to shops and restaurants. The hotel has a nice little shop if you forget to bring necessities but as with any hotel shop, especially in Hawaii, it is somewhat pricey. The hotel restaurant had good food and outdoor seating with a view of the pool and the ocean. There were some flies that circled the food but you are outdoors – you have to just swat them away. The hotel staff was very nice at the desk and at the restaurant. The beach at the hotel is nice and has lots of beach chairs. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights on our way back from Tokyo.Had a room with a pool view and one that was oceeanfront. Both were very nice. I believe we had one of the best oceanfront rooms as it was quite panoramic. The hotel was a lot more quieter then I expected but then so was most of the Big Island. Staff was very friendly. Say hi to John at the bar or strike up a conversation with him,he loves to talk! Great guy. The hotel is across the street from a small mall and there is another small mall within walking distance from the hotel. Both have restaurants to eat at if you don't want to eat at the hotel. Also, the" Queens mall" has a market called Island Market which is great for everything. Huge portions for any meal of the day. We did eat at the hotel for dinner on the 50% off evening.(Thurs.) It was very good and the restaurant is lovely in the evening. There is also a restaurant called Lava Lava beach club right next door from the hotel which we LOVED.A must as the it is right on the beach.I think this hotel has the best location on the island,if your not looking for seclusion.

Room Tip: oceanfront is worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We spent our 25th Anniversary here. It was so clean and quiet, relaxing and beautiful. The beach was wonderful, and the pools were so nice. Fun for kids too. It was close to shops but far enough away, you didn't get the crowds from them. I was truly a resort to spoil yourself. If you wanted Island Disneyland, then go to the Hilton. This place was not overrun with small children. It had families, but not craziness, like at the Hilton. We went over to the Hilton to check it out. It was a zoo. Kids running everywhere, and no real beach. They had sea turtles in this lagoon, with no outlet. I was so happy we chose the Marriott!!!

Room Tip: If you like a big bed, the king size was so amazing and comfy, Both our room and our kids room was...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed 28 July 2012

This hotel is a great place to stay. The staff members go out of their way for you. Rooms are large and very clean. We had a partial ocean view and pool view. The setting of the fish ponds and the beach is gorgeous. We ate at the hotel one night and food was better than we expected. Mondays and Thursdays are 50% off entrees. We did the luau and our only mistake were the seats we selected--2nd row table on the edge not far from where they roast the pig--once the show started a huge group of people stood right in front of our table blocking our view of the stage--the hotel should have staff to control the crowd--if you go to the luau, sit in the center We did ask a staff member to ask the group of people to move, but it only worked for one song of the luau. No supermarket close by, but there is one in Waikoloa 10 minute drive. Our kids enjoyed the pool and beach. The pool area is very sunny--they could use a few more umbrellas or cabanas--the cabanas are booked days in advance. We went to Hapuna Beach one day and the conceirge let us borrow a beach umbrella--highly recommend this beach--most perfect sand and lots of parking. Had a wonderful stay in Waikoloa Beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank H5familytravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!