My wife and I just returned from a vacation on the Big Island. Even though we have friends who live there, we preferred the privacy of a hotel. I researched several hotels along the Kohala Coast (within a short drive of my friend's home), and was surprised to hear the reviews of the Marriott. Others sounded equally intriguing, but we chose the Marriott, and were glad we did.
From the moment you arrive on property, you are greeted in true "aloha" spirit.
That spirit never goes away, and is evident on every level. From the guy who pushes the broom to the managers, everyone is friendly and helpful.
Some of the reviews I read mentioned that it isn't as nice as the Fairmont or Four Seasons. Not much is. However, for the price (and nothing is cheap in Hawaii), there is equal value.
There are daily buffet breakfasts and dinners, which are delicious. However, there is a market within walking distance that has precooked meals or groceries if you prefer to make your own meals. There are also nice restaurants within walking distance, but again, nothing's cheap in Hawaii. You won't find a fast food joint anywhere, so don't even bother looking.
It is not "on the beach", but is within walking distance, and the beach feels as if it is on property.
Once on the beach, you can walk undisturbed in either direction for miles, or take a nice run.
We went for an anniversary trip, and would go back in a heartbeat.
One final tip--they do have a shuttle from the airport, but rent a car. The shuttle is $50, and you are going to need the car while on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guests seeking relaxation and rejuvenation will find it all at the luxurious Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, located on a sandy, swimmable beach along the sunny Kohala Coast of Hawaii’s Big Island. This beachfront resort offers contemporary elegant guestrooms featuring private lanais, oceanview dining, heated infinity pool, two children’s pools, waterslide, ocean activities, Mandara Spa, world class golf and is within walking distance of shopping and dining at the Kings' Shops & Queens’ MarketPlace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TravelUp, Southall Travel, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Hotel Waikoloa
- Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort And Spa
- Marriott Waikoloa