“Paniolo thumbs up to you again!”

Paniolo Greens Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is my second time staying at this hotel.
Firt time around we went in March 2010, stayed for 1 week.

This time around was April 2012. As usual the place is awesome!!

Here are some facts about Paniolo:
The unit we were in was a 1 bedroom, the two other rooms available in the unit were closed off, we got the same style of unit as the first time, so I am not sure if they are all the same (1 bedrooms). Both times we stayed in an upstairs unit. I would recommend this if you do not have bad knees as you do have to walk up stairs. We felt that for noise purposes it was better (had no noise issues at all).
The kitchen comes packed with dishes, pretty much everything you need to cook with (pots, pans, spoons, casserole dishes), blender, coffee machine, dishwasher, stove, fridge. Note though that there was no microwave. They do provide you with detergent for the dishwasher.
The living room is awesome, big, and there are lanais both in the main floor off the living room and a lanai upstairs off the main bedroom.
Upstairs, you have the dryer and washer, a safe, bathroom and the bedroom(s).

The washer/dryer came with a complimentary box of one time use soap for one load, we bought our own after that. As for the supplies in the washrooms, was the same deal, we were provided it once when we arrived after that we were on our own.

For the dryer and washer, the only difficulty we had was hanging up the clothes and getting them to dry, without using the dryer. The only places it properly would dry was if you hung it near the lanai door, otherwise the moisture gets trapped and your clothes will smell musty.
The bedroom is great, there is a tv there, as well as in the living room, plenty of space in the closet. There's a dresser as well. The lanai upstairs is smaller.

The difference I noticed this time was that they mentioned no smoking on the lanais. I knew you couldn't smoke in the units, but the lanai I think that has changed.

I would not recommend paying the extra fee for the AC, seriously not in March and April. This area is sooooo windy, we couldn't even sleep with the lanai door open every night because we were getting cold!! There are fans both down and upstairs and the breeze with the wind and fan is plenty.

There are BBQs available, there was one near our sections (section a) we were in unit 210. The other one I saw was near the pool area. I am assuming each unit has one. The BBQ was fine, a little higher than average. Quite a few people using it, so you may need to time yourself if you plan on using it as well.

The concierge will call and we did get a message, this time I received messages at home before I came. You also receive notice to go get your restaurant card stamped at a certain time of the day with the concierge, as well as a free bag of coffee, and not sure what else, but we skipped all of that as we assumed they would try to get us in for a timeshare presentation. We just skipped it and they left us alone... So no pressure sales.

The location is Waikoloa village, you have a market right near by, a coffee shop, bank, gas stations, golf course.

Overall, it was 20 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes to the Kailua Kona strip. I would say 5 mins to the queens market, kings landings. I would say you are closer to the beach here than you would be staying in Kona. But of course the expensive resorts right on the beach are closer....

Paniolo, I love you and miss you and would will stay with you again!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Nellie_Nestle

Reviewed 14 April 2012

A wonderful value and place to stay. We had an upper floor unit with a full kitchen (every appliance you could want, including dishwashing soap, paper towels, etc) and living room (w/flat screen TV) downstairs, and bedrooms & baths (and washer & dryer w/detergent!) upstairs. One of the most tastefully decorated places we have ever stayed in - even the plates and silverware were simple, yet attractive. The bed was incredibly comfortable (and although the pillows weren't down or feather, they weren't bad, either). Great staff (quickly took care of two minor maintenance issues). Located in Waikoloa, which is a 15 minute drive to the beach, and there is a great supermarket real close by, Lava Java in the same mall for breakfast/dinner, and we also enjoyed Banjy's restaurant which is a 5 minute drive away.

Room Tip: Our upper floor unit was quiet with a balcony on each floor, though the lower floor units have patio...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ddavidfs
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Paniolo Greens is not on the Ocean but if it was it would get a "6". I'm not a golfer but I still enjoyed staying at Paniolo because of the course. The greenery provided from the grass along the ability to walk on the course after sunset for exercise and relaxation helped to make the vacation at Waikoloa wonderful.
I like staying at the Waikoloa end of the Big Island because of the beaches at the Marriott, The Hilton, The Hapuna Prince, The Mauna Kea, The Fairmont Orchid, The Four Seasons, and of course the Hapuna Public Beach.
If you don't make time to visit every resort on this list, which you should, I will give you in order which ones you should visit and why. Go have lunch or Dinner or drinks and make yourself at home. Pull right up to valet or self parking if it is open and tell the doormen that you are going to lunch, drinks, or dinner and enjoy yourself and the resort of the day, or evening!
First, because of the breathtaking view as you walk in the Lobby is the Hapuna Prince. ( look in my pictures) As it might seem logical the Prince is right next to Hapuna Public Beach so you can see both. The prices at lunch are reasonable for on the beach in Hawaii and the dinner prices are very reasonable.
Next, Would be the Hilton. This hotel was built by the Japanese back in their rise to glory and it is beautiful. After you have Dinner at the Oceanside restaurant go stroll all around the grounds and marvel at what Capitalism can do when set free from the clutches of oppressive left wing regulation. ( a little right wing humor.) Any the place is gorgeous and I proposed to my wife there on a full moon at the base of a giant stairway. Take the Gondola ride! Also they have a great Dolphin Adventure there for afternoon and a lunch.
Third, is the Fairmont orchid because of their beachside bar and restaurant that are quite reasonable in price. and the beauty of the place also.
The Mauna Kea has a wonderful beach and a grat beachside bar and lunch restaurant. I'm not sure if it goes into the Dinner or not? Do not be afraid to take some extra stuff in a beach bag to make the afternoon more relaxing and enjoyable just don't be obvious, and as always act like you belong and are going to spend some money there and of course tip well! After all you just got all this beauty without staying there.
Ok a little about the island... At Waikaloa you are not far from horse country (Wailea) and then the rainy side and Hana. You can make two days out of a trip to Wailea and Hana or just do them both in a one day trip. Also Hana for me is boring but it is the best place to go see the volcanoe from because it is a much shorter flight from their airport and Costs way less.
The dormant volcanoe to your north and the Kohala coast is a great day trip also. look for whales (in season) as you take the coast road to Hawi have lunch in town maybe catch a farmers market and then go back over the mountain and it is gorgeous up there.
Kailua-Kona is also a short drive away and there are a lot of reasons to go there but one specifically I want to tell you about is the Sheraton Keauhou south of town. Go have dinner there early in the evening and stick around until the dive boat gets there to see the Manna Rays swim with the divers. Or do the Manna Ray Dive yourself! Also the Sheraton has great music at night. On your way bac to Paniolo go into town at night and enjoy the ambiance before going back to the wild Turkeys. ( Not to be confused with Wild Turkey Liquor)
Ok that about covers what I wanted to talk about other than for me the Volcanoe is boring unless it is really erupting good. And I want to do the observatory and go snow skiing, I just haven't yet. I love the Big island because it is bigger and feels better.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HaveFunwillTravel515
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This place is worth your dollar, wonderful 9days, no glitches, very clean, comfortable, excellent location, room cleaned daily, slept like a baby, get 2nd story room for quietness, kitchen well furnished, staff most helpful, will return in march 2013 to do it all again.

Room Tip: We were in K102, great night breeze and beautiful sunsets from lanai, will request same building, bu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barney B
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Paniolo Greens is a great place to get away. Jessica let me chose which floor I wanted- took a 2nd floor unit which looked like a townhouse- the 2nd floor contained a fully equipped kitchen, living & dining room. The 2nd level (3rd floor) contained 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with a washer and dryer. great view of the golf course and mountains. the place was clean and spacious. One of the staff even offered to help me with my bags. the place has a tennis court, pool, jacuzzi, fitness center, and playground for the kids. plenty of grills for bbqing. love the wild turkeys on the lawn in the morning

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank koabug
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We recently stayed for 8 nights in a 2nd floor unit in buliding "A" at the Paniolo Greens. The condo was amazing vere clean lots of room, 2 bedroom, 2 full baths, spacious well stocked kitchen the washer and dryer were handy. The staff were frendly and helpfull, the grounds were clean and well kept, parking and wifi were free, The condos are located about 10 minutes from the fantastic beaches of Hapuna Beach State Park and Waialea beach (69) the Waikoloa Beach area is about a 8 minute drive were you will find fine dinning and shoping at The Kings Mall & Queens Market. Waikoloa Village Market which is a 2-3 minute drive or a 10 minute walk has one of the best supermarkets on the island everything you need at good prices. A car is a must if you are staying here it's a perfect location for exploring the Big Island. We would definitely stay at the Paniolo Greens Resort again.

Room Tip: Seconf Floor, overlooking golf course
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cmjasper
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We recently stayed here for 5 nights. There were 6 of us in a two bedroom unit. The property is well kept, the condos are clean and well stocked. They are not high end units but they are more than adequate. We loved being able to head to a beach in the morning, come back and have lunch and then do some sight seeing or enjoy the pool in the afternoon. It made such a difference for us to be able to cook our own food. It saves money (and calories). We even had some beautiful sunset views from across the parking lot. The pool was on the cold side but we seemed to have that at each of the 3 places we stayed on the Big Island. We were on a bottom floor unit and did have some noise from the people above. The only other complaint was that the sofa bed was not very comfy but I have not found a comfy one anywhere! Also if you are looking to be really close to a beach this may not be the place for you but they were only a 10-20 min. drive depending on which one we chose.
The staff was really wonderful to deal with. I would definitely come back here again.

Room Tip: Upstairs suites would have less noise from other guests but only have stairs to access them. The bo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank scoobychups
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Kona Coast Resort
Kona Coast Resort
#1 of 36 in Kailua-Kona
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Paniolo Greens Resort? Share your experiences!