“Paniolo is quiet, convenient”

Paniolo Greens Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
daphne95
“Paniolo is quiet, convenient”
Reviewed 23 April 2007

If you are looking to stay on the big island but don't want the traffic in Kona, this is great. We got a golf course view which was great, I wouldn't want a room with the main road/courtyard view. The office was efficient upon check-in.

The room was nice, clean and what you would expect from a condo. The beds are decently comfortable. The dryer does not even get hot, expect 2+ hours for a load to dry. I felt like all I did all week was wash and dry clothes. We locked ourselves out and they came quickly to let us in. Our blender did not work and they quickly came with a replacement which also didn't work but they came again with a 3rd which did.

The pool is nice but too shallow, I think 4 ft. is all. There is a nice kiddy pool. The tennis court was great and you can also do ping-pong, horseshoes, basketball and football.

Don't bother to call the concierge for info on places/activities. All they tried to do is sell us a package. I'm the type who likes to explore the area on my own. If I want to see something, I want my car and it's on my time. I don't want to ride a bus with a bunch of other people and work around them. I called down to get info about a luau and they only gave me info on the ones they sell. I called down about the volcano park and they tried to book me on a helicopter tour. I called about the black sand beach and they mentioned a bus tour. Lastly, I called about where I could see the manta rays and they tried to get me to do a night dive trip, I am sure my senior parents would appreciate that:-) When I said I knew they used to do them at the Mauna Kea which is closed due to the earthquake and wanted to know if any others did it I got the brush off. When I went online, I found the Sheraton Keauhou where you can see the Mantas from the Crystal Blue Lounge. Pressure, pressure.

This is about 30-40 minutes from downtown Kona but there are shops in Waikoloa Beach. Also, there is a grocery store about 5 minutes away in Waikoloa Village. Hapuna Beach is about 10 minutes away, a must see, the waves are good for boogie boarding the current is a little strong so watch the kids. Expect about 2.5 hours to get to the Black Sand Beach or Volcano Park, well worth the drive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — concierge, dryer
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank daphne95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 19 April 2007

We spent spring break week here; 2 adults and 2 young kids. We stayed in building K, in a 2-story, 2-bedroom, 3 bath condo. We were very satisfied with everything.

The kitchen came equip'd w/the basics. We did have to ask for a 2nd frying pan in order to cook two things at one time (they brought it quickly, no charge). The stovetop worked, though some better than others. We had enough dishwashing soap & dishwasher detergent to last us the entire trip. One packet of coffee, and assortment of sugars was provided upon arrival.

The beds were clean and warm. They had some of the better pillows I've had at other hotels & rentals. Bathrooms had plenty of towels, soap, kleenex, & toilet paper; we never ran out of any the entire week.

Housekeeping comes once during a weeklong stay, but if you need additional cleaning it is available (for a fee). I wish there had been a vacuum in the condo for our use. They do provide a dustpan & broom, but that doesn't work on the carpet. One packet of laundry detergent was provided upon arrival.

The condo did have a few minor repair issues, though the only one we notified the company about was the problem w/the CD-player. Someone came quickly and when they couldn't repair it they replaced the entire stereo immediately. The others were towel racks that kept falling off the walls (but they had wall hooks so that was enough for us).

We didn't need to pay for A/C, since opening the windows and turning on the fans was enough to cool everything off.

The pool was very family-friendly, with a wading pool (18"), & a shallow 1/4-lap pool (deepest is 4'); there is also a spa pool that is a bit warmer but not too hot, as well as a small exercise room adjacent (has 3 machines and great water-soaking towels). They supplied 6 pool towels in the room which could be exchanged at any time at the front desk. Concierge staff at the pool was helpful when we asked for floatation devices for the kids (they let us know about the freebies before offering the rental supplies).

Building K did not overlook the golf course, so we didn't hear the lawn mowers, but it did overlook the main road so we could hear road traffic when the windows were open (next to no traffic at night on that road). I would suggest staying in this building b/c you have a view of both the bay and the volcano. It appeared that all 1-story condos are on the lower-level, accessed by a set of stairs going down from the ground level, so you may want to ask for a 2-story as we did.

A previous reviewer noted a cockroach. I think he may have seen the beetles that were common outside that periodically fly inside at night. I saw the size of Hawaiian cockroaches in Pahoa and trust me you'll know one when you see one! In one of the many informational brochures in the condo, they point out they spray for bugs monthly, but if you do have an infestation they'll come and take care of it.

The location is between the Kohala Resort Area and the Waimea/Kamuela area, so perfect for exploring either on day trips.

Since lodging was free, except for tax, -- thanks to my father-in-law (this is his timeshare facility) -- we were more than satisfied with the accommodations. I don't know how much these condos usually rent for, so my impression may have been different if we had to pay.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank CAHappy
Spring Lake, MI
Reviewed 2 March 2007

We spent a week at Paniolo Greens in Feb. of 2007 with friends. After reading reviews here and on the RCI review, we were a bit guarded in our expectations. We found that our accomodations were actually quite good. The view of the golf course with the ocean off in the distance was quite nice. The gas grill was well maintained and quite close to the condo for grilling. The mower did come out early every other day on the golf course, but it was not as annoying as construction or heavy traffic. The turkeys put on quite a show for us. The dishes/flatware only have service for 6 of each item, so there is no possibility of not washing the dishes for each meal if there are more than 3 people. The dryer doesn't work nearly as well as mine at home, but then it is in a unit used by different people every week. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2007
7 Thank SL MI Traveler
weymouth
Reviewed 13 January 2007

As a family of four traveling for two weeks to the Big Island we were very disappointed in our accommodations. We felt we were so far away from everything. In order to see things it was a 45-60 minute ride. The pool was rather small for such a large complex. The hot tub did not work for the two weeks we were there. We had mice as our unwanted vacation guest. The resort itself I felt was not kid friendly. Luckily we had good weather on our side.

• Liked — absoulutely nothing
  • Disliked — location and ammenities
  • Tips/Secrets — pick another place
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank mickeyvc
pgwaikoloa, Management Staff at Paniolo Greens Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2007
The Paniolo Greens has a childrens playground, childrens activites throughout the day at our onsite activities desk, and a kids pool for their enjoyment.

Although the resort is located away from Kona, activities and amenities in the immediate vacinity includes a large grocery store, upscale shops, several well known restaurants such as Ruth Chris' Steak House, Roys, Tommy Bahama Restaurant, and Merriman's. Several of the islands best beaches and golf courses are located within minutes of the resort.

The resort is also centrally situated between the volcano National Park and Kealakekua Bay. The Big island is the largest Hawaiian Island and drving between destinations is expected.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2006

We travel on timeshare exchanges quite a bit. Tripadvisor is a great place to get reviews so I decided to finally post one to balance the very positive reviews.

1. On check-in, the lady was not able to give us a newer unit or one with a south west view so we ended up with with a generic second/third floor unit with a North view to the golf course.

2. There seems to be a number of different units. The queen second bedrooms with a bigger dining room but a very awkward kitchen. That's the unit we ended up with. We visited with some folks we met and they had a double single bed second bedroom units with a funny little sitting room.

3. The TVs are very small and old (a surprise in light of very inexpensive TV prices around).

4. Furniture is ok.

5. Appliances are old and microwave is very old. Cupboards are fairly cheap.

6. No fan to outside for cooking (a pet peeve of mine) but the wind is high enough that there is a natural high rate of circulation to clean cooking smells (I use a ton of garlic in my cooking :)

7. Generally a bit of an older resort from what I could tell with only a few BBQ to share. See pictures on grungy items.

8. New Hawaii "no smoking within 20 feet of building" law from November 2006 is being ignored (PS smokers, Hawaii is not for you).

9. You have to pay for air conditioning by getting a key. Don't need it because the wind is amazing and we came here to get away from the cold :-)

10. No Internet access but they do provide a direct line out so one can use a cheap $10/month national dialup provider with local call to Hilo.

On the plus side, the staff is generally very good (pleasant, accommodating) and we have no complaints. Adequate cooking and expected for a full kitchen.

Golfing is right there (although your slice might not improve with that wind!)

I would have given this a neutral rating (certainly not gold) except for the cockroach I just killed in the kitchen. I've stayed in Hawaii numerous times and never seen one before, let alone inside! I expect cockroaches in lower quality environments where the buildings are poorly constructed (lots of holes which allows bug in even when all the doors and screens are kept closed). In Mexico, yes, in Hawaii RCI Gold Crown resort? No.

And yes, they spray but how healthy is that?

I would not stay here again. We almost booked here for our other weeks in Hawaii this year - glad we didn't!
.....
Update 1

I was hoping my wife didn't see this review until we checked out but she saw the cockroach word... Oh well. Here is her input:

1. Dryer doesn't dry.

2. Had to remove nasty little dangerous hook from cupboard to prevent injuries (we'll put it back before we leave).

3. Pillow are a little big

4. Walking distance to a good grocery store.

5. Ok, what's this cockroach thing! Where?!

• Liked — Availability
  • Disliked — Cockroach, distance from beach and Kona
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't pay too much and you should be ok. :-)
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
10 Thank condo-weeks
Texas
Reviewed 25 October 2006

We visited Paniolo Greens in Sept 2006. We loved it there . We booked thru our resort and used RCI. The big spacious rooms were very clean , well stocked with beautiful views of the ocean and mountains. The employees went out of their way to help us with late flights and lost luggage. We take our whole family including three year old granddaughter and there was plenty of room for us to live comfortably. The guys enjoyed the Waikoloa Golf Course ( with discount fees) and the wild game that runs freely. One day we drove the whole island. The convertible and Jeep was a plus to enjoy the gorgeous views there. The Volcano Nat'l Park is a must see! that day the rainbow formed right into opening of the volcano-it was fabulous ! Hilo has the beautiful waterfalls and lush green hills. Punalu'u Black Sand Beach is awesome .The turtles were on the beach to sun . Bubba Gump Shrimp Co and Hard Rock are a must visit in Kona. yummy ! We attended the luau at King Kamehameha- wow- the food was better that Oahu's ! the ocean breeze and the show was great .Hapuna Beach - # 4 beach in the world - is an absolutely must see too ! Take a picnic lunch- the beautiful aqua water and dolphins in the distance are breath taking. We rented all the beach equipment there at the resort very reasonable. Mauna Kea we were " on top of the world " at 13,796 ft the largest observatory on earth. The guides were amazing to listen to . It felt like we could reach out and touch the stars! The Hilton at Waikoloa Village was great too.So much of this is free and thats what we enjoy seeing the sunsets and lava formations etc. We liked being away from the busy towns.It was only 45 minutes back to Kona. There were a few grocery stores , gas station and restaurants close by. The people are so kind and generous - we cannot wait to go back ! The pool and kiddie pool are large and nice to relax in the jacuzzi . I wish we would have had time for the classes at the resort. Theres so much to see. Thanks for a great vacation Paniolo Greens !

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
14 Thank nhyman
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 October 2006

We enjoyed our trip to the Big Island more than recent trips to Mexico and Kauai. Our group included mom (78), daughter (2), wife (39), and myself (49). We stayed at Paniolo Greens on a timeshare exchange in late September (shoulder season). Our activities included mostly snorkeling, beaches, Volcano NP, luau, coffee plantation, nut factory, lookouts, and waterfalls. We also used "The Big Island Revealed" as our guidebook. Its not "Gospel" so keep an open mind.

Paniolo Greens has single floor units available on the ground floor with two story units above them, but the complex is on uneven ground so there may be additional stairs. We asked for twin beds in our 2nd bedroom upstairs and got a 21/2 bedroom with 3 baths that was big enough to live in (it looked like some did). We got the a/c for security, to keep the noise out, and to dry things. There was always a good breeze and the additional tax made it $7.50/day which was a bit much. There was a kiddy pool and small playground. Everyone was nice and the service good. The carpet had a smell but otherwise everything was clean, comfortable, and adequate. All we seen were birds and no unwanted guests. The time-share presentation was over in less than two hours, no high pressure, for $200.

We rented an Impala from Alamo with a sunroof instead of a four wheel drive or convertible. We put over 1000 miles on it, gas was about 50% higher than Florida, and it got us everywhere we had time to go @ 30 miles/gal (there are break-ins). Bread seemed to be the most expensive ($4/loaf at some places) but Walmart had some reasonable prices. We found the sandwich shops near the beaches to be reasonable too.

From our limited experience our bests with easy access are:
SNORKEL- Kahalu'u and Honaunau (place of refuge)
BEACH- Hapuna and Spencer (didn't get to 69)
LUAU- Mauna Kea (good food) possible manta rays
COFFEE TOUR- Holualoa (small 15 acre self-guided)
NUT FACTORY- South of Hilo (self-guided)
LOOKOUT- Pololu (bit of a drive)
WATERFALL- Akaka (steps) and Rainbow (late morning)
UNIQUE- Koho Tide-pools and Ahalanai (hot pool)
VOLCANO NP- is quite a drive and best after sunset (open 24hrs) so since we had to spend an extra day using "frequent flyer miles" we got a place just outside the park. note: to see the red lava go before sunset and hike out using good flashlights, good hiking shoes, and strong binoculars (rangers sometimes let you use theirs).
TOURS & ENTERTAINMENT- beware of "ship days" when things can book-up early and look for coupons in flyers. (we missed a glass bottom boat ride for mom and daughter)

We enjoyed our trip very much. There was lots of contrasts (11 of 15 possible climate zones) and Paniolo Greens was a great location to explore from. Hope this helps and you have a good trip too. Our camera was messing up but I will try to leave you some not too personal pictures of what to expect ;) ALOHA

• Liked — All The Room
  • Disliked — Ants
  • Tips/Secrets — Already Listed
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
30 Thank DSTOURS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Paniolo Greens Resort? Share your experiences!