“A very nice property”

Yakima, Washington
“A very nice property”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I had a conference at a nearby hotel and stayed here because I prefer condos to hotels. I was in unit 306 which is a one bedroom. It is right next to the pool/BBQ which was convenient for us. There didn't appear to be a lot of people staying here so noise from the pool wasn't an issue. the times kids were there was during early afternoon so no problems.

The unit was a very nicely decorated townhouse with the bedroom and a nice bathroom and walk in closet upstairs. It really was very nicely decorated and furnished throughout. The kitchen had all the utensils, plates etc. you could need. There weren't any spices other than salt and pepper so you will need to bring your own.

The grounds were very nicely maintained and the staff was very helpful. We had an issue with the doors enclosing the washer and dryer but the problem was promptly fixed. The staff happily answered any questions we had about the surrounding area. Wi-Fi worked fine and was included in the resort fee.

I would definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Aloha Sunnyside Don,

Thank you for the business, review and kind words. Please tell your friends!

Hope you return some day.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
LA
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I arrived after office hours, but I didn't have any issue for obtaining access to the place. I stayed 1703, and it was beautifully decorated and so comfortable. Five of us stayed in the place and we all loved it. The unit was also closed to community swimming pool and BBQ area. House cleaning came every two days to change towels and took out trash.

• Stayed August 2013
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Aloha jjongi,

Thank you for your business and the kind review. Hope you'll recommend us and return some time in the future!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff over and above. The villa was very clean all we needed was available and im sure if not staff would try their best!!! Lovely pool and bbq. Great location! !! Only point is if you need to check out early. Would highly recommend

• Stayed August 2013
Aloha Whitney P,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the "brilliant" review and the input. I could have guessed from your use of that word - where your home is. The English use brilliant way more than most people and I wish everyone would describe their stay at Waikoloa Colony Villas in the same fashion!

Sorry about the late checkout - we try our best.

We hope you'll recommend us and return some day.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I had booked my stay a year in advance and travelled from Australia. We were given a villa next to the road with a view to the rubbish bins and car park...this was very disappointing. Our other accommodation so far had been great, both Aston run properties.

The villa inside was nice and well appointed, the garage was locked off, but hey the car was a rental so it could stay outside. the configuration of the door upstairs to get into the bedroom and bathroom was a bit annoying and the windows didn't seem to open so we had to run the air-con.

We stayed off site for a couple of nights down in Volcano which gave us a break from the nothingness of this location.

If you know what villa you are getting and you are happy with its location this resort would be fine. For me it was a let down for my holidays.

Also, they charge for Wi-Fi at this location, even though it was listed as an inclusion on my booking...the other Aston resorts it was included as specified on my booking.

And don't try getting help after 6pm, they don't answer the phone or return messages, I went through every option on the phone system and nobody picked up or called me back.

I wouldn't stay in this location again.

Room Tip: Make sure it overlooks the golf course
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TSW42
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Aloha TSW42,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review. Your input is the only way to improve what we need to.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. Having been in the Resort business for 25 years in Hawaii - a lot of people expect their accomodations to be "on the beach" when only about 10-15% have those great views/locations. At Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas - there are no ocean views. But the lava and the views of the two tallest mountains on the planet can be pretty dynamic too.

The "Resort Fee" you paid here is the same as at every Aston and should have been listed on your reservation. It is not just for wifi but includes: free movies and games from our DVD machine, all the coffee and tea you can handle, a daily newspaper, complimentary local calls... I would say that 99% of our guests love the service (which costs way less at Waikoloa Colony Villas than any of our neighbors (including other Astons) and gives you more amenities).

You are right about being in the middle of nowhere here on the Kohala Coast. It is 16 miles from the airport and nothing but lava for landscape on the trip to our Resort. When I arrived I knew within half the distance to the Resort that this is where I belong! The lava can be so beautiful when the shadows change the sharpness of the edges. This Island has way more to offer than any of the other Islands in the Hawaiian Island chain. The best beaches are here, more religous and cultural locations, the best weather is here in Waikoloa (and yes only 10 miles or so can make a difference - we get about 5 inches of rain a year and Waimea just 20 minutes away gets 100 inches), plenty of shopping and fine dining too. There are a plethora of nice golf courses, this is the bill fishing capital of the world. There is another major difference here - there is just more Aloha. I don't know how to explain that - but I do not need AAA road service. If your car breaks down you will not have to wait long for help - someone will stop! A perfect stranger will start up a conversation while pumping gas, if you stop and ask for help or directions - you'll get details and a smile. I love it here - no Island fever, never a moment when there is not someothing to do in the natural environment.

At the same time The Big Island is not for everyone - thank goodness! This is a place where you have to seek adventure and there is plenty of it! Maybe you'll come back for a better look and give us another opportunity to serve you.

One other thing - when you checked in your got an emergency phone number on your registration documents - I man that phone 24 hours a day every day of the year. Last night with the storm approaching I took two calls - one at 1AM - so there is always someone available to discuss any issue.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We've stayed at #1703, that was a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom fully equiped unit. We loved it. Plenty of space for our family. Beautifully decorated, make us feel @ home. The atmosphere is completelly different from staying in a regular hotel room. We have a lot of family time, and enjoyed the lanai at night drinking a glass of wine watching the moon and stars far from the buzz of the big resort properties.
The check in was easy and eficient. We've told that we could rent 2 dvd per day and was givem the keys, and card for the gate.
The condominium is very well mainteined. We enjoyed walking around.
One mile from kings shop and queen market so there were many places to go out for dinner if you do not want to cook. Close to the beach as well. Our daughter loved the pool and we spend time there too.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ferrazalves
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Mahalo Ferrazalves,

What a nice comment about our property. Thank you for your business and kind review.

You hit on one of the most wonderful things about staying at Waikoloa Colony Villas - the stars at night. Here you can go by the pool and be alone with your family sometime at night and have a wonderful conversation with your children. Between the sparlingly lit pool and the dark star filled sky - this experience could never be had at a great big resort. If you really wanna see the stars you can go to the greatest place to view them on the planet - the summit of the second tallest mountain on the planet - Mauna Kea.

We appreciate that you took the time to pass on your experience here with us and we hope you'll send us more guests and return some day.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week in June. We are not resort people so this was perfect for us. We were in hawaii for a wedding at the Hilton which was within walking distance. Free parking, $10 day resort fee you can't beat the price. Very spacious, great value, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha RLJsharkdiver,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the great review.

You are right about the value - I know because I have been the GM at the nicest Resort in Hawaii (Grand Wailea - where we had 2 rooms for $10,000/night!) and worked at many other "hotel" like properties. The space, the value of having your own kitchen and snacks, the amenities, the quiet.... it just way outweighs staying in a "bedroom" - especially for families.

Almost everything in the Resort can be walked to - like you mentioned the Hilton is just a short walk away and two shopping centers just beyond that.

Hope you'll tell your friends and return some day.

gregory.koestering@astonhotels.com
Lihue
Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a chance to stay here during Memorial Day weekend. It is such a beautiful property and great location. We stayed in building 3. We had a 1 bedroom golf villa. It was very clean and spacious. They also had a free DVD kiosk in the check in area which allowed us 2 daily rentals. We weren't able to enjoy the pool or recreation areas but it looks very inviting. Only small issue was the maintenance man came in one morning claiming we made a call regarding the blinds and door which we did not so it seemed a little odd and the central AC cannot get cooler than 74 degrees. Nice place to sleep and relax indoors.

• Stayed May 2013
Aloha Nawahini21,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the kind review.

I apologize for the maintenance staff coming in to check on what they thought was a problem in your room. I'll take that over a complaint we did not get to something!

And I have to tell you that we are trying to be responsible stewards of the planet and watch the monies our owners pay for their electric bill. Hawaii Electric Company rates are the highest in the country. The thermostats are programmable and if we have a guest who really cannot get cooled off enough at 74 degrees - we'll come down and bump it down a degree or two for you until you depart. I completely understand this when it has been so hot lately. Most of the year it is pleasant at night here with the windows open....

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you will return.

(808) 886-8821 (direct)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Aston Shores at Waikoloa
#8 of 13 in Waikoloa
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas? Share your experiences!