“Great place”

Price range: US$0 - US$34
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Lava Lava Beach Club is brought to you by the same people who bring you Huggo's oceanfront restaurant in Kailua-Kona , On The Rocks, a casual beach bar in Kailua-Kona, Paradise Gourmet Catering, the Big Island leader in custom events and weddings and Grass Shack Parties & Rentals, the go-to source for all local style affordable parties.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a must go if you like sitting on comfy, high end patio furniture looking out to the sea at sunset. This restaurant has normal seating, great bar and first come first serve seating on the beach. The food we had was good, but the atmosphere is great.

1  Thank JKCROSBY
Write a ReviewReviews (4,788)

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We enjoyed our Loco Moco sitting next to the blue waters of A-Bay. Staff was friendly, we ate here more than once on our vacation.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've eaten here about five times since it opened. There are very few non-big hotel places on the Kohala coast where you can sit on the beach and dine - this is one of them. The atmosphere is lovely - great way to see the sunset and enjoy lovely evening entertainment. That said, the food ranges from weak to slightly above average. (The menu is related to that of Huggos in Kailua Kona - same owners, I believe - the food seems more reliable there). Anyway, it also seems to be the case that one's experience is a function of how crowded the place is - and it can get REALLY crowded. Our last lunch experience (we sat at the bar rather than wait forever) was mildly controlled chaos. The ice tea was rancid (never told them) and my main course was served to someone else by mistake (thus it took about 35 minutes before we got any food). The staff was not insensitive to the situation - they comped our entire meal - but it left me wondering if we would ever go back.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

As others have written, this is a great spot for sunset dining. It is a popular place and it was
tough to get a reservation. You do need to book a few days ahead for a spot. I have to say the service was quite good even though others have reported otherwise. Our dinners were very good with large portions. I had the mahi and my husband had teriyaki steak. Both portions were large and tasty. Off to the side of this open air restaurant was musical entertainment, which added to the festive atmosphere. I would make the point that this is not a "romantic" spot for dinner. The crowd is loud and lively, along with the music. Many folks had young kids running around the sand area. This is not the spot to go for a quiet dinner and good conversation. For couples seeking a special dining experience I would go elsewhere and save this spot for lunch or just cocktails and a sunset in the sand.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived around 7pm on Monday night without a booking and were quickly attended to with a great table down on the beach. My husband ordered the LLbC's macadamia nut fresh catch which was Mahi Mahi. The rest of us ordered ribs two adults and one taster. The ribs were mouth watering with the meat falling off the bone. The sauce was yummy but probably just a bit too much as it over powered the taste of the meat a bit too much. The ribs were served with yummy corn, chips and coleslaw. The fish was great not dry and just right. We also ordered desserts. Our two boys had the goodie jar would be really good if they did a smaller version of this for kids and charged it out around $8. My husband had the Sticky Icky which is a huge serving and a bit too much of the coconut rum could be tasted so suggest this could be cooked off longer and I had the Kiss my chocolate monkey which was very rich and would be better served with a bit of vanilla bean ice cream instead of cream. Overall a fabulous atmosphere, great decor and good food.