“DECENT BREAKKY”

Cuisines: Pizza, Hawaiian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Went here for a nice light breakfast on 5th Oct.There bacon was the best, nice flavors. Tried the waffles, were alright. Seated outside can get little messy with flies around. Also had the passfion fruit cake slice-lilikoi. The location is alright, we were staying at Waikoloa Marriot,it is about a 15minute drive, ample parking available. But I still somehow like the Islanda Lava Java at Alli drive, it is more vibrant and buzzing. Overall a decent place, no complaints. The juice was fresh :)

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had a great breakfast here on a busy Sunday morning. Live music on the patio and 100% Kona coffee! I tried something different and had the big Kahuna, grilled fish, eggs, fruit and potatoes. The fish was a little salty but a very good breakfast. My wife had a eggs benedict type breakfast, but served over potatoes instead of a english muffin which was equally good with just squeezed fresh orange juice.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

On our last day in Hawaii, my wife and I elected to try Island Lava Java for breakfast. It was recommended by her sister. Here's the scoop on Lava Java.

Ambiance: Grade B
This combination coffee shop and eatery in located in the rear of the Waikoloa Village shopping center, off Hwy 19 about 8 mi. from Waikoloa Resorts like Marriott and Hilton. Once you take the turn off near the helicopter tour company, it's just a 10 mins. ride up the hill. There is no real signage from the highway, so you have to pull into the shopping center and drive to the back side behind First Hawaiian Bank to find it. See my photos.

Lava Java has inside and outside dining and opens as early as 0530 AM for the locals. It stays open until 9 PM nightly. On Sunday nights there is live music. They serve breakfasts, lunches and dinners.

Service: Grade B+
We were waited on by manager Kea who was attentive and engaging. There are only a couple of servers here so when it's busy you just have to be a bit patient like anywhere else. The service was good. Mahalo, Kea!

Menu & Food: Grade A
The menu has basic classic breakfast fares with an Island flavor. There is also a bakery here so pastries are plentiful. It's a coffee shop, so you can get pretty much any type of coffee you want. Lunch features a variety of sandwhiches and salads. Interestingly, they also serve several types of pizza too and of course local fresh fish daily.

For breakfast we each had the the Big Island Classic with brown rice, Portuguese sausage slices, scrambled eggs and toast. ($9.45) My wife tried the apple smoked bacon. Both meals were delivered promptly, had excellent presentations (see photos), and had more than enough food. The bacon and sauage were excellent; as were the rest of the meal. Nice job!

Cost to food and dining experience: Grade A
You can't beat this place for a good meal at a great price. Our entire meal with coffee and a nice tip for Kea came to $30. That's a very good deal in the islands.

Summary:
This is a nice island coffee shop where you can get a great breakfast for two for a bit more than breakfast for one at Marriott, Hilton or Manua Kea. Lava Java is definitely worth the pleasant 10-15 mins ride on Hwy 19 for those on a vacation budget. Bon apetite and Aloha!

Note: Please take time to rate my review because I took the time to help you with your meal selection. While you're on the Big island, check my profile for my reviews of other good restaurants here and on the other islands. Mahalo!

4  Thank DrRon1854
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We went here 3 times for breakfast and/or coffee to go. Our breakfasts were great and the cappuccinos were good, too. It was also nice to find fresh squeezed orange juice, although it wasn't cheap.
Specific recommendations: Portuguese sausage, waffles with macadamia nuts and coconut syrup. For a cappuccino that isn't too weak, order a triple cappuccino in a 16-oz cup.
We tried their Kona coffee but it was not the best Kona coffee we'd had, and actually thought their cappuccino was better.
AVOID: Saturday mornings with live music! When we got there, it was quiet and pleasant, and I was enjoying the sound of the breeze in the palm trees as I slowly woke up with my coffee. Then a singer-guitar player started setting up. . . and although it could have been nice if he'd just sang and played with no microphone, he was miked and the guitar was, too. The volume was so loud that it totally ruined what had promised to be another lovely breakfast at Island Lava Java.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stopped here for breakfast one morning, the coffee was disappointing. We had a mocha and it tasted weak. My husband got the eggs benedict on a croissant with potatoes, it was good. I got a sandwich called drag it thru the garden on wheat bread instead of a croissant. It was good, very filling. So, a cheaper breakfast that is good but not great. Maybe, the lunch items are better but don't get the coffee.