“I wanted to like it, but couldn't”
Review of Three Fat Pigs - CLOSED

Three Fat Pigs
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Waikoloa Beach Drive
Transit: There are shuttle buses that stop by often to transport guest to the Hotels located in the Resort area as well as other Hotels along the coast. Taxi cabs are available as well.
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was excited to try this restaurant. I had walked by it many times, the menu looked good and it has a great location on the pond at Waikoloa Beach Resort. We went in for a Mother's Day lunch and the place was nearly empty. We didn't think too much of it, but probably should have. We were immediately greeted by the cook. Yay! But the great service stopped there. Our waitress was nice enough, but just didn't seem to have it together. She told us she was actually a night shift worker and wasn't familiar with the menu when I asked her basic questions. The place was not busy, but the service was SLOW! The food was mediocre at best. Here's the breakdown:

My toddler's mac n' cheese came out first (as requested) and it was literally pre-packaged Annie's instant Mac n Cheese. No biggie, but I hate paying big money for something I can get at my grocery store. The fries that came with the dish were hot, hot, hot and very delicious.

We had the taro chips and cheese fondue. Very yummy. I hate blue cheese and this was actually delicious.

Then came the entree debacle. My grilled sandwich arrived barely toasted and cold. I was excited to try the tomato jam and wasabi aioli condiments. Instead, I got a DRY sandwich. There was almost NO condiments on it. Just a lick. I did not request fries, but was given fries. The fries were cold. And the homemade ketchup had a film on it (the kind you get when a sauce sits a while under a heat lamp).

My husband ordered a $26 steak medium rare. It came medium well. It was also cold and his fries were just as bad as mine. He had to send his meal back and chose not to even have them remake it. So that meant he sat there and watched my daughter and I eat.

During our hour or so there, I heard at least two other tables complain about wrong orders or poor quality of food.

There was zero value for the money. I go to Hawai'i expecting everything to be overpriced. I don't mind paying high prices if quality is there. In this case, it wasn't.

This place has tremendous potential, but it needs MAJOR attention. I think Chef Ippy is too busy trying to build an empire and not spending enough time building a quality establishment. To be honest, Ippy's Barbecue in the Queen's Shops was better, and even it had a couple flaws.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had higher expectations from this place. Fish was bland, spinach had an olive tapenade that was soo salty it was not good. The prices are ridiculous, the service was very slow, can not recommend this place at all.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Had the burger with blue cheese and bacon. Nice atmosphere, good service. If you are in the area shopping at Kings' Market, it is a good place to stop.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Based on the fact that they like to remind guests that the owner was on Iron Chef, I was disappointed that the food was not better. Also, the decor was a bit dated.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had high hopes for this restaurant. The menu looked really good, the setting was nice (we sat outside near the koi pond), and the service was decent. However, the food was just average, and disappointing considering how much it cost. I ordered the ribs and my husband ordered the burger. Both were fine, just not memorable. If the prices were lower, or the food was better, we would have been happier. We would not be tempted to return here, since Merriman's Mediterranean Cafe is only steps away from this establishment and that was a much better experience/value than this place.