“Best restaurant on the island”
Review of Pueo's Osteria

Pueo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pueo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 69 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We ate our first meal on the Big Island at Pueo's so all meals were compared to this one the rest of the week. We started with the goat cheese flatbread which was fresh and tasted like a pizza from Italy (light dough, fresh local goat cheese, roasted red pepper, fresh oregano). Then had the rigatoni bolognese (great fresh meat sauce) and local Ono wrapped in prosciutto with olive tapenade over risotto (awesome fresh fish cooked medium rare and risotto was perfectly cooked/flavored).

The location is about 15 minute drive from the Waikoloa resorts (Hilton) but worth the drive. Best food so far in 5 days not to say the other food has not been great. But this food was the highest level of flavor and uniqueness. Do not miss this one!

3  Thank Thomas V

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went here twice during our week in Hawaii. The eggplant rolatini and chicken parm were fantastic. Wine selection is also great. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I wanted to try this restaurant because of the many good reviews I saw on Tripadvisor. I was surprised to find it in a small shopping center pretty far away from the Waikoloa Beach area. But it was well worth looking for. I had the Chicken Milanese, which was very good and my daughter had an individual pizza that was great (I got to try some). Excellent crust, and good pizza is always about the crust! We also got the bread service with olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the side for dipping which was very good as well. This is a great little restaurant and well worth looking for. It was also very nice to have the owners there to thank us in person as we left. I will definitely be going back the next time I return to Hawaii!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was my second visit to Pueo and this time we wanted to try the late night menu. After all, Pueo means owl in Hawaiian and the intent of Chef James Babian was to cater to the industry (hotel and restaurant employee's) since there is so little late night dining available and a large number of hotel/restaurant employees and their families live in that area.

We ordered four different items this time; Lobster Mac n Cheese (to die for), Tuscan Burger (absolutely divine), Fried Zucchini (not bad) and Cesar Salad (not enough of a good thing!). The food was satisfying, the beer was cold, the wine by the glass was the perfect temp. Sweetie was our bartender and she was very attentive.

I believe that Chef James and his lovely wife Chris can make this happen and endure the up's and down's of what is popular today and gone tomorrow by simply doing what he does best, good food. The prices are right, the location is a bit out of the way for tourists, but once the word gets out that it is worth the drive.... Well I just hope I can still get a seat there! Don't miss the opportunity to dine here. This is where chefs go to eat when they are not it their own businesses.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Every time we come and eat at Pueo's we are never disappointed. We are blessed to have a great place to eat in the village. Mahalo Chef Babian! The only and first negative experience was on 5/23 the hostess did not acknowledge us at all. She helped a woman in front of us with a take out order and then didn't help us for almost 10 min. I would think if you're helping run the front of the house you would typically tell the "to go order" customer you'll be right with them so you can seat the customers with reservation first. (It was not busy and we were the only ones at the hostess station) We were completely ignored and then to have the wait staff end up having to help because they even noticed we were standing there for so long with the hostess 4 ft away with her back to us. Other than that it is always a great experience.