“When you get tired of Mai Tai’s and Teriyaki….try this!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pueo's Osteria

Pueo's Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Pueo's Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Waikoloa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palm Springs, CA
“When you get tired of Mai Tai’s and Teriyaki….try this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We love Hawaii for everything it offers. Tropical breezes, palm trees, cobalt blue water and of course the Polynesian food and drinks. That said, there is only so much pupu that one can eat! Enter Pueo’s Osteria…probably the best non-Hawaiian cuisine on the Big Island! Located just a short uphill drive from the Waikoloa and Kohala you find this restaurant in a small, neighborhood shopping center. The venue is comfy Tuscan (we think the indoor dining is much more cozy than the rather plain patio). The first thing we noticed is the number of locals out for some fine dining…this is definitely not a loco-moco place! Everyone was tapping their feet to the Frank Sinatra tunes filling the rooms! Pueo’s has an expansive bar where you can enjoy a glass of wine from a fantastic wine list. They also serve cocktails, though I don’t think the bartender was well versed in mixology (our Manhattans were sans-Vermouth….not a big issue for us as the Bourbon was top shelf…and you’re not here for the booze anyway, you’re here for the phenomenal meal!). The chef is Chicago Italian at his finest…looks it, sounds like it, and cooks like it! If you’ve ever had the pleasure of doing Italian in the Windy City, then you’ll know what I mean. The food is rich with flavor and that “mama’s kitchen” appeal that is so hard to put words to…..but then chef adds that extra special ingredient or presentation that puts Peuo’s dishes over the top! We enjoyed a delicious bruschetta with mushrooms, roasted pecans and honey (different yes, but sooo good), then moved on to a small pizza appetizer and finally a Veal Oso Bucco and classic penne. All were fantastic though I had to add a bit of salt to the veal (just my own personal taste, but it really brought out the deep flavors). Our service was provided by Hailea and Courtney (efficient and very Aloha friendly). At the end of the meal, as we sat back to let our palates and bellies rest, we both had the same observation…how nice to get a break from hula, rum punch and another version of “Somewhere over the Rainbow”.

Final analysis: put this at the top of your Big Island to-do list. Pueo’s is currently rated #1 in the Waikoloa area for a very good reasons. The only thing I’d suggest is that you get your fill of “Hawaiian” first…and then come back “home” to this little slice of Italy!

BTW...this is one of the few places on the island that offers late night dining! I'm not sure if they do it every night so call first....but they're definitely open after midnight on Friday and Saturday!

1 Thank skitramp

Dallas, TX
“Best food we had on the island, service on the patio was painfully slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We ate dinner here with our kids and ordered pizza for the kids, my wife had the gnocchi, and I had the veal special of the night. We also ordered the bread service and the spritzer drink initially. The food and drinks took a loooooong time to come out but when we got everything the food was excellent. Everyone's says Kona Brewery has the best pizza, but this pizza blows it away in my opinion - nice thin crust and the sauce is really good and fresh. Despite our experience with bad service I would give this place another shot and sit inside to hopefully get better service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mr_hand
“Nice dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice place in the village. Great service all around. We had the kale salad,margarita pizza, gnocchi, and tagtailone. All were excellent. Perhaps the best meal in our entire vacation on the big island.

Placentia
“Three words, "Smoked Mashed Potatoes".”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were in Hawaii for a week and this is the only place we went to twice and the smoked mashed potatoes were the best thing I ate all week. I can't wait to try and make them at home. Very solid Italian food with great gnocchi, very good pasta and a good selection of local fish dishes. The braised short ribs were very tasty and served with the smoked potatoes. Full bar with some interesting martini's, try the Tuscan sunset, served with these imported cherries that were fantastic.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Blown Away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is awesome. The service is unbelievable and the food is even better. Started with fried calamari which was excellent. Then I had the best short-ribs I have ever had, which were accompanied by these smoky mashed potatoes which I would go back just for another scoop of.

If you are staying in Waikoloa or even in Kona, do yourself a favor and leave the hotel to come here. It is worth the trip. Not only will you have a better meal and a better time, you'll save some money. I'm just sorry we didn't come here until our last night on the big island. I think I would eat all of my dinners here.

• Visited July 2014