“Excellent place!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Shores at Waikoloa

Chestermere
“Excellent place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Although some of the units are a little dated that didn't really matter to us. Our unit was very well maintained. The grounds keepers are superb, they are there all day! The location is fantastic, you can walk almost anywhere. It was quiet, had outdoor grills, patios you could sit out all day on. The pool was great, the staff were all very accommodating. The downside was the poor wifi but whose on their computers much while vacationing? We love it here and will be back. Not much for kids to do right at the hotel, but plenty to go do. Also, they need to change their sign. It was hard to find because it doesn't say Aston, it reads The Shores.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Aloha Ken D,

Thank you for your business and kind review. We appreciate the endorsement.

I just cannot understand for the life of me why the wifi is an issue occasionally. I mean we have the best company, plenty of bandwidth and service available with the company to check problems all day. I just do not have the technical knowledge to answer all of these questions. I do agree with you on the "who needs internet" when you are on vacation but it is something we do provide and it should work!

Thank you for the kind words about our staff too.

We hope you will return.

Warmest Alohas,

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We arrived at the village fresh from a fantastic stay at a condo on Kauaii It had so many personal touches like spices in the kitchen. At registration a daily charge for additional amenities such as coffee packets delivered daily. Not worth it !!!! Terrible coffee and have to keep requesting it also offers movies but not free movies- just the chance to get them so you can pay for them!!!
No special items in Aston it is strictly basic supplies and NO Parking. The complex has 23 units and 8 assigned parking.
Every day is a hunt and pick challenge
Units are roomy enough and pools are family friendly

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Aloha DonnaCB586 ,

Thank you for your business and review.

I understand about the parking conundrum and hope it was not such an inconvenience. I am verklempt sometimes about why having to take a short walk to get to a unit from a remote parking space is such an issue but sometimes it just is. I know it is an inconvennience when you have elderly folk, kids or groceries but you can drop everything off right at the front door and send the most able bodied person to get to an open spot. I always consider those moments after parking to get to the unit to look up at the stars or get a bit more sun on my nose.

I have lived in Waikoloa for over 24 years - The Big Island has way more to offer than any other Island (having lived on Maui, Kauai and Oahu I do have a unique perspective) although there are unique opportunities on all Islands. And the units at Waikoloa Colony Villas are unique in the industry - offering tremendous space, a vertical seperation from your neighbors (no one walking on your roof) and silence/security/serenity you cannot find in many operations.

I would disagree with one thing with your review - this place is a gold star in the rough. Sometimes the remoteness of the area is an issue, the distance you have to travel to see the volcano or other unique Big Island attractions, sometimes even the lack of a myriad of shopping opportunities irks a guest or two. I would never leave the Island if it were not for family and friends. I find the climate, the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the natural environment unparalleled from any other place I have visited or lived.

We hope you'll pass on the good word about the area and maybe try us again in the future when we can schedule you in a unit where your parking spot will be immediately adjacent to your room. This is just another complex I have been to where parking is a bit of a challenge but I'll take the opportunities for a once in a lifetime event (sunset at the summit of the tallest mountain on the planet) as an acceptable offset of the minor inconvenience.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas and
Vegreville Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was our first trip to the big island so we had no idea what to expect. When we read the reviews on trip advisor regarding the shores we noticed a number of negative ones which could be taken the wrong way. We arrived late at night and true to the reviews we read it is dark and finding the shores can be a challenge. We are thankful for trip advisor as we prepared for this and without much problem were walking into our two bedroom condo. Our rented unit was on the main floor, very large and ore than the two on us needed. In the morning we went to check in at the front desk and were met with Danette ( she is a true gem), we had mentioned it would be nice to have a smaller room something a little higher up . Without any hesitation she said she would check what was available. She found a single on the 3rd floor and gave us a key to see if it would be okay. Upon opening the door we knew this was the unit for us, we checked in and thanked her for accomodating us. She then offered us a bottle of wine for coming to the shores. That is what customer service is all about. The shores grounds are very well kept, the pool is always clean. The water in the hot pool could be a tad hotter but thats just me. The fitness center is well equipped for anyone who wants to work out. As for all the staff, they are the most friendly people, always smiling and saying hello, asking if we need anything. Our suite #301 in the Sandlewood Tower was fairly well equipped, had everything you need to function for a two week stay. There was a faint musty smell which wasn't a problem for us as it wasnt all that bad. We have nothing bad to say about our choice to stay at the shores and if ever visiting the big island again will definaetly consider the shores again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank firechief-JL
Aloha Firechief - JL,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your review.

What a kind review it is and you are right about Danette - probably the employee who has more Aloha Spirit than anyone I have ever worked with (there are a few that come close). And thank you for mentioning looking at the Trip Advisor reviews and being prepared for the unique late arrival experience we have here.

We appreciate your business and your words of support.

We hope you will return some day and thanks for spreading the good word about us.

Aston Waikoloa Colony Villas and
Dawson Creek, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was our 19th trip to Hawaii and 6th to the Big Island. We have stayed at the Shores 4 times now, and would definitely return. Our condo (112) was older and was not one of the renovated units, but it was functional and clean for our family of 4. The staff at the Shores is excellent, and you can tell that they value the guests and do everything that they can to make visitors feel welcome. This is very obvious that it is priority #1 at this condo complex. From the maintenance of the grounds, to the aloha shown by the house-keepers, to the small details that are taken care of, you can tell that the staff at the Shores has been trained to take care of their visitors. Our coffee maker quit working one morning, and within 5 minutes, we had another one delivered to our door. We accidentally dumped some sand on our floor from a beach bag, and within minutes, it was cleaned up for us. My daughters collection of stuffed teddy bears were neatly rearranged every morning on her bed. (She loved it!) Every house-keeper, ground attendant, or any other employee greeted us and smiled EACH and EVERY time we saw any of them over the course of our 2 week stay at the Shores. These are the little things that go a long way in my eyes, and made our stay very carefree and enjoyable. I would like to say a big mahaho to Greg and his team for understanding that sometimes the less noticeable things are the reasons why people come back to certain places time and time again for their vacations. The Shores at Waikoloa is a perfect example of this, and we will definitely be one of those returning guests, thanks to a staff that realizes what is important to visitors, and goes out of their way to show aloha every step of the way. Great job and mahalo!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ScottMoe66
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Aloha ScottMoe66,

Thank you for one of the nicest reviews we have ever received. We don't find all guests feel the way you do. But you picked up on what our efforts are focused on - SERVICE. Every unit at The Shores is individually owned - some less updated than others. But even though you did not get the best unit you recognized that we deliver Five Diamond service and that - we can control. Please let me know when you plan a return visit - I want to make sure the next stay is that little bit more perfect!!!

We really appreciate the recognition and kind words.

Volcano, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I agree with angelbaby67 review. It was my 3rd stay in unit#14.For our 25th wedding Anniversary. But this time the unit was dirty, got no amenities, had to buy my own, after requested them 2 times at front desk and on the phone. The furniture was uncomfortable. Housekeeping showed no Aloha. Just towels at door, with no room service.My reply from management was the same as angelbaby67 received. My husband and I are residents and business owner's in Hawaii. We feel embarrassed, if this is the type of service and response from management that our visitor's receive. The one bright spot, was the help was the response I received "The Hawaiian Lady" who I spoke with 3 days after my stay. She tried to help and did have much Aloha..Mahalo to her.. Management needs alot of improvement.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fisherwoman_1
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Aloha Fisherwoman,

Thank you for your business and review.

There are times when guests and properties just can't make it work together. You and I exchanged emails and just never got on the same page either. We do our best with every opportunity but I am sorry we could not make it work with you.

We spoke about your experience as a team. We've worked to use every experience with our guests as training exercises to constanly improve our service.

We will live with the negative and positive reviews we receive - when anyone looks at every review available on this website back five years to 2008-2009 we score very well. I wish we could have gotten you to that place!

With Aloha,

North Richland Hills, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Shores at Waikoloa was an excellent resort. The layout of the property was a little confusing at first - I had to walk all the way around the buildings and around the coy ponds to get to the pool area. But the grounds are very pretty so it didn't matter too much. My room was looking out right over the coy pond area, which was a stunning view. And the Lanais! They were HUGE! I spend most of my night catching up on work while sitting out on the lanai. The room itself was also great. My room had beautifully stained wood floors and a nice modern charm to it. The bed was comfortable and room was very clean and well maintained. There were some shops with good restaurants within a few minutes drive, and the beach was just across the way, about a ten minute walk. I would definitely recommend this property to anyone staying in Waikoloa for golf or business and doesn't care about having an ocean view. It's definitely a great value for the Waikoloa area!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Aloha fishbombs,

Thank you for your business and kind review.

The lanai's are huge! This complex was built around 25 years ago when function may have been a bigger consideration than budget. I always tell guests that I can imagine beginning and ending my day on these lanai's. And with the weather getting better during the winter a hot cup of ginger tea to start and finish the day on the lanai would be sweet.

We hope you will spread the good word about what we offer and return some day.

Happy Holidays,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

My friends and I rented a 1 bedroom deluxe with a pullout sofa. The room we got was a king bed.

Staff - registration was easy and staff were friendly. Helped us book a luau. We had a small issue with the dishwashing machine but it was quickly fixed.

Room - the suite was great! It was a fully equipped condo unit basically.
The kitchen had pots, pans, plates etc. There was a working dishwasher. We did laundry using the washing machine and dryer. We relaxed on the spacious lanai/ balcony as it had a sitting area. The living room came with a flat screen tv.
While the other hotels would charge you a parking fee in addition to the amenity fee, the aston shores does not have a parking fee. No issues with the wifi.

The location was great as it was in the waikoloa resort complex so there are a lot of restaurants and grocery store and other retail stores. Hapuna Beach is less than 10 min drive.

It was the first time we rented this place and we were thoroughly pleased! Will definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AJ1375
GMAstonWCV, General Manager at Aston Shores at Waikoloa, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Aloha AJ1375,

Thank you for your business. Thank you for the review and kind words. Really glad you enjoyed yourself - you are right we have a great location and are a super value.

We appreciate that you will recommend us and we hope you return.

Happy Holidays,

Aston Shores at Waikoloa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Halii Kai Resort at Waikoloa Beach
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aston Shores at Waikoloa? Share your experiences!