“If I had wanted to go on a Monorail, I would have gone to Disneyland!”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 December 2013

What a frustrating resort and a total waste of my precious vacation time! First of all, there is no parking in front of your building. To make it worse, it is $17/day to park there or $22/day for valet parking. They say the monorail runs every 15 minutes, but if you miss it, you have to double that for it to come back. To go somewhere just done the road (less than a mile) we had to leave our room 45 minutes ahead of time just to make sure we would be one time. We were not only at the furthest tower, the Ocean, but we were also dead center of the circular tower making it the farthest walk to our room once we got off the elevator. If we walked fast, we could make it back to the lobby in under 10 minutes. This is okay if you are not dragging luggage or carrying groceries/purchases. If you forgot something in your room, too bad. There was no way I was going to waste another 30-40 minutes of my vacation to go retrieve the hat I realized I had forgotten once we got to the lobby
I am a beach person, so I cannot critique the swimming pools, one of which was closed. We did, however, try out the lagoon on our very first day. The water was cloudy and disgusting. You could see a film of sunscreen oil floating on top. When snorkeling, the water was blurry on the top 12 inches. All I could think of was getting out and taking a shower! They really need to urge people either personally or with signs, to NOT enter the water until 20 minutes after applying sunscreen. Not only is it bad for the water, but for the marine life as well.

As for the room, it was loud. The path to get to our room was brick, making all the carts being pushed quickly down the path sound like thunder. Did not appreciate the 7:30 AM or 10:45 PM cart races. Then there were the Myna birds. I felt like I was in a Hitchcock movie. They didn’t not chirp all night long, but they would continue their gatherings throughout the night without warning. The water in the shower was very inconsistent going from cold to almost scalding. I had to put a towel in the shower to stand on so I wouldn’t slip when running from the hot water. (There were no tub matts to stand on). I was shocked that there was no microwave provided. There was a mini refrigerator, however, which came stocked with leftover food from the prior guests. The only place to charge your phone was either in the bathroom or at the desk. NOTE: if you charge at the desk, be sure to turn off the desk lamp via the lamp and not the light switch when you enter the room as this will cut your power off. The bed had a big, scratched up, wooden headboard that had the alarm and light cords hidden within, so there was no way to conveniently charge your phone right by the bed. The bed was too soft as were the pillows. I had to roll my pillow up to get neck support. I felt every time my husband moved on the bed. The lanai consisted of 2 chairs and a lava bed just outside the railing that had no plants although it had a watering spout. Spider webs with large spiders had made their home there making it an undesirable place to be.

We never ate at the resort except for the luau. The food was mediocre and the show was too touristy and corny at times. Not the traditional large, local men that I was used to. A lot of the dancers were young. I felt like I was watching a group of kids performing at a 6 flags show. I’m happy we didn’t pay for it (we did a timeshare tour) cause it is too over-priced at $109 for general admission and $135 (I believe) for the “Alii” front row tables. Fish was dry, pork disappointing and desserts just okay. This is an insane price to pay for a meal, anywhere! The pictures they took cost $42 which we did not buy.

In conclusion, I would say staying at this resort is a total waste of my time. My vacation time is too precious to waste an hour of my time commuting back and forth to my room. We made sure when we left the room we didn’t return until we were done for the day. I would not recommend this resort to anyone! But I strongly urge anyone with disabilities or pain when walking for long periods of time, to RUN from this resort! Even if you are the type of person who wants to just stay at the resort, I honestly can’t see why you would choose this one. There is no convenience in anything at this resort. The engineer who designed this should be fired!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
9  Thank Janie4359
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that the cost and layout was of concern and am sharing your feedback with the appropriate members of our team. Thank you for your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,309)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We spent 4 days here and had a great time! The resort is rather large and it really does take about a 15 minute walk to get from the parked car to the room, which did not bother us as the walk was enjoyable. We spent a full day at the lagoon, which was wonderful! There are sea turtles swimming in and out as well as sunning on the rocks. We went Snuba diving in the lagoon with Brian and his team - they were awesome and this was definitely our favorite part of our stay (we saw an eel and turtle swimming around as well as many fish). This resort has many features on site, which make it rather nice if you just want a "lay-day" from your hectic planned vacation.

We were disappointed by the $25/day resort fee as well as the additional ~17/day for parking, especially considering we were unable to ever connect to the "included internet" as the signal was always weak. Also... we were woken every morning around 4a-5a from the birds chirping outside - they were incredibly loud in the Ocean Tower.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

so after driving from Hilo to Waikoloa - destination the Hilton.... i was not just weary, but also wary, after my nightmare called Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki (see an earlier review of mine).

But I have to say... total polar opposite in experience.

Driving through the volcanic rock / alien landscape to manicured shopping/residential village area, to a bustling grand entrance of the Hilton Waikoloa. I was pleasantly surprised.

Well greeted, and car taken care of as well as baggage, I was still suspicious of how this would pan out. While selecting to check in via Hilton Honours desk - this is my only gripe about my hotel experience here. This should have been better staffed, as it would have been quicker to use the main desk.

Regardless... we were staying in a wing that was a little less busy than the other end, providing a small but well executed selection of shops, spa and dining.

We chose to walk to our room and in doing so, you are treated to a walkway littered with a great collection of polynesian and local art / carvings / sculptures. On inquiry, I was told by senior management that the hotel has an $US8 million collection it is custodian to. - Awesome!

Now here is a quirky thing... to get to our room we could have taken either a boat or a monorail! The latter cracked me up, and in this setting reminded me of the old Logan's Run movie... love it!

The room was great - providing a decent sized bathroom, and spacious sleeping / dining / desk area. Overlooking the beach, it was great to sleep with the doors open and hear the waves. In room dining was of an excellent quality and was very prompt, and in general the staff was of a very good quality and service. I did try one of the restaurants .. as for that... I will review separately - as I don't want that to tarnish this resort review.

I went to use the fitness centre - located in the Spa. While it would suit most.. it is split into 2 x small rooms on slightly different levels. It sort of lacks a bit of presence, and some equipment.. but will help you keep up your routine. The lockeroom facilities were good, spacious and a quality steam and wet sauna room. Unlike other locker room areas in hotels I stayed at in this trip, while it is clothing optional... the lads in this hotel seemed to be a bit shy. So consider this when attending.

This resort does not boast beach access, as this part of the coast is pretty much all volcanic rock. But, they have built a good lagoon, where you can get your sand and sea fix. But apart from that, the coastline is spectacular. Plus for an indulgent swim, go splurge and pay to swim with the Dolphins in another purpose built environment.

There is something about this place. It is understated yet ticks all of the boxes if you want to be indulgent. You can be as part of the general hotel atmosphere or be selective in your seclusion.

Definitely feel comfortable in selecting this hotel to stay, with some of the best beds / sleep I got in my 3 weeks in Hawaii.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank buffstah
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great unique experiences for a family. Dolphins, sea turtles, great pools, a train and boats to ride. Loved our stay and the staff made it so great. The only downside is the price of food. Go during an off time and you can lessen the cost.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Our fourth annual return to this property. Diamond Level. We usually take 4 plus rooms and this year was a bit of a surprise. For the first time the Resort Charge was mandatory, but what was a bigger surprise was the new charges for "cabana chairs " that were previously available first come first served all these years before.( $60/day) Furthermore, I was surprised to Learn that the entire resort part of the hotel, eg., pools, cabanas, restaurants have been farmed out to an outside contractor. Their level of service is clearly mediocre for the most part.
The deferred maintenance are clearly evident, with missing shower door strips, allowing water through, outdoor chair covers that are filthy, etc.
Perhaps the recent HILTON IPO, HAS FOCUSED MAANGEMENTS ATTENTION ON THE BOTTOM LINE INSTEAD OF GUEST COMFORT.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank msc66
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

msc66,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any frustration you experienced on your recent stay at our resort. It is true that we have a daily Resort Charge for all guests, which includes benefits such as Internet access, local calls, in-room movies, cultural activities and activity discounts. Many resorts now charge similar fees, but we wanted to make sure that ours added value to your stay, especially since the Resort Charge now applies to everyone. While many of our cabanas are booked through a reservation process which includes personalized towel service and other amenities, we still have a selection of cabanas that are available at no charge. We encourage guests to inquire at the towel desk for more information. We will focus on the other areas you mentioned. There is no excuse for mediocre service, especially since we pride ourselves on providing happy, attentive Hawaiian service. We value you as a repeat guest here at our resort and will take your comments into consideration as we look to improve the guest experience. We strive to make every guests' stay a pleasant one from check-in to departure through quality service and amenities, and we regret this was not your impression during your visit. Perhaps we can welcome you again to our resort for an improved experience.

Best regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Where is the Aloha in Hawaii when you reach your hotel and have to pay for parking to stay there. Really north Kona Hotels how can you possibly justify paid parking for hotel guest and other visitors? With your already outrageous prices.Or expect anyone to visit or stay in your property when they are greeted by pay parking stations with no posted fee signs until you reach the valet desk.And then it's posted on the ground,for the people who only look down. $17.00 a day for registered guest. 3.00$ an hour for others. Yes you can get a validation after eating or drinking in venues.But how would anyone know as it's NOT posted at entrance. And No one wants to pay for parking to stay in their already expensive hotel. When I called the executive office to say how offensive this pay parking is, with no signS. I was told it's because locals park there and have friends drive them to airport so they don't have to pay airport parking.BEYOND rediculous excuse. With $17.00 fee for registered guest. By the way no one greets your guest or visitors with the word Aloha! Not the valet,concierge, front desk, or housekeepers.however you hear many other languages used by your employees.For people who can't do the walk thru expensive property you are running only one tram or boat . So they are forced to spend their time waiting at stations for long periods of time when they could be at outlets spending money. Overall picture,over kill with parking fees!!!Really bad idea for gouging people and in very bad taste. No wonder occupancy is so low! No full service. No ALOHA!!!!! If you need someone to explain what that is Debi I'm available! Won't suggest family and friends stay there or visit in future. Obviously your not interested in locals staying there either. It use to be the splurge locals made. Empty hotel better then local business. You might attract some tourist from surrounding condos, if they weren't stop at pay for parking no posted fees! Wake up and find your ALOHA!!!!!! It's FREE!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Boldilox

Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience while parking at our hotel. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and better meet guest expectations moving forward. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your experience further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Excellent if you want to spend a lot of time at the hotel. Otherwise located 25 minutes from town to see most shops and engage in other activities. Dolphins are a special attraction not seen at other hotels.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Glenn T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!