“Family vacation”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Family vacation”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This week end was saposed to be an awesome experance. My family and I don't get to vacation much. Let alone get a day off. Due to my husband and I owning and running a business. This weekend was not exactly that. Arrival was great we were able to check in early and the staff in the lobby was awesome. After we got settled we went to the pool for sun and fun. And we're greeted with a roach in the pool. Understanding that things like bugs aren't to be helped in a tropical location we simply found a staff member and asked if he could remove it. His responce was " that's not my job". Shortly after we were met with a woman sweeping the water on the only working bathroom at the pool. And all was fine till the moment I tryed to step out of her way. I guess I was disrupting her because I was rewarded with toilet water being swept onto my legs and feet. I'll Stop at there and leave with saying the only thing good about this vacation and experance was having the family together. Next time were taking our vacation else where

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Davalynn1435
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent weekend away from your business. We sincerely apologize for the cleanliness problems you encountered in the pool and common area bathroom and regret that your concerns were not appropriately addressed. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and know our guests deserve much better. We will make every effort to ensure our property meets the highest standards of guest satisfaction in the future. We hope you will give us a second chance the next time you visit Hawaii with your family.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,903)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a great vacation destination if you are looking to stay at a resort where everything is available and you can relax without having to drive around. The gardens are lovely for walking around and they have an ocean lagoon and several pools. The rooms are far from the reception but they have a train and boat that can take you. Everything is very well maintained and cared for. The size of the resort means it does not seem crowded however the lagoon can get a little busy with kayaks, paddle boards and swimmers. If you come to the Big island to experience Hawaii away from the crowds then this is not the place for you. If you want to relax and stay at a beautiful location then this is an ideal place.

2 Thank small_trip
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here with a number of co-workers. Four of us had roaches in our rooms at different times throughout our stay. I came home with about 3 dozen bed bug bites (see photos). I hope I didn't bring any home. Won't be going back to the Hilton Waikoloa...ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Andrew W
Andrew,

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you and your co-workers experienced at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance and is always a focal point of our operations in order to continue providing our guests with a great experience. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and rectify any pest situation that may occur. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been addressed.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com
colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We are still here and loving every minute!
The first night we stayed in a suite in the Lagoon Tower and it was a beautiful room, newly refurbished.
The rest of the stay we spent in the Presidential Suite in the Palace Tower. The room is very large and wonderful for a family. I really wish all resort rooms were like this, extremely spacious. I did request the Lagoon Tower Presidential Suite 6 months in advance and did not receive it. We are celebrating our 25 yr. wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday.
I was a little let down when I discovered we did not receive this tower, but the room size is wonderful (almost 4,000 sq. ft.).
The kitchen...kitchenette was extremely small but worked to store our cold food In our mini fridge. I was told before check in that we would have a cooktop, there is not one. The kitchen has a mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot and a sink only. Which means cooking any food is out of the question.
The staff was very accommodating and nice. Expect to walk a lot, I love it but it would be tough for those with small children.
I will attach photos to this review later as we are still on site and really enjoying the Aloha spirit!!!

Room Tip: I am not sure what more I could have done to secure a good room, you can request the Lagoon Tower, b...
1 Thank greencozmo
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This was our first visit to the big island, and the hilton offers a nice local discount, so we went with it. I was shocked to see a monorail upon checking in, and then when we went to our room, we learned why it is needed. To say this place is huge would be an understatement. It took us about 15 mins to get from the main lobby to our room. If you forget something in your room, forget about going back for it. The rooms were quite spacious, but definitely in need of updating/refreshing. We definitely hope to return to the big island next year, but will stay somewhere smaller.

Room Tip: we stayed in the ocean tower. nice view, but room is in need of updates/refreshing.
Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Update March 29, 2014- I was sent and evaluation by the Hilton and told them the same information I provide below. I was contacted by the Hotel they state, “ The ‘Splash and Relax’ option should not have been anything but a fluid process…” They refunded half or rate and state they will address my stated issues with their staff- I hope they do.

We took our adult kids and their 18 month old for the day reservation. It is $160 base price for 4 persons- they charged $20 additional for the 18 month old 5th person. It proved impossible to get a reservation on the phone- I talked to people on 3 different days with a different definition of what "bookings only 7 days ahead" means. They also made it clear that this type of reservation is not a priority. It left me with a bad taste and if the "kids" hadn't wanted to do it I would have given up. I finally want to the property to book in person. The room was in the Ocean Tower with a king bed. There were only 2 towels for showering after swimming. It might be wise to keep your beach towel and return it to the pool after your shower if you have a group like we did. It was fun to use the pools, slides and lagoon. We swam with several turtles in the lagoon and the fish are huge. Lunch was around $100 for 4 people- there was a free Kieki meal with adult meal. All in all a good family day.

3 Thank MooseMouse
Libertyville, IL, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We spent eight nights in March. This was a return trip for us with our two girls. Our memories from 2003 were enhanced. The resort itself is first class. We stayed in the Lagoon Towers. Our girls loved the pool, waterslide, swimming with the dolphins and snorkeling in the private area. The Big Island offers so much and the Hilton Waikola is a paradise in and of itself.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank William R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!