“Thought I had died and gone to heaven.”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rock Springs, Wyoming
“Thought I had died and gone to heaven.”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed for a week in March, 2014, and was every disappointed when we had to leave. I loved, loved, loved this place. We have stayed at many different resorts on all of the Hawaiian islands, and this one is definitely on the top of the list of favorites. The grounds are gorgeous and have statues everywhere so you actually feel like you are in paradise. The resort is very, very large and we were in the ocean tower so we had a good jaunt to our room, but the walk was good and enjoyable. We rode the tram only a few times during our week stay. The boat rides were so calming and relaxing, we would just get on and ride through the resort and enjoy the scenery. I would go back to this place and would highly recommend it. I only hope and pray that I will get the opportunity to visit again because it was on a scale of 1 to 10 a 10 by far.

3 Thank Jeri1956

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,900)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 2 April 2014

They do not honor their 7th night free promotion. They charge $160.00 for a late check out. Food is over priced and not good. They birds in the ocean tower were very load at 4:30 am. The room was not clean when we checked in. The service in the restaurants was horrible. There is no true access to a ocean beach. Pool water was very cold

Room Tip: Do not stay in the ocean tower. Very noisy and a long ways from everything to do
1 Thank 50birthday2014
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests to help identify ways in which we can improve our guest experience. We regret that your 7th night free promotion was not recognized properly and that outside noise was disruptive to you in the morning. I also apologize that our dining experience did not meet your expectations and have shared your feedback with the appropriate members of our team. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again so we may make your stay a pleasant one. I encourage you to reach out to me at the email address below regarding your billing concerns, and I look forward to speaking with you.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The location is ideal for someone who wants to remain ONLY at the hotel. The pools excellent for children, but there is a price for everything. Extremely big and inconvenient, you must bring along everything you need before leaving your room, otherwise you will need to hop on the tram, that will represent 15 to 20 minutes wait. There is no actual beach, but the view is fantastic during the sunset. If you want to spend between $100 to $150 for a meal for a family of 4, this is your place. Limited to the real culture of Hawaii.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Difficult review to write. There is a lot of great things about this hotel, but also a lot of not so great things. Lets start with the good. The staff were excellent, the room was very nice, and I slept very well throughout our week long stay (this is high praise - I usually do not sleep well in hotels). The grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, and the overall location is good. Not too far from Kona and the resort itself is near some restaurants and shopping areas. Anaeho'omalu Bay beach is a brief walk or even briefer drive away. The lagoon area is nice on days when the surf is too high and if you want to swim with sea turtles, or have kids and you worry about them being caught in high surf, etc., the lagoon is a big plus. While I am an experienced swimmer and snorkeler, the wife was totally new at snorkeling, so it was nice to be able to have her practice and get used to things without getting tossed about in the ocean or worrying about finding a place to stand.

The big big big (stress on the word big) negative is the physical layout of the resort itself - its just too big. My wife and I love nothing better than a good walk, but it takes such a long time to get from the parking lot to your hotel room, its just ridiculous. To add insult to injury, they charge you for parking...and the parking lot may be up to a 15-20 minute walk from your car! Sure, there is the tram, but its painfully slow and often crowded. Come on Hilton, if you are going to make me walk that far, don't charge me for parking. They should make a parking lot closer to the actual hotel rooms, especially the Ocean building.

In addition, the restaurants at the resort close pretty early. They do keep on restaurant open until 10. Given that many guests arrive around 9-10pm, it would be nice to have more options for dining later in the evening, nothing fancy just some drinks and sandwiches for those who like to eat and/or drink later in the evening.

We are also Hilton Honors members, and at other Hilton hotels we have stayed at, we usually get some kind of reward or perk. Even if its just a bottle of water, its just a nice touch. In addition, it was my wife's birthday. At other hotels, they usually do something, but here, nothing.

I heard the resort was built in the 80's - it feels like the mantra of that era - it's big and a bit over the top. I don't necessarily mind that, but Hilton needs to address the issue of ease of accessibility. Nobody wants to waste half an hour of their precious vacation time each time they have to walk or ride a tram to/from their car. Put parking areas near the hotel buildings and give us back a few hours of our vacation time.

Room Tip: I think the Lagoon and Palace towers are closer to the parking area...stress the word think.
7 Thank FrednJudy
Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have been to other resorts but never as big as the Hilton at Waikoloa Village. There are three towers for guests ( lagoon tower is the best as it is nearby to lagoon beach) and you can either take the tram or boat service ( kids love it) to go from one end to another. The resort is well equipped with many facilities including its own lagoon, dolphin center, golf course etc. Though I wish there was a good sandy beach inside the resort, one can always take a 15 min drive down to Kua Bay (my favorite) or Hapuna beach for a great beach experience. ( A rental car is a must on the Big Island)
The Hilton is located in a place called Waikoloa with other resorts/hotels nearby. There is a queen's market place within 5 min drive for everyday shopping ( including groceries) if you wanna eat outside (highly recommended since the food in the hilton restaurants is expensive and not worth it). Each tower is equipped with its own free dvd/game rental kiosk (there is a PS3 for kids to play in the room), restaurants and concierge services. Another surprise in the hotel was a laundry machine room which was nice since I was staying for 5 days in the resort.The Luau at the Hilton seems expensive but great to watch. I can't compare it to other Luau's since it is my first time in Hawaii. The buffet in the Luau is not up to my expectations but the show was nice to watch and my son loved it.
Overall a good resort and I just wish it had great restaurants (with high quality food) within the resort to give it a 5 star ranking.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose the Lagoon tower since it close to nearly all the great facilities at t...
3 Thank bpr81
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This family resort is located in Big Island. It is on the beach with lots of amenities for kids and family. They have a monorail as well as a boat for travel within the resort. With many pools (including an adult pool), paddle boating, sandy beach area as well as dolphin training, and many restaurants one could just stay in the resort the whole time. The rooms are not the best that we have stayed in but we did not stay in our room as much with so much to do in the resort and on the island.

1 Thank Jswam
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Upgraded to an Ocean-View Lagoon and absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, I think I walk faster than waiting for the monorail and thinks it just kills the whole island vibe, but great service, decent room service, and dinner at sunset at the Provisions restaurant is highly recommended! Pools are so so fun, even for big people :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wandersmuch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!