“Didn't want a resort, but Whoa! was I pleased......”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We arrived at the Hilton Waikoloa resort after spending seven days in a beautiful house with pool in south Kona, candidly I did not want to leave the house as I am not a resort type person. As we drove in, the property is simply beautiful. Just like a resort should be.....

To my very pleasant surprise from the moment we arrived the Hilton the staff were awesome!! Eric at the front desk was patient with all my questions and assisting with our room upgrade, explained everything without being overly sales oriented. (Buy the discount card!) Once checked-in we proceeded to our room in the Palace Tower. Our luggage was already in the room with the bellman standing by to answer any questions.

Granted the place is huge, but the Museum Walk is so interesting with new details each time. If you do not want to walk they have a tram and boats for you. Remember, when here you are on vacation/conference and things take a little more time.

As for the nature sounds, they were really nice throughout not bothersome at all. We live full time in the Appalachian mountains of Georgia, very remote and very quiet therefore wee are extra sensitive to extraneous noise, but no worries here.

The Chinese restauarant, Kirin was quite good and I am a very particular "foodie" due to my travels. (Will review seperately) In addition, the beach side restaurant was really good. Vanessa was the BEST beach host, always attentive and there when you needed something (Blueberry Mojito, oh yes) Tuna burger....I could eat one right now.

The folks at the beach rental hut were INCREDIBLY nice and helpful. Kau, TJ, John and the rest were so pleasant and kind to our 9 yo daughter, they remembered my name each and every time making for a much more personal experience than one would expect at a resort. We rented paddle boards, peddle bikes, snorkel guy...the whole enchilada and everytime we have excellent service from this team. It made the cost of the rentals much easier to handle!

Also, as a parent this team made us feel very comfortable giving our daughter a little more latitude in how far she could explore on her on. Not free rein but .....

I could really go on and on about the positive experiences we had at this Hilton Waikoloa, even though I did not want to stay there. This hotel and the staff are great, well trained and extremely attentive to their guests needs.

To the entire staff, thank for a great final week on the Big Island! We will definately be back!

Room Tip: The Palace Tower ismore centrally located and does not have an aviary. The feral cats and the mongoo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric H
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I appreciate your honest review of your recent family vacation at our Hilton hotel here on Hawaii Island. It makes us so happy to hear that our hard work to provide outstanding service and experiences is paying off with a memorable time for you and your family. We will pass along the comments on our staff, they will be happy to hear them. I value your review and hope to welcome you again the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I surprised the family with a Hawaiian vacation for Christmas, and as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member, I chose the Hilton Waikoloa Village. The property is definitely beautiful, but it is absolutely HUGE. They have a tram to shuttle you around the resort, but it is really slow and makes multiple stops adding 30 mins each way to whatever you want to do. Breakfast was only served in one location, so it took us 30 mins to breakfast and 30 minutes back to room after to change and get your stuff for the day. This completely wasted the morning.

The most important thing to know here though is that THERE IS NO BEACH! The photos show a "beach", but it's a tiny strip of sand on their own small "lagoon". The resort map even shows a white area that looks like a beach, but when you get there you find out that it is actually just rock. They get away with making it look like a beach on the map by saying that it is actually coral and not rock. Yeah, I'm sure that's why they made it look like a beach on the map.

I complained to management about the breakfast location and also asked why they don't clearly indicate that there is no real beach here. They totally blew me off without so much as throwing a free drink my way or anything. I was pretty shocked by this as I was a Hilton HHonors Diamond member (their highest tier). They gave me some BS about how this property is the highest redemption property for HHonors members as if that somehow made it better? It is the highest redemption property because they completely mislead you about what you are getting.

Needless to say, I will never stay here again. On top of that, I have since switched allegiance completely away from Hilton and will take my substantial business and personal hotel stays to a competitor.

Room Tip: Check the map to get something near the pools and restaurant or you are stuck taking a tram 30 minut...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Dagwood777

I appreciate your honest review of your recent family vacation at our hotel. I apologize that breakfast was located far away from you as comfort and convenience are some of my highest priorities for our guests. I’m sorry that our lagoon did not meet your expectation and I have reviewed your comments with the appropriate members of our team to see how we can improve for future guests. I value your comments as a loyal member to our brand and I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A great place to stay whether you are solo, on business, or for a family vacation. Meeting rooms, guest rooms, restaurants, fitness, or relaxation needs will be met here. If you have not seen Hawaii, start here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 27 April 2014

There is a lot of things to do with kids but very pricey if you are planning on staying longer than a couple of days. Breakfast could run 50 or more for just two people. If you don't plan on leaving the property that's good other wise expect to take about 30 mins. from room to parking lot.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Footeloose53
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is impressive in brochures and it is a place I've wanted to visit when going to the big island. The disappointment with the property started soon after our arrival. There was a long line checking in and it set a tone for our stay.
Restaurant reservations were difficult to get.
We were on the far end of the property and only the first trip by boat felt fun and neat. The distance from the lobby to the room was way to time involved.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Cynthialov

Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize for the long wait you experienced at check-in and that it was difficult to secure a restaurant reservation. We will put an emphasis on speeding up our check-in process and I do hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We spent 2 weeks in Hawaii for our anniversary and enjoyed the time we spent here. The grounds were beautiful. Everywhere you look there were scenic views and great spots for a sunset drink. It's easy to get to different locations on the property by tram or boat ride.
The location was convenient for a walk or short drive within Waikoloa Village to the King and Queen shops, other resorts, and restaurants as well as about a half hours drive to Kona. Other people feel the place needs updating. Personally I don't care. My number one priority when I travel is location and outside amenities. My only pet peeve was they tried to hard sell us to purchase another vacation package. (Which my husband did :(

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheHappyTravler
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This vacación spot has one good thing going for it…the green turtles! The snorkeling in the bay is great fun and being that accesible to the green turtles was amazing! Upon check in, I found a long black curly hair on the bathroom floor. Turn off! Gross! The rooms are in major need of remodeling!!!! Food very mediocre! Very hard to get around inside the hotel!!! Not user friendly in the slightest. Won't return!!! Oh…forgot the bonus…my room was located above the hotel train transportation. Awesome!

Room Tip: Don't go! Not worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Robin M
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Robin,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your stay in Hawaii and that you enjoyed visiting with our turtles. We apologize for the problems you encountered while you were here. We have noted your comments about our guest rooms and have addressed the bathroom issue with our housekeepers. We assure you that if you give us another opportunity, you won't be disappointed in the future.

tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!