“Great if You Like Big Resorts”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Ocean front room was adequate size with first-class view. Private lagoon is just about perfect for casual snorkeling and family water activities. Breakfast buffet with omelet station was very nice with good staff. Onsite restaurants were surprisingly good. The bar seemed dead to us, and the service was slow the couple times we tried it. The property is quite big, and best negotiated by those who like to walk -- the onsite transportation can be frustratingly slow at times.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MovnOut
Write a ReviewReviews (8,178)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The resort was beautiful and well maintained. It is sprawling and takes time to get from point A to B. Beautiful artifacts all around the property and great photo opportunities. Check out the golf course area at sunset. Our ocean view room (6084) in the Ocean Tower was very quiet and the view was great. Unfortunately, we had to go to the other side (Lagoon Area) to use the hot tub but there were pools near our room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank tommieh276
Reviewed 28 April 2014

So this hotel has it all, pools, restaurants, a lagoon, boats, a tram, art. It truly is a village, but that means that you had better be prepared to walk a long ways for anything. Yes, you can ride the boats or the tram to get places but that also takes a long time. We timed our trip from our room to the lobby riding the tram and it was 15 minutes. So if you have time to spare this just might be the perfect place for you. To me it seemed that a lot of families used this resort and they all seemed very pleased and happy. It just wasn't a place for me. I felt cut off from all the fun things in Kona (Kailua-Kona is a 30 minute drive from the Hilton Waikoloa Village). The pools and the lagoon looked great when there was nobody in them but when the kids were out and about they were all very crowded. I felt very sorry for the dolphins...I thought their habitat looked small and shallow. I also felt that the restaurants were way over priced. A breakfast buffet for $30 was way too exorbitant for me especially when the buffet didn't contain anything but your basics. So, in my opinion, the Hilton Waikoloa Village is good for families who have a ton of money. The only thing that was great about our stay at the Hilton was the service at the Front Desk. Samie in particular was wonderful.

Room Tip: If you don't want to spend 15 minutes riding the tram to the lobby, don't choose the Ocean T...
3  Thank Mona67
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed in the Ocean tower and the birds were screaming at 3:30 a.m. We got moved the next day in the same tower, and the birds were still there but not as loud as the first night. The best tower is the Lagoon tower... there is also a Palace Tower, and the Ocean Tower. You will walk a lot!! Bring your walking shoes. For me, I am a beach person... with that being said, this location only had a lagoon -- which felt like a salt water pond with fish and turtles in it for snorkeling etc. The water is pretty cold in April -- so be prepared for that. The main pool was nice and had a waterfall -- but again, I would have rather have been on a beach near the water. This place huge -- has a tram and boat to help people get back and forth, but sometimes you wait for 15+ minutes to use either -- so we ended up walking most of the time.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Caroline N. H
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a week. We have been to Hawaii before but not on the Big Island. First of all, if you're staying for a week or so, I recommend that you don't stay at one hotel the whole time because the distances to different sites is long. That said, I find reviewing this hotel quite difficult.

First of all, I found the staff to be quite pleasant and helpful. Our room was always quickly cleaned and everyone we came in contact with was courteous, if not friendly. However, I think the hotel management needs to step it up. There are not enough staff at the check in/out area. Sometimes there was only one person there. Another issue was when asking staff for basic things, like where are the restrooms, beach towels, etc., we were often met with an " I don't know". This is because the staff are not all employed by the hotel. Some are contracted, etc. but I think everyone should be able to assist guests with at least simple directions because as others have said, thus resort is huge.

My first impression of the resort was that it seemed like a Disney property. Although the grounds are beautiful, there is something strangely impersonal about it. It is also geared toward young children. All the pools are kid friendly. The one lone adult pool is small, in the middle of the Ocean Tower, with no sea view but at least there is one place to relax away from the kiddies and their stressed out parents. There is no beach at the resort but there is Hapuna beach right up the road and another small one close by near the Marriott.

We had a couple good meals at the resort but I was disappointed that the only breakfast option was the coffee shop or the $30 per person buffet. Food is generally expensive in Hawaii but that is ridiculous, especially since the ala carte options will also add up to $30. The buffet is nothing special so does not warrant the high price. I wish they had a more moderately priced option. We ended up going to the store and picking up breakfast items so we didn't feel like we had to be priced gouged at the start of every day.

The room we had was in the Pacific Tower and was fine. The only negative comment I might make is that if you are a larger person, you may have issues getting in and out of the shower because it is very tight. Also, the restrooms out in the common areas were hard to find and only had one or two stalls in them. Really? A resort this size? The beach towel concierge was impossible to find. I found one at the far end of the resort but just took my own towels to the pool after that. Too inconvenient and not well marked. As for the pools, like I said, they are for kids. The lagoon did not look appealing to swim in so I skipped that but did see lots of kids enjoying it.

The other thing that I would mention, is that the resort is out basically in the middle of nowhere so there is no walking to anywhere else. You need to rent a car, which you will want to do to go see the sites around the island or to go to the beach anyway.

I rated this as a three because I think people with young children might really like it but younger or older couples sans kids might not. I would suggest to research your choices for accommodations on this island to find one that suits your preferences.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzyQ62
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We arrived at the Hilton Waikoloa resort after spending seven days in a beautiful house with pool in south Kona, candidly I did not want to leave the house as I am not a resort type person. As we drove in, the property is simply beautiful. Just like a resort should be.....

To my very pleasant surprise from the moment we arrived the Hilton the staff were awesome!! Eric at the front desk was patient with all my questions and assisting with our room upgrade, explained everything without being overly sales oriented. (Buy the discount card!) Once checked-in we proceeded to our room in the Palace Tower. Our luggage was already in the room with the bellman standing by to answer any questions.

Granted the place is huge, but the Museum Walk is so interesting with new details each time. If you do not want to walk they have a tram and boats for you. Remember, when here you are on vacation/conference and things take a little more time.

As for the nature sounds, they were really nice throughout not bothersome at all. We live full time in the Appalachian mountains of Georgia, very remote and very quiet therefore wee are extra sensitive to extraneous noise, but no worries here.

The Chinese restauarant, Kirin was quite good and I am a very particular "foodie" due to my travels. (Will review seperately) In addition, the beach side restaurant was really good. Vanessa was the BEST beach host, always attentive and there when you needed something (Blueberry Mojito, oh yes) Tuna burger....I could eat one right now.

The folks at the beach rental hut were INCREDIBLY nice and helpful. Kau, TJ, John and the rest were so pleasant and kind to our 9 yo daughter, they remembered my name each and every time making for a much more personal experience than one would expect at a resort. We rented paddle boards, peddle bikes, snorkel guy...the whole enchilada and everytime we have excellent service from this team. It made the cost of the rentals much easier to handle!

Also, as a parent this team made us feel very comfortable giving our daughter a little more latitude in how far she could explore on her on. Not free rein but .....

I could really go on and on about the positive experiences we had at this Hilton Waikoloa, even though I did not want to stay there. This hotel and the staff are great, well trained and extremely attentive to their guests needs.

To the entire staff, thank for a great final week on the Big Island! We will definately be back!

Room Tip: The Palace Tower ismore centrally located and does not have an aviary. The feral cats and the mongoo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric H
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

I appreciate your honest review of your recent family vacation at our Hilton hotel here on Hawaii Island. It makes us so happy to hear that our hard work to provide outstanding service and experiences is paying off with a memorable time for you and your family. We will pass along the comments on our staff, they will be happy to hear them. I value your review and hope to welcome you again the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I surprised the family with a Hawaiian vacation for Christmas, and as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member, I chose the Hilton Waikoloa Village. The property is definitely beautiful, but it is absolutely HUGE. They have a tram to shuttle you around the resort, but it is really slow and makes multiple stops adding 30 mins each way to whatever you want to do. Breakfast was only served in one location, so it took us 30 mins to breakfast and 30 minutes back to room after to change and get your stuff for the day. This completely wasted the morning.

The most important thing to know here though is that THERE IS NO BEACH! The photos show a "beach", but it's a tiny strip of sand on their own small "lagoon". The resort map even shows a white area that looks like a beach, but when you get there you find out that it is actually just rock. They get away with making it look like a beach on the map by saying that it is actually coral and not rock. Yeah, I'm sure that's why they made it look like a beach on the map.

I complained to management about the breakfast location and also asked why they don't clearly indicate that there is no real beach here. They totally blew me off without so much as throwing a free drink my way or anything. I was pretty shocked by this as I was a Hilton HHonors Diamond member (their highest tier). They gave me some BS about how this property is the highest redemption property for HHonors members as if that somehow made it better? It is the highest redemption property because they completely mislead you about what you are getting.

Needless to say, I will never stay here again. On top of that, I have since switched allegiance completely away from Hilton and will take my substantial business and personal hotel stays to a competitor.

Room Tip: Check the map to get something near the pools and restaurant or you are stuck taking a tram 30 minut...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Dagwood777

I appreciate your honest review of your recent family vacation at our hotel. I apologize that breakfast was located far away from you as comfort and convenience are some of my highest priorities for our guests. I’m sorry that our lagoon did not meet your expectation and I have reviewed your comments with the appropriate members of our team to see how we can improve for future guests. I value your comments as a loyal member to our brand and I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!