“Sun, Sand, Surf and Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel!”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My family and I just returned from Kona and we stayed at this hotel for 6 day which just wasn't enough. Hilton did a nice job with this hotel, can't beat the surroundings, staff is great but sometimes it is just too big.

We went through a travel agency to book this trip and they did a good job, others confirmed that this was a good place to stay after we had booked so our fears were alayed somewhat. One justs wants everything to be perfect when you go on vacation and this one was pretty dang close.

We rented a Jeep upon landing at the airport and that was the right choice, driving to the Hotel is about 30 minutes north...just a word about driving, speed limit is 55 mph and NOBODY speeds. I talked to a few locals about this and the consensus was: why speed there is nowhere to go, you are on an island and if you do speed all you do is go in the circle faster. Renting a car, that means you need somewhere to park it for the night and Hilton charges $17 for self park and $22 for Valet daily. I choose to pay the extra and if calling as I left the room, by the time we arrived at the front the vehicle was always waiting for us. The Valets were always friendly even though very busy. They waited for us to do our stuff before moving the vehicle and unjamming the traffic jam we caused in the front of the Hotel.

We had a PalaceTower room. There are two additional building for rooms, the Ocean Tower and the Lagoon Tower. Our room was large, 2 room unit. Our 2 boys 12 and 17 stayed on the fold away couch that they said was very comfortable to sleep on. They had a large TV to watch when mom and dad were not ready to get out. There was also an small inroom refrigerator and the standard ice bucket with ice down by the elevators. The main bedroom had a kingsize bed, 5 pillows and was VERY comfortable. We have found that Hilton beds are very good and we were pleased. The only complaint was that in this room it had only one bathroom and it was attached to the bedroom so the boys had to enter the bedroom to go to the bathroom.

The Lagoon is a very fun place. We spent the first day in the sun there we rented Snorkeling equipment and my son also wanted a paddleboard. The Lagoon is protected and has many types of fish and also on our first day we had about 7 Honu or sea turtles in the lagoon we could see up close. Just a very calm and serene animal. Next to the Lagoon was a holding pen for 2 Black Tip Reef Sharks (" No, you can't swim with them," a mom says to her 12 year old son) You can only catch an occasional glimpse and they are next to the Dolphin enclosures which if you pay the money you can swim or enter their pool. The Lagoon does lead out to open ocean which is a bit different, you get the wave action and is much deeper.

They have several pools but after spending the day in the Lagoon snorkeling, I could not get them to dip a toe in a pool.

The Hotel is close to several fantastic beaches. North of the hotel on Highway 19 in the Kohla Area are Waialea Beach, Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea Beach. These each have very good to excellent areas for snokeling. Our favorite was Mauna Kea but you need to be willing to go farther out while Waialea in immediately off the beach. Hapuna is a wide gorgeous beach, bring your own shade it does get hot and trees are not close.

Food. We, in our travels got back to the area late and the sidewalks get rolled in about 9 pm. We ordered room service and it was good but a bit slow. The have a very good chocolate cake if the craving hits late at night. Some local restaurants but overall the food in not spectacular but there is a variety.

3  Thank lbarlow2_99

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Massive hotel, no wonder they have boats and monorails to take you around. We stayed at the Ocean Tower which had a kid free pool, but this pool was very small. What i found weird is that we could not find a swim up pool bar, or drink service by the pool anywhere. Most food outlets were Hilton prices however the cantina was the most reasonable with very good cocktails. Nice ocean views and very comfy bed in the king deluxe room. The ocean pool was very murky and hard to see the fish with poor visibility. Went for a walk past the dolphin area and it was ridiculously small for such large animals, I felt so sorry for them. We only stayed one night that was enough, but if you have kids the lagoon area really caters well for them.

Room Tip: Ocean tower if you have no children, lagoon tower if you have children
3  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just got back from our third stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village in the last 8 years and can confirm that the Hilton is still a very nice hotel. We're a couple in our early 40's and enjoyed the hotel during each of our trips. Our stay was mostly positive with a few items highlighted below:

Location: Great location. Yes, there is no beach at the hotel, but you're close to lots of nice beaches. While technically you could stay at the resort the entire time, get a rental car. You're minutes away from world class beaches.

Size: Every other review says it. The resort is huge. If a lot of walking or waiting on trams/boats doesn't appeal to you, you may want to look somewhere else. We stayed in the Lagoon Tower (more on that below) and the 5 minute walk to the lobby didn't bother us at all. Its actually quite nice to walk around the property and take it all in. The self parking lot is a 4 - 5 minute walk from the lobby and not too bad.

Rooms: In the past we've stayed in an ocean view room in the Lagoon tower (the closest tower to the lobby) and a partial ocean view in the Ocean tower (the furthest tower). This time we opted for the cheapest room on a travel website, which ended up being a room in the Palace tower. Upon check in, we asked for a room in the Lagoon Tower instead without a problem. Very nice room. Our non-view room overlooked the roof of the spa which we expected. What we didn't expect was a fantastic view of the ocean and Mauna Loa beyond the roof. Yes you can hear birds in the room and they seem to have a party at 3:00 am. Didn't bother us too much but if you're a light sleeper, be warned.

People / Service: Everyone at the resort was extremely helpful and great. Check in on a Wednesday afternoon took 5 minutes. We asked for a late checkout on the following Tuesday and we're given until 2:00pm. The checkout took 5 minutes. Note that I did see some rather long lines in lobby at other times so experience may differ.

Food: On this trip we didn't eat a single meal at the resort. The food is expensive there and better food can be found close by. Be warned that all food in this part of Hawaii is fairly expensive. On previous trips we did eat at the resort a bit and found the food to be hit or miss. KPC was great but very expensive.

Other: $25 a day resort fee which gets you a bunch of "stuff" but really only wifi. $17 a day self parking charge. Overall lots of fees, but that seems typical of big resorts. Towel cards - A new negative development since our last trip. A bit annoying to have to get cards for each towel and make sure you turn them in to avoid a $10 charge. Main pool still cold.

Room Tip: Lagoon tower rooms closest to the lobby and have been renovated in recent years.
3  Thank lsuwest
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This beautiful, scenic Hotel provided quiet rest at night and a lot of wonderful daily activities. It was practically perfect. Downside: $17/day parking; Valet attendants becoming petulant when not used during rainy drop off or checkout.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank William S
Reviewed 11 June 2014

great building and grounds, quality not to Hilton usual standards in the service and cleanliness, overall satisfied, but probably will not stay again, incredible Museum walk thru hotel, great art works

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have been to the Hilton Waikaloa MANY times! I love the property and I always describe it as a place you can go and be completely happy without leaving the resort. That said, make sure you get around the Big Island at least once to see the various sites!!

The down side of the hotel is that it is getting dated and they are definitely tightening the budget strings. For example, they used to run the boat all day, but now it is just in the evening hours. You are forced to walk long distances from one end of the property to the other OR take the dated monorail.

Regarding the Monorail, it is very convenient and definitely needed ... I just think it would be nice to see something that mirrors the environment. Likewise, the closed windows on all the cars is a little annoying to me. I'd love to have the open of maybe some open air and others closed ... obviously with that benefit of A/C when it is hot there. I just don't like how bright and noisy these cars are, especially in the evening.

The rest of the resort is just beautiful. They've brought the breakfast restaurants down to really only one, which is a crowded mess. The dinner options are decent, but good luck trying get anything fast. It was faster to literally walk down to the shops down the street vs. wait at a restaurant onsite.

The rooms haven't been updated in a very long time either, although I heard that some are currently under renovation. While I understand this is a very expensive and laborious task, something needs to be done. I was at the resort about a decade or so ago when they did the last renovation.

The bottom line is that I still do like the resort. I would go again, however it wouldn't be my first choice. I think it needs to be raised up another level to meet a higher rating ... nicer pool chairs, more available dining options that are truly destination places that people from everywhere want to go and updated rooms. This is such a beautiful and large property that it holds a lot of potential.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Beachside70
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I just thought I'd take a moment to share our experience at this wonderful property. My wife and 2 kids (preteens) accompanied me on a 3 day stay at the Hilton Waikoloa. We stayed in a one bedroom with king sofa sleeper in the lagoon tower with the Makai experience package. The room is very spacious with 2 balconies, large sitting area, and dining area, and separate bedroom area. Seems renovated well. The perfect size for a family of four. The grounds are very well maintained. The architecture, artwork, and integration of natural beauty gives this property a local character second to none. Some may criticize the size as being too Disneyland like, but my family felt like it allowed us to explore and feel fresh throughout our 3 day stay. We found ourselves taking new routes back to the room just to explore the beautiful property. The kids enjoyed the tram and boat options to explore the property. Although there is no large sand beach on the ocean, a well marked path leads to Anaehoomalu beach which is a fifteen minute walk. The water slides were managed well by staff and we felt comfortable letting the kids go up and down without our supervision. Also the kids loved the chance to check out dvd movies. The selection was good and they found something every night. However there were fewer available ps3 games so if your kids want to play it may be helpful to bring your own.
The check in process was very smooth, well prepared for our arrival, and staffed well. There was no line to speak of. It was a Sunday arrival which may be a little lighter load perhaps. My only suggestion for improvement for the entire stay is to analyze the needs for staffing upon the drive in arrival. There is a valet parking counter, and those attendants are working hard to keep afloat of guests retrieving cars as well as new check ins. These attendants are spread too thin for handling the luggage coming out of he new arrivals, and those exercising the self park option were stacking up waiting for luggage to be handled. I self parked, then checked in while my wife waited with the bags, and even after I completed my check in process, still no attendant.
But that was soon forgotten as we experienced outstanding service from the Hilton staff. We found the staff as a whole to be very friendly, helpful, and concerned about our comfort during our stay. I wanted to mention specifically Leilani who works in the tennis/fitness center at ocean sports. She went out of her way to move us to a court with less "distractions". We spent one hour playing tennis and she came by about 4 times to offer cool towels, pitchers of ice water, and to check and see how we were doing. My only other comparison would be to the Omni Amelia Island where there was no court side service of any kind. I'll see how Grand Wailea fares in comparison, to see if this a Hilton standard throughout the chain. The restaurant staff were friendly, readily available, and attentive to service. I found the housekeeping staff to be efficient and room readiness for daily service and upon arrival was prompt and well handled. We stayed during the first week in June and the property had plenty of space around the pools for easily available stretchers. The property felt like guests were present, but by no means over run. The main Island Breakfast buffet near the convention center was excellent and the omelet station was manned by what seemed to be a master chef handling 6 simultaneous orders of omelets, with no burned eggs or mistakes. I have never seen that at even a Ritz Carlton, or JW Marriott property.

All in all would love to return to this property and would not hesitate to recommend this to friends and other colleagues. Thank you to the entire Hilton Waikiloa staff for a great vacation.

Room Tip: Lagoon tower is closest to the best pools, more restaurants, tennis, spa, and twisty water slide for...
4  Thank 22AmS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!