“Hilton Waikoloa Village”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boerne, Texas
“Hilton Waikoloa Village”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked thru a package deal, flight, car & hotel. As soon as we checked in had to put down a $350 deposit that was used up quickly due to parking in the small parking lot & the expensive restaurants

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,849)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Well, here I am, going on 3 years of marriage and finally writing a review of the Hilton Waikoloa. Shame on me for waiting for so long, as it was a tremendous trip. I love this place. Clean, neat, and lots to do. I loved using the SUP in the lagoon; I loved walking the grounds; I loved the gym. We never used the boat ferry; we walked everywhere and lo and behold, after a week of eating and drinking I think we both lost weight.

As I mentioned, we were there on a honeymoon in September. Since school had already begun, there were no kiddos around and the pools were near empty. If you are able to, and if you don't want to navigate around many children, book your vacation in September and October. That being said, I can imagine this is a great, great place to take families. There is so much to do and see. The pools are amazing, the staff was so nice.

We booked our vacation through Costco and had the breakfast buffet everyday - also highly recommend. The omelette bar was to die for. Look online for deals; they are there and then you won't be nickeled and dimed for everything.

Mahalo Waikoloa Village and aloha a hui hou :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
san diego, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

bathroom grout needs cleaned, it s pretty nasty, the horrible noise from the weed eaters was crazy loud, jacuzzi s were nasty, everything else was good..Good staff...The resort is pretty pricey, but look where you are at. Good location, you have to shuttle or drive to a beach. It's obvious that the quality of this resort is slipping, as we have stayed many times in the past.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Terence R
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great family vacation, loved the resort, all the amenities, the food, the pools, and the beautiful lagoon. Nice variety with all the restaurants on the property. Very easy to get to other attractions on the island. Very close to the airport as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Brentwood, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I will always make this place a destination vacation! I am relaxed every second i'm here. The views are spectacular of the ocean and the Lagoons. Between the tram and the boats the grounds the feeling is purely magical. We did everything we could! Swam with the dolphins (since we could watch them daily from our room we could not resist!), Snorkeled, Kayaked, Ocean side dining, and of course the Luau. You can do everything on the property, however we also took a catamaran snorkel tour with Ocean Sports that was a must do too. We have been to the volcano which is worth doing at least one time if you have the time. We also love Hilo and Kona! There is too much to do on this island you will never get board. I love a combination of relaxing and exploring. I tried the Lomi Lomi massage and it was different then a typical massage, I loved it! I have done lots of traveling with and with out my family and we all agree this is one of our all time favorite places. Here is my must do list: Everything above plus - indulge in a fresh flower lei they sell them everywhere, Go to Kona farmers market, shopping and dinning downtown Kona and Hilo too, drink Kona coffee, eat the fresh fruit and mac nuts, especially Papaya and Apple Bananas are the best. Try a MALASADA (Tex's is on the other side of the island). Listen to local island music stations. Attend a Luau. They never ever get old to me! Everyone is different. The one here had the best food I've ever had at a Luau, lots of drinks, and the show was about the history of the Big Island. The fire dancer was AMAZING! I totally love and miss this place!

Room Tip: Makai - Location Location Location!
Green Features: I love the fact that they care about our environment.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The "Hilton Walk a lot" some call it. This place is huge, and offers a lot of different things for different people. Apparently the grounds are around 64 acres. It is such a big place with really 3 hotels, multiple pools, shops, a very slow monorail type tram for moving people around, as well as a canal with little boats that hold about 25 people that follow essentially the same course as the tram does. Because the place is so big, it sort of deserves a big review. And since I have a 5:45 hour flight I am going to give a fairly wide ranging review.

We stayed in the "Ocean Tower, King Bed, with Ocean View" The rooms in Ocean Tower are dated and need renovation. They are a little worn out and not the most updated colors. The bed was fine, the room had a small fridge - good enough to hold a half gallon of milk, some orange juice, and a some pop and beers - and a little coffee maker that worked great for the free coffee provided each day to have in the morning. It is my understanding that the Lagoon Tower? Has been remodeled more recently, but I did not see it nor talk to anybody in that part of the hotel. The Palace Tower is sort of in the middle but furthest from the Ocean and I am not sure that the views would be as good. Not sure how nice the rooms are in Palace Tower.

I am talking about all these different Towers because you might have a very different experience depending on where your room is. For me, a HUGE part of going to Hawaii is having a room and a lanai to sit and watch the Ocean and smell the sea breeze come in. The room we had on the Ocean Tower had an incredible view over the lawn out over the rocks and into the infinite sea, It was awesome, and had incredible sunsets every night. The lawn in front of the Ocean Tower is often used for wedding receptions and or ceremonies. We had once in front of us every night. Again, we enjoyed it, and found it to be entertaining. That said, if you want total silence and just the sound of the ocean, you won't get here. So go someplace else for solitude, you won't find that here or in any of the towers.
Here are a few other things to note about the place.

• The grounds are beautiful, and generally very well kept. There are many weddings held here, there was at least 2 weddings every night we stayed there. We enjoyed watching that, and seeing people get married, if that sort of thing gets annoying to you, I would not recommend staying here.
• There are lots of different pools, slides for young and young at heart. Waterfalls small pools, kid pools, big pools, pool activities, it is all there. You would have to be a real grump to not like what they offer in terms of pools. My only complaint was that there was not hot tub / Spa near the Ocean Tower. So if you like sitting in the hot tub/ spa in the evenings or whatever, you have to walk almost a 1/2 mile to do it. So I never did it, too much hassle.
• The on premise restaurants are generally pretty good, but expensive. There are a bunch of choices. Pizza, Chinese, Mexican Cantina, Bar Food, and KPC which is sort of streakhouse /fish fancy. We tried most of them all decent to good, all expensive.
• They offer a cool DVD now movie service - you get 2 free movies a day.
• The have a Sony PlayStation in the room. I think they also offer games with the DVD now service. I don't game on vacation.
• Getting in and out of the place does take a lot of time. If you are staying in the Ocean Tower, you have to plan for about 25 minutes and a tram, boat ride or a very long walk to get to your car to leave. It is pleasant in some ways, but after a week it becomes a menace, for that reason along I probably would not stay here again, it is just too much of a hassle getting in and out of the place.
• The hotel attracts a lot of the local people from the island especially on the weekends. They come in by the truckload to have birthday parties, gathering etc. If you have ever been to Great Wolf Lodge, this is sort of the Great Wolf Lodge of the Hawaiian Islands, especially on the weekend days. There are TONS of kids playing on the slides and pools, it becomes sort of a madhouse that way. You can escape it some by going to one of the small pools, but those pools don't have a view and are not that nice.
• Did I mention how slow the Tram is, it is very very very slow. It is island time ++, you just can't be in a hurry at this place.
• They have captured dolphins and you can pay money to pet them. It seems sort of cruel and weird to me, but they don't push it hard at all, and you can just ignore the dolphin encounter thing, and when we visited it seemed like most people sort of just pass by it with mild curiosity.
• Did I mention there are weddings everywhere. It is almost a wedding production line. Not Vegas, but always happening.
• They have a little lagoon that is fed by the natural ocean. That is fun for kids, and people who are not all that adventurous and want to snorkel in a safe protected hotel environment. They have Sea Turtles in there and a bunch of fish. They rent toys, SUP paddle boards, water bike things, pedal boats. Expensive prices, like $25 an hour for a paddle boat, which I thought was a rip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob V
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Makai Towers are quite nice, especially the rooms overlooking the dolphin pool. The property is spread out but if you are unable to walk the 5-10 minutes between locations, you may take the boat or the train/tram. Both are quite slow but you are in Hawaii. The restaurants are all quite good including the Cantina and Italian restaurants for casual dining. Lots of pools and the "beach" is actually a lagoon inside the property. This features a number of activities including stand up boards and snorkeling. Wifi is very good in rooms. Pay for either valet or self-parking. Quite a bit of shopping on site and upscale shopping center and then off property dining with 5 minutes.

Room Tip: For the Makai Tower, the third floor is only two floors up from the access side and three floors fro...
1 Thank Clubsecretary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!