“Still a great resort”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Still a great resort”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our second stay in 6 years and despite other reviewers complaints of this resort's showing her age, we still found the resort to be a gorgeous place to stay. As Hilton Diamond members we were thrilled when we were given an upgrade to an ocean front room on the 6th floor of the Ocean Tower. The view from the room was awesome and we could watch the sunsets from our balcony. The balcony was narrow but very long so you could see different areas of the resort. Yes the restaurants were very expensive but we were given vouchers that saved us $20/couple. Loved the breakfast buffet. We picked up a lot of snacks and lunches at the Queens Marketplace down the road. Loved eating at Lava Lava Beach Club for sunset dinners right on the shores of A Bay. Wnjoyws snorkeling with my 4 turtle buddies in the Hilton's lagoon. Best time to snorkel is in the morning -- water is really clear and the turtles and fish were easy to watch. You can also swim out to the bay that feeds into the lagoon. The later the day, the more people, paddle boards, cloudy water, ugh. Yes, there is this 'towel card' program that is a pain but you can still request extra towels. You're either just given the extra towels or a log is kept with the number of extra towels you checked out. The nice covered cabanas are no longer free, however. I believe it's $50 for the whole day but if you grab one by the Ocean tower your chances of using one for free are pretty good. We noticed the trams were running pretty often with 2 always in transit at the same time going in opposite directions. It's a lovely walk to the lobby if you decide to skip the tram or the boat. We had a late flight out but staying at the resort was no problem. Had a late check out then checked our bags for the afternoon. You can also request a hospitality suite so that you can shower and change in a regular hotel room before your departure. They are available on a first come first serve basis so given yourself some extra time just in case there's a wait. We left around 4:30 pm, went shopping in Kona, had dinner and made it to the airport with only a couple hours to wait. Am eagerly awaiting the next time we can stay at this resort.

Room Tip: Ocean tower ocean front rooms are beautiful with a great view of the ocean and the little bay that f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,880)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I cannot say enough about what a very nice facility this hotel is. There is so much to do, that you could never leave the resort and still have a great time. There are a variety of places to eat from very upscale and romantic to pizza, burgers, and ice cream. Room service goes until midnight. Our room was spacious with a nice ocean view over the golf course with great sunsets. It was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and accommodating in most cases. I particularly appreciated the staff at the spa, who rearranged their schedule to accommodate our couples massage when we got delayed on the tram through the resort.

This leads me to the negatives. The resort is so big that you need to take a tram, a boat, or walk a fair amount to get around. This requires you to add 15-20 min onto your departure time for anything off resort. While the tram runs semi-regularly, there is not a reliable time schedule and it is slow. It is in fact faster to walk in most cases. The boats are nice, but only run after 2 PM and there were never more than 2 boats running at any time we were there even though there were at least 8 docked in our building. Walking can be done, but the meandering path causes you to cover a lot of ground to get the same place as the tram or boats. This is most likely to be expected in a resort of this size and is not necessarily a negative, just something that all visitors must be aware of as a reality of staying here. Again the setting is beautiful.

Last, in a resort of this size, staff can sometimes be hit or miss. While the overwhelming majority of staff we interacted with excellent, professional, helpful, and friendly more than a few stood out as a poor example of how to treat property guests. First, we had a tour to make on one of the days we stayed at the hotel that was off property. I called the valet for our rental car 45 min prior to arrival at the front of the hotel to make sure the car would be ready upon our arrival so we would not be late. When we got there, the car was not even in the queue to be driven up from the valet lot yet. I asked the manager of the valet service what happened and he just said we've been busy man and shrugged his shoulders. We only made out tour due to some very fast driving on my part and it added a lot of stress to a day that should have been relaxing. Second, the day we had our spa appointment, we had to take the tram as the spa was on the complete other side of the resort and my pregnant wife's feet were already very swollen. We raced down the stairs from our room to get on the tram and then sat there for 10 minutes while the driver took an unannounced break. This resulted in us being very late to our spa appointment, but fortunately the spa staff were kind enough to make it work for us. To the spa staff I say Mahalo. To the driver I say, just because you are not in a hurry doesn't mean others may not be. take some ownership in your job. To the resort management I say, put the tram on a reliable time schedule. Third, the second to last afternoon we were trying to plan our last days activities before our red eye flight home. As a Hilton Gold Member, one of the perks is that you are supposed to be allowed a late checkout whenever possible. I called the front desk to schedule this as was told that I would have to call the morning of to see if that was possible. When I perissted she told me that there was currently no one booked in our room for the next day but I would still have to call in the morning. I explained that this would make planning for the next day somewhat challenging and she refused. When I called later that evening to try again, not only was I given clearance for the late checkout, but also told that there was even a hospitality suite we could use to freshen up before our flight even after we checked out of the hotel and was advised how to store our bags, etc in the front. If the first person had offered that piece of information, I would have happily agreed. Fourth, we frequently experienced prolonged holds and wait times when calling for services within the resort.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and we would return again, but the reason I travel almost exclusively with Hilton is because they usually get the little things right. They could do a little better here.

Room Tip: Ask for full ocean views or lagoon views. Also, be cognizant of the distance of your room to tram s...
Green Features: The same as everywhere else. They want to look environmentally friendly, but it's all to save them a buck.
1 Thank docallergy
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Excellent stay and location. Beautiful resort with lots to do. Location is central to everything on the island. Food expensive but great quality and selection. Try Lava Lava Beach Club for a romantic dinner.

San Jose California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I called to book the Hilton Waikoloa only a day in advance when a previously reserved rental home turned out to be bad. I first tried to book a 2-bedroomPresidential Suite for our family group of 5 but was told that wouldn't accommodate all of us (really?). I then asked for a King suite with an adjoining room - eventually I was told that I was getting the most upgraded rooms possible. When we arrived it took over 30 minutes to check in and found we had a plain King room with adjoining twin room. This was not what I asked for and would not work since we had a guest that needed a separate sleeping area (that's why we wanted a suite!). My wife and I spent two hours on the phone and at the front desk trying to get what we asked for. We finally got new rooms at 10pm! But the fun wasn't over yet - the King suite smelled like pee, the air conditioner was stuck on full-blast, and the kids room had a single King bed instead of two twin beds. We took them anyway since we were dead tired by then. The following day the maintenance guy couldn't fix the AC, we had to get a roll-away bed for the other room. The pee smell was subtle but never went away.

We spent the day at the pool and the lagoon - the water and rental equipment doesn't seem very clean.
We wanted to play miniature golf and it was closed for no apparent reason, so we tried to go play pool instead but they only have 2 pool tables for the 2000 people staying at the resort so that wasn't possible either. Isn't it grand when they advertise cool stuff you can do at the resort but then you can't really do it?

It wasn't all bad - the fire-dancer at the Luau was awesome. The breakfast buffet was pretty good. The grounds are nice, especially at night. There are dolphins ...

However, there were just too many difficulties and disappointments.

1 Thank CalTravelGuy
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconvenience you went through trying to reserve the room you wanted and that you were not happy with certain aspects of your room assignment. We strive to accommodate all reservations but occasionally cannot meet every room request. Your experience is being shared with our team so we can find ways to improve. We are glad you liked the grounds around our property as well as the breakfast buffet and we hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was a great place. A little pricey for the breakfast buffet, just under $100 for a family of 4. Good quality, average selection. All the stuff to do at the lagoon - water bike, kayak, paddleboard... - was a little pricey as well($25-$30 for 1/2 hr). Huge property, about a 7-8 min walk from the Ocean Tower to the lobby. Site was beautiful and rooms great.

1 Thank 130larryk
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place is so large you need a monorail to get around! It is beautiful and one can walk... but it is a large property! My girlfriends and I had a wonderful time and found the staff to be very helpful. The rooms are a little outdated and some of the restaurants and really good others not so much. But... the property and service make up for it. I would go back! It is walking to distance to great shopping and some great restaurants!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
KAILUA KONA, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Hilton Waikoloa is a very peaceful, relaxing place to be. Super friendly staff, the views, dolphins, turtles, beach area is just beautiful. Wish we could have stayed longer. My kids enjoyed every second of their stay. It would be nice if there were better Kama'aina rates, but for what we paid it was totally worth the stay. A little family staycation that my kids will always remember.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!