“Amazing Resort for the whole family - But plan to eat elsewhere!”

Hilton Waikoloa Village
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Waikoloa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We just returned from a great vacation at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort! The Rooms are contemporary, spacious, and clean with spectacular views! The resort also has wonderful pool options that the kids will enjoy! But the real gem of this hotel is the natural lagoon that is ocean fed! Large enough for paddle boards, snorklers, kayaks, and swimmers to spend the day exploring! I was amazed at how clean the water was and the amount of sea life. My son spent the day swimming with the sea turtles! As great as this resort is, the food was horrible. Even with the amount of guests this resort serves, there is no excuse for how bad the food was. We ate a several restaurants, including the Chinese, Italian, Pool Grill and the Big Island Breakfast - all bad and overpriced! On our last day we found that Macaroni Grill of all places decided to serve breakfast at the nearby shopping area which was the best food we ate! We definitely would recommend this resort but eating elsewhere will make you much happier! Disney Feel yes. Disney level of food service no.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Lagoon Tower! This building building faces the largest pool and the dolphin p...
1  Thank Paul S
Write a ReviewReviews (8,178)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here for 9 days and really had a great experience. The resort is beautiful and the customer service was excellent. It started at check-in with Frida, who really took her time to make sure everything we needed was in place. She even remembered our names and room number when we came back to the front desk several times with questions throughout our stay.

We upgraded to Makai and stayed in the Lagoon Tower (closest the the main lobby). It was worth every penny. The pools are nicer, it's a closer walk to the spa, gym, parking, etc.

The Malolo Lounge was our favorite spot where Bob, Napua, and Kerwin were so fun to spend evenings chatting with. They gave us "insider" tips on non-touristy beaches and other places to go. They make the best drinks at the resort and we are still talking about Kerwin's magic tricks!!

The best restaurant on the property is Imari (Japanese place), and we tried them all. Second favorite is the Lagoon Grill.

The only "complaint" we have are the number of kids!!! If you are not a kid person, you should stay somewhere else! Kids were everywhere, and they ran, jumped, screamed, and took over every square inch of the pool area. There is an adult only pool on the property at the Ocean Tower, but it is very small and out of the way. When we were on kid overload and couldn't take it anymore, we just left the property and went to do something else.

There are a few shops and restaurants off the property, within walking distance, but we were very happy we chose to rent a car. That way we could go off the beaten path and go to some very nice beaches and local restaurants when we needed a change of scenery. There is no beach access at the resort. You can walk towards the Lava Lava Beach Club to their area, but it's very rocky and hard to get to.

Our room was clean, comfortable, and in a great location. The grounds and artwork is amazing and beautiful. We loved being here and if we ever return to the Big Island, we would stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karen A
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Waikoloa for our 5 year wedding anniversary. The resort has all the amenities you could ask for. Our 2 year old daughter enjoyed the pools, the trams, and the dolphins. We had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed here from 8/12/14 through 8/19/14 in the Ocean tower. The room 4042 was clean and comfortable with a ocean and golf course view. The boat ride to the room docks at the Boat Cantina restaurant in the center of Ocean tower. My kids loved the ride on the boats and tram to our room. The resort is very large so getting around on them helps little kids at the end of the day when swimming in all the pools. There is so much to do at the resort that its hard to leave the grounds. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The only downside, if any is the price of the restaurants. We ate at the Island market in the Queen shops to keep the cost down a little. I would definitely go back to this place again. Enjoy Stephen.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel really felt like a Disneyland version of Kona for vacationing families. It is enormous, you have to get on a train or a boat to get around, everything is manmade, and the food is very expensive. Oh and lots of waiting. Waiting to get to your hotel room upon check-in, waiting for your luggage to be delivered by the bellmen (the property is so large they have an underground tunnel system to move around luggage, fulfill room service, etc.), and waiting for the train or boat. I was in Kona, a beautiful natural destination yet I felt completely trapped in this blackhole of a resort hotel. It's a trek to get anywhere within the property, another trek to the parking lot to retrieve your car, certainly a nice ploy to keep you in the resort and not leave. But I was there on business so needed to leave every morning and carry gear back and forth, so that made everything just so much longer. I found this hotel to be extremely inconvenient for that reason.

They charge you $10 for room service. I had some leftover pasta from one of the resort restaurants and I wanted to be able to eat it later, so I asked the concierge if they had utensils, or if they could be brought to the room, and was informed I would have to pay $10 just for someone to bring me a fork. I can buy a box of plastic forks that'll last me a month for less than that price! But alas you're trapped in this land of resorts so I'd even have to hop into a car and drive more than a mile to get to a market for something like that. What a trap.

All in all, I think this type of resort has a lot of appeal for families where everyone can vacation together in one spot with enough variety and options for you to stay a while. But it's just not for me. I'd much rather camp out in the open and enjoy nature than this manufactured tropical paradise. By the way, one of the nights I found an enormous cockroach on my wall, about 3 inches in length. Had to call someone to take care of it, and glad they did.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank zooee
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback, and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with your experience at our property. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us. We are taking your comments into consideration as we take the steps necessary to make it right for you and our future guests. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to our area.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the resort during the end of our vacation. We've travelled the world and have stayed in a variety of accommodation types, from back packers to 5 star resorts.
As you first enter this resort you're impressed. The architecture and gardens are lovely. Unfortunately, this is where it ends. You have to pay top dollar for absolutely everything. Activity equipment is not included. This I can understand as it is a resort.
The biggest element that left a forever lasting negative impression about our stay at the resort is the extremely poor customer service.
We ate at a few places around the resort and the service staff were very unhappy. They truly portrayed that they didn't want to be a work and taking our order was a hassle.
In one instance the bar attendant was to busy to get us a drink as he was preoccupied talking to his friends and eating beans in the corner.
On another day we went to the cabana desk to make an enquiry. Terry, at the desk, completely ignored us standing in front of him and continued to text on his phone. We walked down to the equipment rental hunt to see if they would help us. They portrayed a negative attitude to us, portraying the vibe that we were disrupting them. All of these staff members have been hired to assist guests, yet all of them wanted nothing to do with us. Their negative attitudes have left a very poor impression.
On a positive note, the dolphins trainers are lovely and are more than happy to answer any question, even if you don't go for a swim.

My advice is visit the place for lunch but don't ever spend your money on staying here!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank lattie
Debi B, General Manager at Hilton Waikoloa Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and while I'm happy you were impressed with the architecture and grounds, I must admit I'm very sorry to hear about the service you received and would like to extend my apologies. We pride ourselves on the Aloha spirit of our staff and this is not the typical experience we strive for. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we always take your comments into consideration as we work to improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area again.

Kind Regards,
Debi
tripadvisor@hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Fifteen years ago my husband and I stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village and this summer we brought our children, a long journey from the East Coast! Again, we were in awe. Beautiful resort and amazing accommodations.You should know that this resort is HUGE! The journey from the lobby to your room is going to be at least 15 minutes...walking, by tram or by boat. Our room was wonderful with a huge luggage room, perfect for those of us with enough belongings for two weeks! We arrived on the day Hurricane Iselle was set to hit the big Island. The hotel was prepared, delivering flashlights to each room, appointing staff identified with specific t-shirts throughout the resort with up to date info, and updating guests by phone, letter and on the TV. They prepared for the worst! These preparations did include closing up all shops, most restaurants and even the pools well in advance of the storm...which actually never hit our side of the island---so the lack of things to do was a bit disappointing. They set up a make shift dining area in a convention room and for $29.95 pp you could eat a buffet dinner which we would best describe as fair...but they tried. Our room was cleaned very early each day and the shampoo, soap, etc. were outstanding! Self Parking is not included but is very convenient to the resort's main entrance. This resort is a perfect example of what is the big island...lava, beautiful flora and much aloha! Can't wait to go back. Hopefully in less than 15 years this time!!

One last note---my daughter (10 years old) did a Dolphin Encounter at the Dolphin Quest location on site...it was amazing!!

1  Thank wdw4me
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waikoloa
Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
21 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Waikoloa Village? Share your experiences!