“LOVE this place”
Review of Auntie Sylvie's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anahola
Auntie Sylvie's
Ranked #2 of 3 Anahola B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“LOVE this place”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I have been home in Florida for 3 months since staying at Auntie Sylvie's, and I still wake up sometimes dreaming about the view from my bed in paradise. This isn't a typical B&B, it's more like a youth hostile with a lot of space, private rooms and clean bathrooms. We loved our stay here. Sylvie is friendly and inviting, she even offered me pajamas when we first arrived without my suitcase, but she also gives you space and privacy. Her place is truly one of rest and relaxation. If you like big resorts with all the amenities or typical B&B's with all the charms of home, this place isn't for you. If you are looking for a quiet slice of paradise that you'll feel is all your own, this is for you. I believe this is Kauai at it's best.. off the beaten track, stunningly beautiful and surrounded by roosters!!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norabora

Families
Solo
Business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I really don't know what to say about the other reviewers here, it's almost as if they are describing a different place. My wife and I spent 2 nights with Auntie Sylvie when we first arrived on Kauai for a wedding. We moved to a large rented house with family members in Kapa'a for the wedding itself but we liked our first two days at Auntie's so well that we returned after the wedding and stayed there for the rest of the trip. As far as bugs, it's Anahola, not Po'Ipu; the wetter climate is always going to have more bugs, and if you leave the screens open they will come in. We had no issues with pests, the place was clean and had a nice old-Hawaii ambience with a great view off of both lanais. And Auntie Sylvie herself is a gracious host that positively exudes aloha. This is not a resort, nor is it a traditional B&B. It's much more private and serene than either of those, and at a very reasonable price. Highly recommend for those that want a truly Hawaiian vacation. If you are looking for a typical corporate resort you can find one anywhere warm, there's really no reason to even go to Hawaii!

Tip: The upper, larger suite has a better view and is more modern. We stayed in the smaller suite, will upgrade to the larger one on our next trip. The price difference is minimal compared to the increased space and better view.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank codyblaze
Idaho
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Much like the last review, we encountered some unpleasant experiences at Auntie Sylvie's. Yes there was the sketchy directions as well as the payment by check or cash only. The owner is quite open about their drug use, her friend made us aware that we may smell marijuana smoke. But our experience was more then that, we had a bug issue it included, ants, cockroachs, geckos, and centipedes all in our room. We left early after waking up to the 7" centipede crawling on me in bed. We left very early in the a.m., and assumed Sylvie would see the problems that we had as there were dead bugs in the room, however even after being turned into the Better Business Bureau she still declined a refund for the 3 nights that we didn't stay. She even denied the bug problem. Please enjoy your trip to Hawaii and don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank explorer1982

Travellers are raving about these Anahola hotels

LA
Reviewed 25 December 2008

Finally, I'm getting around to writing about this ridiculous place. Don't get me wrong, it's a very beautiful property on the perfect island of Kauai... problem is the people who run it... Even before we arrived, directions and info about payment were super sketchy. Once we got there, Auntie asked me for the money, in that passive aggressive pseudo hippie way... ok, fine, not a big deal, just indicative of her personality... Since B & B generally means that breakfast is included, I was surprised to say the least when we were charged... oh yeah, if she offers to pour you a cup of coffee, get your wallet out for that too... We never felt welcomed and the coup de grace was the final bill, which didn't calculate the sales tax properly. She was about $25 off but when I brought it to her attention, she got immediately defensive and thought I wasn't getting with the "island vibe" to argue over a measly $25. Wow. I finally got it, and, honestly, we would have skipped out after the first night if we had found something else but my girl and I were just trying to relax and didn't want to deal. What a scam...

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank dshy2k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anahola
Kauai Beach Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,714 reviews
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Auntie Sylvie's? Share your experiences!