“wonderful people, wonderful setting, wonderful guests”

Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 August 2012

It all works brilliantly here. Kirby and Toby are truly unique characters (Kirby does a mean hula) and they are extremely hospitable. Toby cooks a mean breakfast (Texan omelette, waffles, vary each day, with great fruit plates). There's a communal kitchen/lounge where you meet others, very well stocked. Great hot tub.
Close to Tunnels beach and other snorkelling. Next to a really good Mediterranean restaurant and the coffee in the gallery net to it is great, best on the island. The day spa there is expensive but good. The restaurant has a great Luau.
Walking along the beach is very good and secluded.
It's 17 minutes from Hanalei. In a way it's good to be in the town but then you'd miss out on this great b and b and it's not that great a town beyond restaurants and the awesome beach/bay. It is fine to visit from the b and b whenever. And hanging out at the b and b is mucho relaxing.
Thanks so much Kirby and Toby for a wonderful 6 nights.

Room Tip: Only small number of rooms anyway. Intimate setting but big enough and quiet.
2  Thank Douglas K

Reviewed 28 July 2012

This inn does everything right and we can't wait to return for the fourth time!! Kauai's beauty brings us back year after year and Toby and Kirby always make our stay comfortable by opening their home to us, feeding us yummy breakfast, and pointing us in the right direction for our daily adventures. See you soon!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank ilovevacationss
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This B&B is perfection in my book. Excellent rooms, food and great hosts. The location was ideal for us - close to hiking, excellent snorkeling and Hanelei. It is the second year in a row we have stayed there, and I am hoping we can return next year. Toby is the best, and a great cook to boot. Kirby also rocks, can hula and has an extensive knowledge of the island. I highly recommend this B&B. If roosters crowing bother you, then you should just skip this island altogether. For me it was part of the charm.

1  Thank Natalie K
Reviewed 22 July 2012

For the second summer in a row my wife and I stayed at Hale Ho'o Maha. In short we love this place. Kirby and Toby are at once great innkeepers and interesting, warm and engaging people. The inn itself is very carefully designed to maximize privacy in each room (we've stayed in two different rooms, both great) and at the same time promote congenial conversation over breakfast. We've meet folks from around the world over Toby's pancakes (or similar treat) and exquisite platters of fresh fruits (served with each breakfast). Toby and Kirby have a great knowledge of the island's lore. As well, they can provide informed recommendations for boat tours, helicopter rides and similar. The inn is close to wonderful snorkeling and swimming beaches, not too far from Hanalei for dinners out, and the kitchen is available for guests to use to prepare their own meals (or simply to store beer in the fridge). A nice hot-tub, outdoor showers, and similar provide extra amenties. We will be back, this place is a gem.

1  Thank Dave K
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband found Hale Ho'o Maha after much searching for a reasonable place to stay on Kauai. It was also our first BnB experience as a couple, although I've stayed at one other (in DC). That said, this place sets the bar extremely high for all other BnB's we may try. Kirby and Toby are very generous, to the point of almost making us feel like family. Well, we did stay for 8 days! A few nights we just didn't want to eat out and opted to prepare salads. Kirby and Toby were so very generous that they even shared their own homegrown vegetables with us. Kirby even brought us lasagna from the farmers market for our last night (on her own dime).

While the previous two reviews complained about Toby's "crustiness", I think they just don't get his dry sense of humor. True, he can be opinionated (like many of us), but I think he gives the place character. He's has a kind heart and a gentle soul and usually just totters around the place. I felt completely safe around him, which is a big statement for me, because I am quite distant and cautious males that I do not know well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. The Guava has the largest bathroom, it seems.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Just had a mostly lovely 2-night stay at Hale Ho'o Maha. The place is beautifully decorated, breakfast was delicious and it truly is steps from a lovely, nearly deserted beach. It was great to be able to borrow snorkling gear, beach chairs, coolers and umbrellas.

The only but is Toby, the host. He's a crusty character and really seems to be in the wrong business. I came out for breakfast at 8:30 (breakfast is 7:30 to 9 a.m.), the first of the 5 guests staying there that night, and he was grumbling about the other guests (including my husband) being late to the table. He made a couple of other unfriendly or disdainful remarks when we were there. Kirby, who apparently is very nice, was barely around for our visit so we didn't get to see what she was like. I wouldn't say Toby's attitude ruined our stay -- as I say, he's a character -- but he certainly didn't enhance it as so many B&B hosts do.
I wish Kirby would take another TA reviewer's advice and put Toby in the background instead of having him "greet" guests and serve breakfast.
P.S. The roosters crowing in the middle of the night are a bit of a problem but they are ubiquitous on the island; we had the same problem at another B&B on the other side of the island.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Every detail is perfect, it is obvious that Kirby and Toby have thought of everything and I mean everything! I would highly recommend it to anyone and would go back in a minute myself! The breakfast is a feast. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
5 mi away
Marjorie's Kauai Inn
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville

Been to Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!