“Be aware of details that are not mentioned on their web site”

Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Earth
“Be aware of details that are not mentioned on their web site”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Detail No 1 : There is no possibility to lock your room from the outside, only from the inside. It means that when you leave in the morning to tour the island your luggage is in an open room. It also means that you cannot take a shower or to be in the bathroom or to sleep when your spouse is not in the room because either you lock the room so your spouse can't get in, or you do not lock the room so you feel unsafe to sleep or go to bathroom. No keys.

Detail No 2 : There is no main door to that building, there is only a mesh door against insects. We didn't feel safe at night and during the day, when we were out and as mentioned before couldn't lock our room from the outside and the owners were out, it was very unpleasant.

Detail No 3: Guests are required to take off their shoes the moment they enter the B&B. The owners do supply slippers, but not all persons can wear them.

These are important key details that if we knew them, we would definitely not choose to stay at that B&B. There is nothing written about them on their web site. Fair trade means that a costumer gets all relevant information before he makes the reservation, so that he can decide if he wants it or not. It is not acceptable to hide such basic details, forcing the client to swallow a reservation for an accommodation he doesn't want.

In our room there was only one chair. It's a double room, where is the second person supposed to sit ?
There is no desk in the room.
The TV stood on a chest of drawers lower than the bed, so while laying in bed, our soles hided the screen. It was a flat screen, but a small one, so I had to wear my glasses in order to watch.
The blinds do not cover the bottom part of the window, so it's impossible to make the room dark and the light waked us early in the morning. We were on vacation and there was no reason to get up early, we couldn't rest properly.
The short blinds mean also that at dark, everyone standing downstairs in the yard can see you in your room, in your bed. Very unpleasant.
The bed was comfortable, but it was a Queen although there is enough room for a King.
Sound proof was poor, we could hear the guests in next room talking ( they were not talking loudly ) and when they took a shower, the water flow waked us. So you understand that everybody in next rooms hears you too. No privacy, not to mention sex.
There was a clock in the room, but it was not a lighted one. So at night, when you want to know what time is it, you cannot see it and you don't want to turn the light on and wake your spouse.
In bathroom there was absolutely no place to put or to hang the cloths you take off before shower, no shelf, not even a hook.

At breakfast they serve different kinds of fruits which they grow on their premises. All of them bland.
In the first morning they didn't serve even one slice of bread, only fruits, an omelet that had no salt at all and some unpeeled potatoes. The so called "coffee" was nothing else than brown hot water. The first thing we did in the morning was to find a place where we could have a Cappuccino and a pastry or bagel. After we paid for that breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllKnowMother
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Mahalo nui (thank you for your review of our B & B.) You are quite correct...there are no keys to the four suites we have. You can lock yourself in (in the bathroom as well), just not OUT. Nor, are there any keys to the house itself. I will make sure that this is listed on Booking.Com and our personal website. Our home (the B & B) is is not a hotel...it is a private large home in the country in the Hanalei district. We live here and are here 24/7 - 365 days a year. We do not have a manager.

Yes, we do ask that you remove your shoes...Our 'red dirt' is notorious and the Brazillian Cherry hardwood floors are easily scratched by sand and debris tracked in. Our slippers are the same as most hotels...it is a one size fits all situation...if you can recommend another vendor it would be appreciated.

Our home is 20 feet in the air (on stilts). We are one floor - again, 20 ft. in the air.There are no homes around us, so there would not be anyone to look in a window. I do not have a desk in the bedrooms, but there is plenty of room in the 'great room' and over 12 chairs, counter...whatever.
Why would you need a desk in your bedroom?

Sorry you needed a King bed. Maybe next year I will change it...but, I believe my website is very detailed about the room. When I get a king bed, I will profile this on the website. There is a 10 foot space between each bedroom (usually a storage closet). I apologize for any noise from another room...there is insulation throughout the house and between all walls - best we can do.
There have been 4 children conceived here (that I know of)....evidently these folks did not have a problem with noise...or maybe they were just quiet.

Blessings of aloha to you and yours, Kirby & Toby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We were so excited to book our first trip to Hawaii and we were absolutely thrilled to find this B&B with such high ratings. Once we landed, we got our rental car, put down the top and headed for Hanalei to find our Bed and Breakfast. Found it without to much problem using the GPS. Just a quick shout out to the very rude local punk that was tailgating me, flashing his lights, waving at me with the universal sign of displeasure and all while yelling obsceneties for me to pull over so he could pass - on a narrow two lane road which has no room to pass but I was doing the appropriate speed limit! Anyway after we arrived we found a note on the post in front of our parking space with directions as to where our room could be located. Helpful enough except that I ended up lugging two hefty suitcases ( wife does not pack light ) up three flights of stairs because I could not work the elevator and there was no one there to show me the "trick" to using it. ( I learned that later from Kirby )
The next day we snorkeled at Tunnels beach and then headed to Hanalei for lunch only to be treated rudely at one of the local resteraunts ( I plan on rating them on here as well ). The rest of the day was pretty relaxing and very nice.
We had scheduled an ATV tour of the sugar plantation the next day and decided we would get up early to get pictures of the sunrise. Since we were on the north shore and the sun rises in east we needed to head out before the sun came up. Well I fumbled around the kitchen at about 5 o'clock in the morning since I did not know where the light switch was and I was trying to be quiet so as not to wake anyone else. After finding a coffee cup and getting some water ( I had brought my own instant coffee ) and just about the time I found the microwave, ( remember no one was at the B&B when we arrived and we never got the "tour" - which I saw other couples that checked in later did get one ) Toby flipped on a light and grumbled " what are you doing ?". I told him that we were going to get some pictures of the sunrise to which he replied " so you won't be here for breakfast then?" to which I advised him that we would not. He replied " next time you need to let me know in advance". I was so shocked that I just put my cup of water in the sink and turned around, got my wife and we left to get our pictures. Wasn't I paying $200/night for a bed and breakfast? Do I have to ask your permission to come and go when I please? Was 2.5 hours not enough of an advance notice? Not to mention that we were going to leave a note letting them know. At any rate we went on our ATV tour and then we had to fly back the next day. When we got back that afternoon one couple had checked out and another couple from Germany was checking in. They were greeted by Kirby and immediatly got "the tour". They then proceeded to wash their laundry in the washer and dryer and since we also needed to wash our clothes ( remember we had taken an ATV tour ) we had to wait until their laundry was finished before we could do ours. Around 8:30 pm my wife put our clothes in the washer and turned it on. About 9:15 we heard someone come down the hall, open the doors to the laundry area, and turn off the washer. My wife stepped out the door to be met by Kirby who quickly advised her that " it is too late " and said she had put a note on the dryer. I was shocked and my wife was highly offended but what could we do - she did not bother asking if she could turn the clothes off she just took it upon herself to do so. The next morning we had to be at the airport by 8:00 am since our flight left at 10. I don't know who it was the next morning that started the washing machine from the beginning at around 7 am but it had to be either Toby or Kirby. Long story short we packed wet clothes in the suitcases and headed to the airport.

We are so upset by this whole experience that I do not care if I ever see Hawaii again. Was the B&B nice? The building is nice but the owners need to learn how to treat people a little better. If I am spending my hard earned money at your establishment I expect to be treated with some respect and not made to feel as if I am in my parents house!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. And I did not mention the roosters that crow all hours of the night - literally!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edward M
Aloha Edward M.

Thank you for your review of Kauai and our B & B. We know that folks often arrive late (some as late as 11PM). We write a note for our guest as we (there are only 2 of us) go to bed about 9PM.
On the evening of your arrival I was here - The doorbell did not ring - but the elevator door was right next to the stairway...marked 'elevator' and the doorbell is right next to the elevator...marked 'doorbell'. I am sorry you were unable to locate either - Going up 3 flights of stairs is certainly not fun with or without luggage. You were with us for 4 nights. There are detailed notes in all rooms that states when breakfast will be served - 7:30 to 9:00. You had already been to our breakfasts on prior mornings. We get up at 5:30AM to begin preparations and put on the coffee and begin setting the table. If we are aware that a guest needs to leave early, we try to prepare something in advance that does not require cooking time....ie: fruit/granola.

On another note....the washer/dryer are between 2 bedrooms. You folks were in one and another couple was in the other. The other couple had arrived about 8PM after a 28 hour flight - They went directly to bed as they were exhausted. I felt that using the washer/dryer next to their room would kept them from much needed sleep due to the noise factor. We have since added a note to our 'welcome' instructions that no washing should be done after 8PM. We thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sure wish we could do something about the roosters...however, we are in the country and these roosters have no natural predators. Some of our neighbors actually feed them---UGH.

Sorry for all the inconveniences during your stay here. Hopefully your next trip will not be so troublesome. Blessing of aloha, Kirby & Toby
Vancouver
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I agree with many of the positives, but also the negatives in other guest's reviews.

Positives: The location is good, the rooms are large and clean, Kirby is a very nice woman. Toby is not a social butterfly, but this was not a major issue for us. He was never disagreeable.

Negatives: We felt a bit unwelcome at times (We would enter the main living area where the hosts were and not even be acknowledged with a hello). The breakfast, although tasty (french toast one day, eggs the other) was inadequate. As vegetarians, Toby asked if we'd like english muffins with our eggs rather than meat and he split a small one between the two of us. It was actually a bit funny. Based on other reviews, the prices are now higher so they should not be cheap with breakfast and perhaps upgrade the beach gear provided. Also, don't stay in the Pineapple room if you're over 6 feet tall. Depending on your sleeping position, in the middle of the night you'll wonder where the h*ll the corners of the bed went.

Overpriced ($190/night) and overrated.

Room Tip: Tall people should avoid the Pineapple room with it's round bed.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for your response. We apologize that your time spent here at Hale Ho'o Maha was only received as mediocre. Our aim is to provide the most welcoming and accommodating experience that we can while providing guests with our attention, recommendations, and well-intended service. Going forward, we would hope that any disappointments would be communicated in person so that we can do our best to mend the situation. We appreciate your feedback and will continue to reflect upon how we can improve on our business.

Aloha,
Kirby & Toby
Arizona
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Amazing! We knew from the outstanding Trip Advisor reviews this was the place for us; but still it exceeded our expectations! The business plan and home design are brilliant, but would not be as fabulous without Kirby and Toby. They are truly gracious and entertaining hosts.

The home is beautiful and inviting. Kirby is simply fabulous and marvelously funny and Toby’s numerous interests (cooking, cars, travel…) and all related stories are unbeatable. (… and thank you Toby, for the habanero off the vine!)

The location is perfect for experiencing all the wonders of the North shore (and not too far from the rest of the Island either). We stayed in the Mango room; it was spacious, beautiful and the view is breathtaking (as is all of the North shore).

The reviews about the breakfast are not an exaggeration. Fresh, fresh fruit, the best French toast, macadamia nut waffles and all the delicious rest of the dishes are served with a welcoming presentation and accompanied by a large and eclectic assortment of condiments (I personally recommend the passion-fruit coconut syrup).

I could go on and on (obviously) but I would just be repeating the praise of previous reviews. Do not hesitate; once you have discovered this place on-line, you would do yourself a favor to discover the place in person. Hale Ho'o Maha, because of Kirby and Toby, truly is amazing!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djtropicaldreaming
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Just a big MAHALO NUI (thank you very much) for the wonderful comments. It was a pleasure to have you as our very special guests....Please return so we can talk again!!

Aloha, Kirby & Toby
Cabarita Beach, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I think all the previous reviews some up this B & B perfectly.
We loved it here. Great breakfasts, great rooms, great hosts and great location for exploring the beautiful North Shore of Kauai.
Only a short drive to Hanalei Bay.
Loved meeting the other guests at breakfast and also having use of the kitchen to prepare dinners
We stayed 6 nights and didn't want to leave.
Look forward to going back again some day soon :)
Aloha

Room Tip: All rooms are special. We stayed in both the Guava and Papaya rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank debgeorge8
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Mahalo for your kind words...just love to have folks from Australia visit - Always fun and outgoing. We may just visit your piece of paradise one of these days...if we ever can get away from the B & B.

Aloha, Kirby & Toby
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 5-night stay in Kauai this past week for our honeymoon and had a blast! The home is really, really nice and has a very unique set up which they designed themselves. The house is up on 20ft pillars (really fun painted elevator available), there are a ton of beach and hiking supplies available, a hot tub, really nice rooms, great breakfasts (with a ton of incredible fresh fruit), and great hosts - Kirby and Toby. The big living room and huge fully-stocked kitchen are all available for guests' use. Toby told great stories and has a really fun, dry personality. I saw that some people on tripAdvisor thought that he wasnt friendly - but my husband and I think that was just a misunderstanding of his personality. He was really warm and we had a lot of fun with Kirby and Toby! There is a huge beautiful parrot named Pretty Girl, and there are a few cats on the premises but they dont go into the rooms or anything (but I can see it could be a problem for those who are seriously allergic). Two of the cats' names are Batman (SUPER sweet) and Conan the Barbarian. How cool is that!?!

The B&B is located off of Hanalei Bay and near the Kalalau Valley Trailhead, wet and dry caves, and the adorable / funky town of Hanalei. We stayed in the Papaya room and loved our shockingly beautiful view of the mountains. If you like to stay in places slightly off-the-beaten path as opposed to places in touristy town centers, this is the place for you.

We were really sad to leave...

Room Tip: we loved the Papaya room for a really amazing view of Kauai's mountains and the nice garden out...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 411LisaF
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My wife and I had a marvelous stay with Kirby and Toby last October. Our room in in the Papaya Suite was very comfortable and the memory of Toby's breakfasts can still bring a content smile to my face these many months later. We greatly enjoyed the sweet calm of their location outside of Hanalei, that also gave us easy access to the many treasures of Kaua'i. Of these many treasures, one special one was our hosts at Hale Ho'o Maha, Kirby and Toby, who helped us experience the true meaning of Aloha! This B&B is a jewel!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,714 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!