“The Pineapple Suite is an overpriced fish bow”

Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Hilo, Hawaii
“The Pineapple Suite is an overpriced fish bow”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This B&B is built on concrete pillars 15-20 feet above street level. (The raised structure limits damage during a tsunami.) The Pineapple Suite sits on the street / ocean side corner of the building with a view of other elevated houses in the area. There's a sliding glass door to the balcony which is on the street side. (The wooden furnature on the balcony is so uncomfortable that even if you did want to sit out there, you wouldn't.) On the other outside wall is a large sliding glass window with clear glass louvered windows below. There are curtains which can be closed to cover the glass door and the large window; but, the louvered windows offer a great view of the room from the street and the neighboring yard. I felt as if I were in a fish bowl.

The bathroom door is aligned with the door leading to the common area. During my first night's stay, the door to the common area blew open in the middle of the night. (The privacy lock had been set.) If this had happened when I was changing in the bathroom, other guests may have seen more than they bargained for.

The round bed was quite comfortable, but trying to reach the end table to turn off the alarm was challenging to say the least.

I was unable to turn on the hand held shower head. Fortunately, the wall mounted head worked fine.

On the day of my departure I decided to pay my bill before I had breakfast. When I went back to the room after breakfast to finish packing, I found that all the used towels in the bathroom had been removed. Given that I still had my stuff all over the bathroom counter, it was clear that I wasn't quite ready to leave. Technically I had another 3+ hours before the manditory checkout time.

Would I stay again? NEVER!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Kazumura C
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Aloha & Mahalo (thank you), Harry for your recent review. As in all things, positive or negative, we always learn. We have checked the knob on the shower head (as did our next guests) and have found it working properly.
You were here 2 nights. Did you enjoy your breakfasts? you did not comment on that aspect of our B & B. We are pleased you found the bed comfortable! It was custom made in California...a 60's thing. There are seat cushions for the Teak lanai chairs-Sorry you were unable to locate them, they would have made you more comfortable. We have ordered 9 new frosted louvers (ie: no see).
Did you notice the ocean view?

Thank you again for all your suggestions and comments.

Aloha, Kirby & Toby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
Ottawa
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The room we got had everything we needed. It was clean, bright, with a large bathroom (two sinks), a lanai. At our arrival early (PM), we had a tour of the facility by the owner which was very useful to locate everything. The place is very well maintained. There are not many restaurants around (only the Mediterraneo which we tried and it was good) so that means you may have to drive the very twisted and narrow (5 one-lane bridges) road back and forth to Nanalei. Local drivers can be quite scarry (I saw one passing at high speed facing a truck!).
We also apreciated the beach chairs (good quality) and other stuff they provided. It made our day on Hanalei Beach very enjoyable.
So we had a very relaxing stay. After all, like Toby told us, this place is called the "House of the Rest" or Hale Ho'o Maha. Good name.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures of the various rooms on the web site to choose the right one for you. Some hav...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marienat
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Mahalo - Thank you for writing a review for our Bed & Breakfast. All comments and suggestions are very important to us. Glad you found the home relaxing and hope you will again visit us in years to come. Wish you had attended our July 4th gathering...well, maybe next yer!!

Aloha, Kirby & Toby
PHOENIX
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My wife and I just came back from a trip to Kauai, and staying at Hale Ho'o Maha was one of the highlights. Toby and Kirby were great, and provided both excellent food and tips and stories about the area and island. It was also quite convenient, around 150 yards to the ocean, and the B&B supplied chairs, towels, gear, mats and so on.

Room Tip: Mango room was nice, and had views of the mountains (and if it rained, waterfalls too).
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Mahalo for enjoying our home. We do love to share what we have learned with our guests - especially the history and beauty of the island and its people.

Blessings of aloha, Kirby & Toby
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Kauai to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The last time we spent 2 weeks on a trip just the two of us was 1987! So we wanted it to be a special trip... Friends who lived in Lihue a few years ago recommended the north coast of Kauai as a great place to spend half of our time in Hawaii.

Both of us would rather get to know people who live in a place, take walks, shop at the nearest grocery store, etc rather than stay at a resort.

So, the highlights for us were hearing the conversations about the neighbors cows getting loose and tramping on people's gardens, reading local author Jill Marie Landis' mystery series based on the local Hula group (one of the characters is based on Kirby!), seeing Toby in town in his spiffy purple bug, bringing pizza crusts to Pretty Girl, getting food at the grocery store in Hanalei and making dinner with our new friends from Australia and Germany and hearing Kirby and Tony's amazing stories of their lives on and off the island.

It is a slow, exciting and beautiful drive to town or anywhere else on the island, but there are some truly one of a kind things to see and do very close to the b&b. Tunnels beach has excellent snorkeling (even for beginners), Limahuli Garden, a national tropical botanical garden, is just past Tunnels beach. It is on the site of an ancient Polynesian village and very beautiful and interesting. Ka'a beach is a little further down, great for swimming and watching the sunset. Kalalau hiking trail starts at the parking lot of Ka'a beach.

It was so sad to leave, when do you feel like you are leaving good friends when you check out of a hotel? I'd love to come back really soon...

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Amgarcia28
It was difficult to let you leave!!! We were hoping you could stay for another few weeks.We enjoyed your sincere interest in the places and people of our island. You visited more places than we have been in years. We plan to send you a copy of Jill Landis new book '3 to get L`eid' - autographed copy...can't wait for the book signing - Will send a photo or two!

Hurry back...we miss you..Kirby & Toby
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2013

When I arrived on Kauai I was struck by the drive to the North Shore. Once Kapaa was in the rearview mirror, the wonder of green and sparkling sunshine amazed me. When I got to the North shore, it took my breath away. I have been many places but I will always see the soaring peaks of green footed by a azure sea as I started down the hill to Hanalei. Then when Hanalei was behind the most beautiful, two lane, twisty road showed me how slow life can really get. I could only feel sympathy for the blessed people who lived here following closely on my bumper, wishing they could get past me and home to enjoy their part of paradise. Unfortunately, the thing that makes all the beauty available is a very narrow, and nerve wracking road!

We arrived at the B&B hot, tired and just wanted to get out of the car. The B&B sits quite high off of the ground, lots of stairs. too many for me. Fortunately, there was an elevator! Once we pushed the button and it arrived downstairs, up we went luggage and all. Great! We had arrived at around 3 PM and found a note that directed us to the Mango room, beautifully done and very comfortable. The interior of the house is designed for maximum guest comfort and access. Everything is very well thought out and handy. We found everything we needed right away.

We still had not met the hosts but off to the beach, everything else could wait. It is just a half block walk from the B&B. The water was fantastic and the beach terrific. After a wonderful dip we returned to the B&B and discovered both Toby and Kirby had returned home. Kirby asked did we want a tour and we agreed to meet her upstairs after we showered of in the outdoor shower down stairs.

I have stayed in several B&Bs over the years of traveling, it is less expensive than a hotel and I have always had delightful conversations about the location with the hosts. This was a great place, we could use the kitchen to prepare meals with some spices and condiment for our use. There were menus and Kirby told us about the dining places available. She also offered us a glass of wine and some snacks. We were impressed with the offer to share and all the information they had collected to help us plan for a great stay.

The next morning we got to know Toby who is very much a unique person, he is wonderful in a dry, somewhat acerbic way. The food was plentiful and wonderful. I have a allergy to all sorts of nuts and he kindly made sure all was good for me. All the breakfasts we had were very good, perhaps more bacon than is good, but what the heck, its a vacation!

During my stay on Kauai I learned that it must be hard to have a life without tourists when you are trying to get places and shop. I never felt like I was disliked but, it is a small place and there is certainly are issues about roads. Yikes! Sometimes we just moved out the way so the locals could show us how to cross the single lane bridges and get where they needed to be. We after all had lots of time, we are on a WONDERFUL VACATION!

All in all the whole trip was fantastic. The evenings at the B&B were restful and full of aloha if we wanted to just stop and chat with Kirby. There were also some great cds of Hawaiian music as well as books on Hula and Hawaiiana. Every evening was relaxing and comfortable, what else could you ask for? I will always remember laughing, listening and watching the shadows grow over the mountains. What an incredible place and what kind people.

If I could I would return over and over to experience the splendor of the incredible North shore of Kauai. That and the many kindnesses both Toby and Kirby have shown us make this one of our most memorable holidays. As they say, a hui ho! See you soon!

Room Tip: I prefer the mountain views, especially during the full moon.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Mahalo (thank you) for your kind review. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests. It was fun laughing about the sometimes peculiar things that happen on small islands. The beauty always overcomes! Sure hope you will be able to visit again in the near future - enjoyed your sense of humor!! Glad you had a great time.

Blessings of Aloha, Kirby & Toby
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

First, yes there is a distance between Ha'ena and the airport but it is one of the most beautiful drives 30 +miles. I had to remember that I'm on vacation and the people who live here have a job to get to so there were times where I had to pull over and let the locals by, I got some great pictures at a lot of those spots. When we finely got to our room the was a note that let us know which room was ours. Managed the elevator just fine that saved the foot work. Once we were there it was a relief kick the shoes off. Beaches are so close, great. I noticed a household note I our room letting us know more about our B&B.
When I went out into what appears to be a great room (community/common area) there was a book shelf with photo albums music ca nice library of travel book hawaiianana books and cook books. While there Kirby came home from hula and begun to give our tour of the house. The next morning we got up to a beautiful table setting and I would have thought that the Lady of the house would be making our breakfast , to our surprise Toby was, he's a little ruff around the edges but that don't make no difference to me I'm digging this, I don't have to do dishes, Ya hoo! Off we go to have fun. After visiting the island numerous time I think of how the lifestyle here is so much more lay'ed back then where we come from, there is no need for locks on doors bars on the windows. This was a great place to stay I would recommend this to family and friends.

Great job Toby and Kirby the place is awesome. Just remember that not everyone can see the beauty and the mana through their haze

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kiralei
Earth
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Detail No 1 : There is no possibility to lock your room from the outside, only from the inside. It means that when you leave in the morning to tour the island your luggage is in an open room. It also means that you cannot take a shower or to be in the bathroom or to sleep when your spouse is not in the room because either you lock the room so your spouse can't get in, or you do not lock the room so you feel unsafe to sleep or go to bathroom. No keys.

Detail No 2 : There is no main door to that building, there is only a mesh door against insects. We didn't feel safe at night and during the day, when we were out and as mentioned before couldn't lock our room from the outside and the owners were out, it was very unpleasant.

Detail No 3: Guests are required to take off their shoes the moment they enter the B&B. The owners do supply slippers, but not all persons can wear them.

These are important key details that if we knew them, we would definitely not choose to stay at that B&B. There is nothing written about them on their web site. Fair trade means that a costumer gets all relevant information before he makes the reservation, so that he can decide if he wants it or not. It is not acceptable to hide such basic details, forcing the client to swallow a reservation for an accommodation he doesn't want.

In our room there was only one chair. It's a double room, where is the second person supposed to sit ?
There is no desk in the room.
The TV stood on a chest of drawers lower than the bed, so while laying in bed, our soles hided the screen. It was a flat screen, but a small one, so I had to wear my glasses in order to watch.
The blinds do not cover the bottom part of the window, so it's impossible to make the room dark and the light waked us early in the morning. We were on vacation and there was no reason to get up early, we couldn't rest properly.
The short blinds mean also that at dark, everyone standing downstairs in the yard can see you in your room, in your bed. Very unpleasant.
The bed was comfortable, but it was a Queen although there is enough room for a King.
Sound proof was poor, we could hear the guests in next room talking ( they were not talking loudly ) and when they took a shower, the water flow waked us. So you understand that everybody in next rooms hears you too. No privacy, not to mention sex.
There was a clock in the room, but it was not a lighted one. So at night, when you want to know what time is it, you cannot see it and you don't want to turn the light on and wake your spouse.
In bathroom there was absolutely no place to put or to hang the cloths you take off before shower, no shelf, not even a hook.

At breakfast they serve different kinds of fruits which they grow on their premises. All of them bland.
In the first morning they didn't serve even one slice of bread, only fruits, an omelet that had no salt at all and some unpeeled potatoes. The so called "coffee" was nothing else than brown hot water. The first thing we did in the morning was to find a place where we could have a Cappuccino and a pastry or bagel. After we paid for that breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllKnowMother
Kauaibchbum, Owner at Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Mahalo nui (thank you for your review of our B & B.) You are quite correct...there are no keys to the four suites we have. You can lock yourself in (in the bathroom as well), just not OUT. Nor, are there any keys to the house itself. I will make sure that this is listed on Booking.Com and our personal website. Our home (the B & B) is is not a hotel...it is a private large home in the country in the Hanalei district. We live here and are here 24/7 - 365 days a year. We do not have a manager.

Yes, we do ask that you remove your shoes...Our 'red dirt' is notorious and the Brazillian Cherry hardwood floors are easily scratched by sand and debris tracked in. Our slippers are the same as most hotels...it is a one size fits all situation...if you can recommend another vendor it would be appreciated.

Our home is 20 feet in the air (on stilts). We are one floor - again, 20 ft. in the air.There are no homes around us, so there would not be anyone to look in a window. I do not have a desk in the bedrooms, but there is plenty of room in the 'great room' and over 12 chairs, counter...whatever.
Why would you need a desk in your bedroom?

Sorry you needed a King bed. Maybe next year I will change it...but, I believe my website is very detailed about the room. When I get a king bed, I will profile this on the website. There is a 10 foot space between each bedroom (usually a storage closet). I apologize for any noise from another room...there is insulation throughout the house and between all walls - best we can do.
There have been 4 children conceived here (that I know of)....evidently these folks did not have a problem with noise...or maybe they were just quiet.

Blessings of aloha to you and yours, Kirby & Toby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
Hanalei Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Princeville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,714 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa

Been to Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!