“Our very favorite vacation spot!!”
Location Hanalei Bay Deck- Upstairs to beach
Garden downstairs living room
Garden downstairs twin bedroom
Garden downstairs twin bedroom
Garden in  back downstairs
View of Hanalei from highway overlook
Floor Plan
Sally Sellar Reed arriving in Lihue
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviewed 7 October 2012 for a stay in September 2012

A romantic getaway
Management Response
7 Oct 2012
I am so sorry & sad that these guest had issues of which they did not contact me, some of which I would have been able to correct, such as a new coffee pot from the storage room & checking the refrigerator temperature settings. They could have phoned me for free on the house phone at any time, but they did not. All guests are encouraged to call me if there are any problems. There is also a list of others to call. To fail to contact me and then to subsequently complain is unfair and mean-spirited.
There are three bedrooms, of which one has a king, another a queen, and the smaller of the three rooms, a full bed. The guest has incorrectly described the regular size queen & regular size full beds as ‘tiny full beds’. Moreover, the bed sizes should have been of no surprise to them, for prior to booking, all guests are provided bed size information. This guest has previously stayed at my vacation rental. The, only difference from their previous stay is that one of the queen size beds was replaced by a king size bed.
There are 3 ceiling fans in the main part of the home, but the bedroom ceilings are too low for fans, so I can’t do anything about this. I provide numerous portable fans for the bedrooms. Why didn’t they use them? Again, they were familiar with my house having previously rented it.
The kitchen is well supplied with quality items. The pots & frying pans are of top quality stainless steel & currently available for sale in quality stores. I choose not to use the teflon as it gets scratched right away & does not look good. Also non-stick pans that are damaged may or may not be a health hazard. I err on the side of caution. There are 3 sizes of pans, including a 10” pan. The quests never complained about the cooking utensils in their previous stay.
The closets need to hold items to operate the house. Each bedroom closet holds an extra set of sheets, spare blanket & an extra set of pillows for each bed & other items many guests find useful, such as a portacrib, high chair, ironing board, fans, vacuum cleaner, etc. In any case, most of the same type of items were in the closets the last time the guest booked, & there is adequate space & hangers to hang their clothes. Perhaps it is ‘clutter’ what you don’t need to use yourself.
Originally, these guests booked as 2 couples & 3 little children. Shortly prior to arrival, they requested adding another couple & small child. I said that was alright if they felt they would all be comfortable as they were familiar with my home size. They were still within my home limit of guests & my requirement that everyone sleep on a comfortable bed. I was assured there would be no problems with this.
The mini blinds are problematic as I am so close to the salt water that they are hard to keep perfectly clean. I hope to replace them shortly as I am continuously upgrading my home & furnishings.
My home has been a work in progress over the past 20 years that I have owned it. I am continually upgrading the house & furnishings. There was no mention of the new higher quality living room furnishings; better kitchen lighting or the many other upgrades or indeed the living room ceiling fan which is new since their last visit.
Again, I am sorry that they did not contact me if they had any issues. I did, however, receive complaints from neighbors that there was too much noise on several occasions, when they had promised me, prior to their arrival, that they would be careful to not be noisy and respect my neighbors.
The writer believed that value for the dollar was absent in my rental fee; however, he did acknowledge that the location was outstanding and within steps of one of the finest beaches, and that my home had many amenities. It is furnished with quality furniture; well supplied with kitchen needs; linens & well maintained-- in spite of being so close to the salt air & the ongoing rust issues that dwellers in the tropics have to confront on a regular basis.
These guests comprised a party of 6 adults & 4 children. They paid the low season price of $357 per night to house 10 people or, presuming they split the rent 3 ways, $119 a night per family. If they believe they could find another rental with a location as close or closer to one of the finest beaches & that provides all or more of the amenities that my rental provides, then they should go for it. My home books close to 100%, & there are many grateful families that appreciate what I offer and that my rates are under the rental market for the area.
El Cerrito CA

Reviewed 2 March 2012 for a stay in January 2012

Vancouver
Reviewed 3 February 2012 for a stay in January 2012

Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$200
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing