“This is it...you've found the best!”
Review of River Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
River Estate
Ranked #3 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“This is it...you've found the best!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I just returned from my annual (at least) pilgrimage to River Estate and Guest House...I've lost count how many times I've stayed at Guest House but at this point I know I left a dozen behind a few trips ago. If you want to experience the true true island lifestyle, get personalized treatment and amenities a hotel can't touch (and at a reasonable price), look no more.

At River Estate Mark provides a beautiful house with everything you could possibly want in the middle of complete paradise! I've had the pleasure of watching the jungle grow for over ten years now and even though it seems impossible, it just keeps getting more beautiful with each visit.

The location can't be beat...close enough to Hanalei and Princeville if you simply must connect with civilization, but if you want time to rejuvenate and connect with nature and some of the most beautiful (and accessible) beaches in Hawaii, just head across the double bridges and take your pick. I really recommend picking up groceries on the way in and planning to have a few meals on the lanai...the house is stocked with a variety of condiments and spices (it's kind of fun to see and use what's there) and anything you barbeque and eat in that setting will taste fabulous.

If you need to catch up on your sleep, this is the place! The song of the river will soothe you and you will get the best sleep of your life. I've done a bit of traveling in my time and visited quite a few locations in the Caribbean and the other Hawaiian Islands, but at this point, I see no reason to go anywhere else.

Mark is the perfect host...responsive if you need something (but doubt you will) and you'll wonder how that house is so clean!

Leave your slippahs at the bottom of those stairs and forget about them...you won't be needing them. I recommend you also read russellliesch's review - it is spot on..."be here now". I think of River Estate as my second home. I'm always plotting my return as soon as I leave.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank OCIslandGirl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We loved Kauai but would not return to this location.

What worked:

- Great location for north shore activities like snorkeling and hiking Na Pali trail.
- House is very clean and kitchen well-stocked with appliances
- Plenty of hot water. Great water pressure
- Pleasantly landscaped setting with stream nearby
- Good wifi and free phone
- Feels private and secure

We discovered that our host had been sick in weeks proceeding the trip and during our stay. While we truly wish him well, we also wish he'd gotten some support or back up as we felt quite unsupported.

What didn't work:

- Owner failed to respond to weeks of emails and phone calls requesting information as we approached beginning of trip
- Owner failed to provide us with critical information about how to get in the house, leaving us stranded the first day
- Owner failed to respond to requests for maintenance issues: (hot tub wasn't hot, washing machine didn't work)
- House has low ceilings and was kind of dark. We didn't find it a comfortable place to hang out
- There is a dog kennel or something similar nearby with incessant barking
- Bed in master bedroom is soft. We had asked if it was firm and was told it was. We had to move to another room with a smaller, firmer bed.
- House was not stocked with enough toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags and dishing washing liquid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank jfo57783
mbeqd, Owner at River Estate, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Reviews are a fact of life now. I think it's obvious this person probably would never have been happy. That being said there are a couple of issues that I will agree on. I was inattentive to their needs prior to arrival due to six weeks down with bronchitis twice for a period of 6 weeks out in the period of eight weeks. The hot tub had a tripped breaker on the exterior plug and was repaired the next day. The washing machine front loader door hinges need replacing and they happened to stay when the parts were in transit. I'm sure I told them to use the washer on the deck of the Guest House. The ceilings are standard height and in 15 years of doing this nobody has ever said it was not pleasant to "hang out" in. The master bedroom mattress is more comfortable to me than my Tempurpedic. We stock the houses with what we feel is a good minimum amount of everything. I don't hear them saying they ran out nor did I ever get a call asking for more. It would have been provided to them.
I am very concerned about my not being able to cover my self in the office when I'm out for an extended period and had already started making those arrangements before I saw this review. These last three months have brought this to light as it is a new phenomena for me since expanding my services to include concierge services and a solidly booked calendar for both homes. To me this review smacks of "punishment" from a reviewer for my perceived "failures". It's just the way it is now in the internet age. I didn't fail them at all. Every failure or unhappiness can easily be addressed in detail. I'm not going to do that here. We learn, improve and move on.
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you've just landed at Lihui airport and can't wait to go south to Poipu with its popular beaches, arid climate, sea vistas unbroken by the soggy jungle mountains to the north, plenty of like-minded other visitors to get to know and socialize with, and numerous resorts to choose from, River Estate probably isn't for you.

Located in Haena, Mark's place might seem a little remote at first. Here's how you get there: instead of heading south from Lihui, go north to Princeville where you'll come to the only significant elevation change you're likely to encounter on Kauai as you descend down a narrow road into the Hanalei Valley. Wait for your turn, then cross the first of seven one-lane bridges to the end of the island. For the next five miles the road meanders along the coastline, revealing unbelievable knock-your-socks-off landscapes around every turn. To your right is the Pacific like you've never seen it, turquoise beyond belief; on your right are four million year old cliffs carved jagged as sharks teeth,entirely covered in jungle foliage. Straight ahead is the Na Pali shoreline, looking like something straight out of Robinson Caruso. Five miles down the road from Hanalei you'll come to the fifth bridge, a two-section affair with a sharp right a third of the way in. Don't go across this bridge; you're here. Mark's place is on the left (obviously, there's a river and the ocean on the right) at the very end of the path that leads off the road from just in front of the two-section bridge.
When you drive onto the property and down the path you'll be driving through an amazing botanical garden. All around are house plants like you've seen many times but these are huge house-size house plants that nearly block the jungle and bamboo forest that lies just beyond. Flowing down the right side of the property is the Wainiha River, which can rage during a strong rain, something not unheard of on the North Shore. About a tenth of a mile down the path from the main road is the place. You'll first see it about a hundred yards away, sitting by itself on ten-foot stilts with nothing but jungle and river all around.
After fourteen steps up you'll get to the lanai that goes around the river side and the back side of the house. There's the usual amenities on the lanai - BBQ, washer, dryer, teak table, four teak chairs, river view, sunlight filtered through the canopy of the surrounding eighty feet high hardwoods. At the front door you'll find a ceramic tile that says, basically, take your shoes off in the house. When you open the door, you'll know why. The place is immaculate. Cherry floors throughout, great furniture, beds that will make you reluctant to get up on the mornings. And in the mornings... set the coffee to start at five forty five, wake up by then anyway (if the river doesn't wake you up, the roosters will), be lazy about crawling out of bed to just be amazed at the view you've woken up to. Grab a cup and drive the half mile toward Hanalei to Lumahai Beach and get set for a sunrise walk along a mile long crescent beach you're not likely to forget - amazing turquoise waves, amazing sand, Wainiha River flowing into the ocean along the north end, a curious little cove at the other. And no footprints. After an hour or so, you'll be ready to head back to the house for breakfast on the lanai - the kitchen is totally equipped (and often as not has a pretty thoroughly stocked bar, everybody just leaves what they don't drink) - then have to decide how much of the day to spend just sitting there. It doesn't take long to realize you don't really feel compelled to venture too far from here, that being tucked into this little corner of Haena sets your soul free, that being here is everything it needs to be. Thanks, Mark, for this simply amazing place.

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank russellliesch
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed at The Guesthouse at River Estate over Thanksgiving week 2012. It has everything you could possibly need, is in the middle of Kauai's amazing north shore, yet is tucked up in the jungle alongside the river making for a perfectly private, secluded retreat. Listening to the river while drifting to sleep after a day spent hiking/surfing/snorkeling at the nearby trails/breaks/reefs was the perfect way to end the day and recharge for the next one. The fully appointed kitchen made eating in easy. The only downside to enjoying breakfast on the lanai every morning was we often lost track of time and got a late start on our day. The house is also equipped with boogie boards, beach chairs, snorkeling gear, and a cooler making gearing up for beach days a breeze. All in all, can't recommend the Guesthouse at River Estate enough.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Murfisa
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We wanted to stay on the north end of Kauai and had stayed at the Sheraton 26 years ago so we wanted to rent a house or something more rural. This place fit the bill. It is almost to the end of the road up north, but near to town. The house was very clean, modern, and we loved the lanai that wrapped around the back and side of house. You can sit there morning or evening and listen to the river babbling next to you. The kitchen was well stocked. The owner Marc had said something about floating down the river to the beach, so we took him up on the inviting adventure. Yes the river is cold, rocky, and shallow where we got in, but we had a great time floating down on boogie boards (which were at the house). It does go to the beach and then its a short walk back to the house.
The property is absolutely beautiful with many tropical gingers, bromeliads and ti plants. It is also not far from the Limahuli gardens where they filmed South Pacific.
While we were there, we took the northern departure from Hanalei on a day snorkel trip to the Na Pali Coast. I think it only runs in the summer. It was beautiful. As most boating adventures in Hawaii are, the afternoon trip back is a little rough, but if you like roller coasters you will love it. If you get seasick, you will not.
This is definitely a place we will return to.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robins504
Orange, CA
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is the place to rent in Kauai! Great location on the river, great views, great amenities, great decor...The owner was very helpful and the River Estate has everything you could ever need from the music selection to the hot tub on the lanai. The list goes on but this review doesn't. You won't want to leave.

Room Tip: There are two homes to rent, I liked the one with the hot tub best.