“What a rip off !!! And no beer???”
Review of Tahiti Nui

Tahiti Nui
Ranked #3 of 16 Shopping in Hanalei
Newcastle, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“What a rip off !!! And no beer???”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stopped here for lunch, as it was pretty much the only eating house(couldn't call it a restaurant) that didn't have a line up. With hindsight, it was easy to see why.
The place was roasting hot. With two very ordinary ceiling fans to stir the heat. Asked for a beer, sorry, no bottled beer, only tap beer. Fifteen varieties of bottled beer, five on tap. Local varieties which I have tried and don't care for too much. A 60's old grandma sitting on the same table, but at the other end, asked for a glass of ice, and one of the warm bottled beers, and the barmaid refused to get one for her. The lady told her that's how she has her beer anyway, but still no. In the end the waiter ducked out the back and got a beer and glass of ice and problem solved.
Anyway, no beer for me, so I ask what's good, get recommended the cheeseburger. Got mushrooms and onions as an add-on. Came out, reasonably large, with very nice fries. The only positive. Had all the ingredients for a hamburger, a little on the stingy side though. 1 slice of tomato. 1 single, small slice of lettuce. Now, I just had to assemble it. So, after stacking it myself, I picked it up to find the bottom bun very soggy. It wasn't from the sauce, as there was no sauce at all. No worries, got some nearby ketchup, flipped it over and ate it upside down. By the time I was finished I worked out why the bottom was so soggy. It was that full of fat it just sogged up both buns.
My wife got Kalua Pork Sandwich, with "famous" BBQ sauce. It came out looking like someone had dropped it. So after she assembled it, also with its solitary lettuce leaf and tomato slice, she realised it also had no sauce. The waiter promptly bought some out in a tiny plastic cup. Anyway, the sauce was so nice, she wouldn't share any with me. Moreso, because of the amount she was given, but she did say it was beautiful. Anyway, back to the fries, which still have the potato skin on them and seasoned salt. The wife loved them also, they were good. In fact, they were so good, she watched as the chef was eating them off the plates ready to go out. We could see in the kitchen. He would ding the bell, then have himself a chip, right off the plate (WTF?). To do it at all is gross and wrong in every way, but to do it in view of the patrons. Wow.
So, the bill comes out and I've been charged for my add-ons. $2 extra for the 6 bits of onion and $2 extra for the other six bits of mushroom. Bit of a rip-off I think, but no worries, go with the flow. Now the killer. I get charged for the cheese. On my cheeseburger. I ask about the discrepancy and get told cheese is an add-on. On a cheeseburger. Even typing it up now, I still scratch my head. So my $11 soggy cheeseburger, ends up $17.50. Should've gone back and got the mixed plate from the little stall up the road. Our total bill for two burgers was $32. To sit in the heat on rickety old cane chairs.
Should've known why there was no line up here.
They must do good Luaus, as most high ratings are for the Luaus, not general menu. The Luaus were advertised for $90 per person. There's no way in hell I'd risk that sort of money and eat there again.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank sickaworkin

North Reading, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Rudeness”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We did not eat here. We walked up on a night they had the luau show and asked the bartender what the deal was. He made an obnoxious comment before answering our question. You would think people at the front of a restaurant would be nice enough to oblige potential customers. It was enough to turn us off from ever going back. Guess they don't need the business that bad.

Visited July 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing local establishment”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stopped at this quaint unassuming bar/grill and had an amazing time. We got there right in between lunch and dinner and had to wait about 30min to order food. No worries because the mai tais were great and service was splendid to our three adults and two kids. Once the pizza came out it was even better. Great thin crust pie! Local music and good vibes all around. If the kids weren't so tired I could have hung out there all night!

If you are looking for a cool place to have some grub and drinks this is it. Lots of history, character and great aloha spirit.

Visited June 2013
Concord, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Felt unwanted.”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Long wait for sevice, warm beer and a bad attitude from the woman behind the bar.

I could not put my finger on what was going on, there were other visitors that recieved service so I dont think it was the howlie thing, perhaps just a bad day.

Had one drink and left, cant say I would send anyone there unless they are trying to relive the decendants movie.

Visited May 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Luau local style!”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We wanted a luau experience that did not involve exorbitant charges/Hollywood staging/busloads of tourists. We wanted some island aloha, an intimate setting and an authentic experience. We got it at Tahiti Nui. Every Wednesday evening they transform their event room, roast a pig in the imu out back, pour the mai tais and welcome you into the ohana. The meal was great, with many traditional foods (disclaimer - we lived on the island years ago so we know about this stuff), and the show was wonderful - high energy musicians and graceful dancers doing Hawaiian and Tahitian, classic and more modern. Small stage, big smiles, very reasonable cost! This is a multi-generational family business. Bring your multi-generational family! Don't do "big box" luau - support the local economy, meet some interesting visitors, catch some real luau spirit, and then go take a walk on Hanalei Beach in the moonlight, or hang around to hear some more music in the bar!

Visited May 2013