“Wow!!!”

Wishing Well Shave Ice
Ranked #3 of 8 Dessert in Hanalei
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Description: The best shave ice in Hanalei .
Description: The best shave ice in Hanalei .
Reviewed 24 December 2013

So what's the big deal? It's just flavored ice, right? Well, calling it ice is not even close to how it makes your mouth happy with flavor and a super soft texture, like snow flakes of sweetness.

Bring cash and get the big size ($4.50 - $5.50). No moochers! Each person should get their own. That allows each to select a different flavor and then sample from others.

The wishing well is only open during certain hours. So, make time to go during daylight hours 8 AM - 4 PM, and not Tuesday (or was it Monday?).

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is by far the best shave ice on the island. It's light and tasty and not too sweet. Also tried JoJo's in Waimea this time and for us, Wishing Well was far superior. Try the ice cream on bottom and fresh coconut on top. Price is reasonable and the service was friendly and fast for us. Over the years, we've probably tried all the shave ice vendors on the island and this one is consistently the best. Love the little truck and sitting at the outdoor tables. Hours and days open are a little inconsistent.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our guide book says this about Wishing Well, "Service is strangely moody--sometimes nice as can be, sometimes amazingly snippy or downright caustic." I will say we experienced all of the above in one visit.

First of all, let me say the shave ice here isn't bad. I've had better, but, it's not bad, and options in the area are a bit thin on the ground.

First, math isn't their strong suit. Apparently, to them, $5.50 + $5.50 = $11.25. I didn't argue. I'm on vacation.....in Hawaii.... what's 25 cents? Who really cares.

They were very nice to us....because we read the menu and knew what we wanted and how to order when we got to the window. As we were sitting at the picnic table, we saw the snippy part come out as one lady was asking questions that could have been answered by reading the menu board. Then, we witnessed the caustic part..... I'm not sure what precipitated it, but we saw a man at the window become engaged in a shouting match with the lady about the shave ice he had been given and she then told him to 'just go away'. This resulted in the man dumping the remnants of his shave ice cup into her tip jar and the lady coming out of the truck, chasing him down in the parking lot and throwing the liquid contents onto him and his car.

So..... in conclusion..... if you're in the area and want shave ice, go for it.... just be sorted out from the menu before you step up, have a seat and watch the show.

6  Thank eurocarpaul
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This was the best shaved ice we had in Kauai. It was very close to where we stayed. The down side is , it wasnt open often. They close around 4 and the days they say they are open, they weren't. Every time we passed by and they were open , we stopped. Dont miss it if you are in the area.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I was pretty skeptical about the quality/unique taste of a shaved ice treat having tried several through the years. After a couple days I realised I was seeing more of these stands. So I started asking and the Wishing Well seemed to come up quite a bit more than the others. We all went over and each tried one and it was fantastic. The flavor doesn't soak through the ice and puddle at the bottom of your cup, it actually stays suspended in the ice. Also, you get to add icecream to the bottom which was really different. Man, you gotta just try it and see for yourself.