“Do not stay here!!”
Review of Hanalei Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Hanalei Inn
San Francisco, California
“Do not stay here!!”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We were not able to check in to our vacation rental for two nights and needed a place to stay. This was the only option in town. Ugggh I wish I had never stayed there. The air conditioner was broken, and there was no screen on the main patio door so that you could leave that open for a little breeze. There was a fan, but no source for fresh air to get in the room. Then I took a shower, and used one of the towels in the bathroom. They are a moss green color, but when I was drying myself off from the shower it became obvious that these towels were mildewy. The smell was like cat urine. I called the number that I had for the hotel and they never called back, nor switched the towels. Lucky for me I have a friend in town who lent me a towel. Trust me, you could smell the towels if they were damp from outside the bathroom. The last morning we were there I woke up to see a bug crawling on the bed. I shudder to think of what kind of bug it was. The sheets, and all of the bedding looked as if they could use a wash in hot water as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank phojoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The girlfriend and I stayed for 4 days / 3 nights and the Hanalei Inn, and had a very pleasant experience. All of rooms are essentially studio apartments with small decently-stocked kitchens, which enabled us to cook most of our meals at home and save quite a bit of money (utilizing fish from Dolphin Seafood Market). The hotel is also very close to Hanalei Beach.

The only concern, which we were warned about by the friendly staff is that there are ants about (welcome to the tropics). As long as you keep your groceries properly stored there are no problems. Leave a half-eaten banana on the counter . . . . you will have lots of new 6 legged friends. Again, the staff let us know, and everything was fine. Just be ready to use the microwave in a pinch as proper storage.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedSoxRunner
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2011

could barely unpack in tiny, dank, studio room facing back. probably nicer units towards the front, overall a fantastic area (hanalei) to spend time but that studio room made me want to check out as fast as I can, which i did after one night.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nybigbrian
california
Reviewed 22 July 2011

The negative reviews this Inn has received lately seem to come from the mouths of natural complainers. I've just completed a 9 night stay here. "The urine smell" of the previous review is a mold/mildew odor that results from being in one of the rainiest climates on earth. Bill, the "caretaker" is a genuine and hospitable customer service expert who does not play any music at night. At least none than I heard. This is a laid back, quiet, and affordable place around the corner from the equally laid back, quiet, and gorgeous Hanalei Bay Beach and million dollar homes. I enjoyed morning coffee and evening beverages on the lanai, with views of the beautiful mountains. Stay at a pricey resort in Princeville if you require something more than this. Feel free to contact me if you have questions. I'm OCD and picky. If I can handle an establishment with ease, then the negative reviews deserve a response.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank oshckyby
San Jose, California
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This place is gross. It smells like urine in the room (probably the cat that roams the property) and the kitchen is disgusting. The refrigerator is old and rusted and no longer has a handle to pull to open. The caretaker cranks some bad music at night which prevents me from sitting on the small patio and enjoying the atmosphere. The chairs inside the room are VERY uncomfortable (no back cushion and the bamboo hurts to sit on for more than 10 minutes). For $30 more I would suggest staying in a beach-front condo at Kuhio Shores on the South shore of Kauai. Use Hanalei Inn as a last resort only (actually I would rather sleep on the beach).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Good location, next to Kalalau trail, market, center and restaurants.
Very convenient.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LL_Bklyn
New York, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed at Hanalei Inn for 2 nights. The room was fine - clean, TV, kitchen etc, although not really great: the bathroom was a bit smelly, the towels were thin and there were rather decrepit rugs etc. The "private lanai" was also nice, but given that you're a foot away from the next lanai, didn't feel so private. If you're looking for a casual place close to the beach - which is a couple of minutes away - this works great, but not for feeling pampered or for a romantic vacation etc. Bill who runs the place was very pleasant and helpful. He gave recommendations for places to go and also lent us a couple of pairs of snorkeling goggles. The cat was, as mentioned by others, a nice addition! But I'm not quite sure what justified the $150 price tag - perhaps location and full kitchen (which was nice to have). We stayed on the south side at Strawberry Guava for around $75 and that was a really lovely experience - nice fluffy towels, amenities, beautiful setting, privacy etc

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 1 in Princeville
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
#1 of 12 in Princeville

Been to Hanalei Inn? Share your experiences!