“Great place for our one night with local flair”
Review of Hanalei Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Hanalei Inn
Reviewed 14 March 2013

To start, you need to know what you are getting before you show up or you may be disappointed. We knew because we checked it out online. This is a very small Inn with small rooms perfectly adequate for our one night stay. It is not a resort or the kind of place that is the destination itself. We spent one night because we wanted to eat at Bar Acuda and hike the Kalalau and didn't want to drive up and back from Waimea. Hanalei Inn is quaint. We stayed in room 5. The room had a coffee maker, small refrigerator, microwave, TV, DVD and wifi. Quite a lot for a small place and room. Our room was very small. The check-in process is unique. You look at the board in the covered lanai and just go to your room. The reservation process is by phone and the person is off premises. We had a little glitch with our billing but that was rectified once detected. Bill the manager was terrific and gives the place a very local feel plus he is a great source of knowledge. We had a lot of fun talking with him. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swj1051

Reviewed 4 December 2012

We stayed in unit #5 and the deck was very private, the room was a little small but it was clean. It was handy to have afridge and coffee maker. Bill was great he gave us some suggestions on where to eat and even loaned us a flashlight so that we could walk to the beach after dark. The only suggestion I have would be to clean up some of the leaves etc that fall from the trees. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam L
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Simple, sweet, chilled and relaxing

We needed a room for one night after a long(ish) flight and locals recommended this place - which was a great find.

We called to check availability, and turned up about ten minutes later. The Inn is essentially a row of wooden cabins with decks, set in small grounds with a central area to hang out. Stayed in cabin #5 which is out the back and is one of the smallest (and, therefore, cheapest) rooms but was fine size wise and was cool and airy as we were under the trees.

Lots of chickens and cockerels roaming around (they are everywhere on the island, they're protected and free to roam), and the two resident cats are shy but adorable. Be prepared to be woken up at 5am by the cockerels anywhere on the island...

The guy who checked us in lives onsite (I think) and was friendly and chatty. He lent us beach towels and was happy to suggest places to eat and visit.

Stunning beach is a few minutes stroll away.

No sign of any bugs mentioned by some other reviewers - although a gecko did find its way in and perched on the TV at one point.

This is definitely not resort style living - this is simple, sweet, chilled and relaxing. And this is why I loved it.

Room Tip: Room #1 is next to the car park at the front so maybe a little louder; room #5 is at the back and sm...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MashenkaV
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We only stayed one night here and basically it was just a place to sleep. It was raining a lot and I loved the tuliip shaped water fall thingie outside our door. Really quaint old school place, close to the end of town where you can start the most amazing hikes up into the Napali coast. We loved walking on the beach there in Hanalei and seeing the memorials to local surfer Andy Irons who died. I think it is fine for a brief stay, but too tiny for 2 people longer than that. I didn't see any cats or cockroaches.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Val R
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This review is biased because I love Hanalei so much I could sleep pretty much anywhere there and be happy, but we really enjoyed our stay at The Hanalei Inn. I would happily stay there many more times. It is (I think) the only hotel you can stay and be able to walk to the town, and is affordable. The rooms are very small and basic, definitely could use an update, but that is part of the charm. It feels more like Hawaii should feel than a resort. It is also about a three minute walk to my favorite beach in the world.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erinholly9
Reviewed 9 June 2012

No, not so good. Teeny tiny room with teeny tiny lanai. No air flow, and AC was so high up we had to climb the counters to turn it on and off. Photos are not what it looks like-must be wide angle camera lens. Sheets were itchy, bed was soggy, pillows were done. Cockroaches were in all our stuff. There were cats and chickens all over, which I did not mind, but when I sought back relief and sprawled out on an unused picnic table, the owner came immediately and told me, "You can not lay there. " I almost laughed. Chickens, cats, and cockroaches can, but not me...

Advertised price was 85.99 but when we arrived, it was 149. Wow. Great location, though.

Room Tip: There are five rooms. #1 in close to road, five is in the back by manager and neighbors. REally re...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed for a week in the 'beach house', which is a great location and has a lanai to chill out on. The room was clean but the bed and pillows really are terrible! Not the end of the world for me but if you had back problems it very may well be!
They have laundry facilities which is handy and also wi-fi which is hard to come by in Hanalei.
I returned to Hanalei a few weeks after and stayed at another place which was nice but also joined onto someones house so not as private. Hanalei Inn is good value and prob the only place that will let you stay for a single night for a reasonable price. Maybe just test out the bed first if you stay at the beach house;)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Garden Island Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville

Been to Hanalei Inn? Share your experiences!