“Excellent Food and Great Atmosphere”
Review of Hanalei Dolphin

Hanalei Dolphin
Ranked #8 of 53 Restaurants in Hanalei
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We enjoyed a great family dinner here. The food was fresh and delicious. The broiled scallops and dessert were a favorite. Service was excellent. The best part was sitting outside for drinks and light appetizers while waiting for inside seating. The outside tables are in the garden adjacent to the river and made for a memorable evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,803)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Seriously, if this was not a totally casual place, I would give it five stars. This place was recommended for sushi, which we did not have. We did stop for lunch and had the fish sandwich and fish tacos, which were excellent. My husband said fish tacos will never be the same. These are fairly simple items, but they were that good. I would have eaten there more if it was closer. (I think there is also a Poipu location but I did not know that until late in our trip.)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Loved it here, was a bit confused about whether we were going to the restaurant or sushi bar, they are in the same building but we figured it out. On the right just as you enter Hanalei, lovely setting, you can sit by the river if you want but we sat inside.

You order off the menu which also includes their sushi menu so you can have what you want. We all had a cup of clam chowder which is a fairly big serving so be warned. Hubby then had saba sashimi, son had the lobster roll and I had a whole atrichoke. Hubby then had the beef and lobster which he declared one of the top meals he has ever had. Son had the swordfish and I had spinner shrimp. I wish I had had the beef and lobster as my portion was a bit on the small side but I did have the prosciutto wrapped asparagus which was yum. Finished with the macnut brownie and ice cream and son and hubby shared the mochi. Everything was delicious, would highly recommend. Bit on the pricey side but we did had 4 courses, piggies that we are!

No reservations, first come first served but I didn't see anyone waiting for long, we waited less than 5 mins at 5.30 when they opened.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Nice spot, quick service , very fresh fish served pretty simply ; we'll that' s ok but sometimes a little bit of invention might be interesting too . A starter of rainbow poke ( local version of sushi ,really) really was good but having to order vegetables as extras always annoys me and they have an odd policy of giving you a choice of mashed,chips,or asparagus and one extra included in the price
Not really much on offer for desert either .
OK but not a showstopper.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Seriously, $30 for cut sushi rolls, offensive ... I eat at Nobu in NYC & Waikiki!!
Go to Bouchon's in Hanalei (upstairs at the Chinese Village in the center of town),
order the Vegas roll or the Hanalei roll, Delicious and almost half the price!!