“Paradise Found”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Hanalei Surfboard House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon in Hanalei. We spent a week in the Love Shack at the Hanalei Surfboard house... and felt like we were at a home away from home. I've never been as comfortable on vacation as I've been at the surfboard house. It was a beautiful, private sanctuary. The Love Shack was exceptionally clean and incredibly cozy. One thing I am incredibly picky about is a comfy bed. We slept like logs every night. VERY comfortable bed. I think every day we discovered some new detail with the decor. It's amazing! Love the fully equipped kitchen. We made breakfast several times when we had to leave early for our adventures. I think one of my favorite things about the Love Shack was the outdoor shower. The courtyard is fenced in and secluded so we used the outdoor shower all week. Loved it!

Simon is an incredible host; he has the best suggestions on where to go eat or where the best places are to snorkel, hike, you name it. And he is right: Hanalei really is the best spot on the island. The Surfboard House was the perfect place for our honeymoon. Thank you, Simon! We can hardly wait to visit again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KJeppson

Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I just stayed in the Love Shack and *adored* it. It's comfortable, beautiful and private, with the rare combination of cool decor and pristine cleanliness. It was an aesthetic pleasure to be immersed in the gorgeous colors and textures of vintage hawaiiana and a sensual pleasure to walk to town along the beach and rinse off in the warm outdoor shower. Thank you, Simon, for creating and sharing such a special space!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Corina H
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I had a great vacation here. The entire property is meticulously maintained and the owner is very nice and helpful in suggesting places to see, things to do etc..We stayed in the Love Shack which is perfect for a couple. It is very clean, has great decor, and is very private. The owner provides beach towels, chairs, even frozen mugs in the freezer. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acain
Reviewed 23 April 2012

So at this point, you've read a ton of reviews looking for your honeymoon destination, and you're thinking, "Too. Many. Choices." That's what my wife and I were thinking, anyway.

And then we found the Surfboard House, and the search was over. Yours should be, too.

The details: We stayed in the Love Shack for a week in July, 2011. It was our honeymoon, and we were doing a week on Kauai and a week on Maui. We knew we wanted low-key comfort in Kauai, and Simon and the Surfboard House delivered.

The basics are all there, and are all way, way above the norm. Everything from the design of the space to the little touches like boogie boards and beach mats are, in all ways, about making the stay there perfect. We adored the outdoor shower, which features hot water! The kitchen is well stocked, and a trip to the local farmer's market and a stop by the Dolphin fish market provided all the ingredients for a great meal on the grill.

Simon is as kind and gracious as all the reviews would lead one to believe, and he does go above and beyond to make his guests comfortable and welcome. The grounds of the house are fun (though we also loved the private entrance to the Love Shack) and reflect the overall vibe that permeates the place.

Oh, and the location -- the walk to the beach takes less than 5 minutes at a leisurely pace, and there was never a day when the beach was even close to crowded. Hanalei is heaven. The town itself is as laid back as you'll ever find in a global tourist mecca, though the restaurants can get a little full at peak times.

I try to be balanced in online reviews and combine the good with the bad. Here's the only bad part: you have to leave at some point.

Anyway, if you've read this deep into the reviews and have not immediately sent Simon an e-mail and booked your stay, there's no hope for you in this world. Go. Go now. E-mail him. You will never, ever regret it.

Room Tip: The Love Shack's private entrance, outdoor shower, grill and general vibe make it worth every pe...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jay M
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in the "Love Shack" suite for four days of our honeymoon in October 2011. We feel fortunate to have discovered this small paradise within a paradise. If you can imagine a place that is thoughtfully designed, where needs are anticipated and fulfilled, and exudes a creative and funky vibe -- this is that place. Simon has an uncanny ability to treat you as an honored guest while providing you with all the amenities to feel like a local. We instantly felt at home and had all the privacy we needed. We especially enjoyed the free wi-fi, Simon's CD, record and book collection, and bath products from the Kauai Kunana Dairy. The Love Shack suite includes a private patio and grill so we bought some fresh fish from the Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market and enjoyed a romantic dinner under the stars. If you are lucky enough to visit Kauai's north shore, stay here. We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LolaPodrida
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary for 8 glorious days in the Cowgirl Suite. We were impressed from the moment we parked our car, and set foot into the magical gates...... We followed a cute welcome sign with our names on it to our suite....and it was open and waiting for us, complete with thoughtful touches and AMAZING cleanliness. We felt like we were the first guests to stay there, it was so perfect! Awesome is an understatement. I had booked our stay last June, and realize why he is booked solid! We rented bikes our first day, and did not leave the village by car until the sad, sad day we had to leave. We only dined out once, at The Dolphin for sushi, and found it to be very expensive....so we BBQed every night on our patio at the Surfboard house.....DELICIOUS fresh meat and fruits....we have never eaten so well! We wrapped fresh veggies in foil every night and roasted them next to our meat. It was surreal. I fell in LOVE with the Hawaiian Reggae station 89.9 FM ....bought 3 CDs before I flew home! My husband got a beautiful tattoo at Uncle Tim's Blue Tiki Shop our last day. Our marriage has been rejuveniated! we loved our time in Hanalei, and wish we could be Simon's gardeners for the rest of our lives! He had the window washers, gardener girl, housekeeper gal, etc. doing quiet upkeep daily. It was truly a gem. BOOK YOUR TRIP NOW! We can't get back soon enough.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Deelexicon
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Simon has really made this place a warm, hospitable ... work of art:) The Love Shack is so funky and filled with incredible memorabilia - it took us a few hours just to check out all the cool stuff in this suite. Outside shower is awesome, and BBQ is tops. The location is great, and Hanalei itself is a very special place. We loved our time there, and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
Makai Club Resort
Makai Club Resort
#1 of 1 in Princeville

Been to Hanalei Surfboard House? Share your experiences!