“Perfect anniversary!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanalei Surfboard House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Hanalei Surfboard House
Ranked #1 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Roanoke, Virginia
“Perfect anniversary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband and I decided to go to Kauai after reading the reviews for Surfboard House. We are from the East Coast, so flying to Hawaii for a 1 week vacation is a lot of air travel, but being able to stay at the Surfboard House made it all worth it.

After researching Hawaii and deciding that Kauai would be the best island for my husband and I (who are very active and are NOT resort people), I decided that staying on the North Shore would be the best of the best. I booked the Surfboard house months before I even bought our airline tickets. Pretty much as soon as I found it I emailed Simon to get our week long reservation for the end of September.

We arrived on Kauai at 8:00 p.m. on a Thursday. We rented a car and drove for about an hour, wondering what we were missing in the darkness! We found the Surfboard House without a problem. When we arrived there was a parking spot for us and a sign pointing us to our room. The Elvis Suite was perfect, just like everyone has said. Simon has the best taste in Hawaiana, with some of the coolest vintage pieces I've ever seen (especially the wood carved United Airlines relief map on the wall in the bathroom!). Both my husband and I were thrilled with the room. It's large, comfortable, and just like everyone said, very well appointed!

If you're looking for a vacation where you can lazily wake up in the morning and decide what you want to do for the day, this is it. We didn't stress out about fitting everything in. One day I ran up the highway for the most beautiful 5 mile run I've ever done - morning in Hanalei is stunning. While we were adjusting to the time change, we even made it up for a sunrise in the bay.

We were able to save money on food by shopping at the farmer's market and grocery stores, having coffee in bed (via french press, no less!), and having fresh fruit smoothies every morning, and fixing cocktails at "home". We even cooked in a couple of times on the grill on the lanai. It's how I would live everyday if I could!

Simon was a great host - very hospitable! Yet this isn't a typical bed and breakfast type stay. My husband really isn't a people person (especially on vacation), so having our own private entrance made it feel like we were staying in a guest house, not a room in someone's house. I REALLY wanted to see inside the airstream that's parked on the property, but that time never arose... but ask Simon about his time travelling in it across the US!

Simon has it all figured out. I've now figured out what I want to be when I grow up - a groovy ex-record exec with a passion for gardening and yoga and a guest house on Kauai!!

One last note - I'm late writing this review, but what prompted me to write it today is that I finally got around to ordering from the Kauai Kunana Dairy. Simon had the dairy's whey hair conditioner in the room, and while I couldn't find it during our stay, they do ship! I can't wait for it to arrive!

Room Tip: The Elvis Suite was full of character!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dykstraml

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is our second trip to Hanalei and our first stay at The Surf board House. Having stayed in a number of different places in Hanalei I can safely say with out hesitation this is the best.

Location - just steps away from the idealic dream scape that is Hanalei Bay. Walking distance to the charming town center, shopping, eating, post office and farmers markets. Some of the best hikes just minuets away. And if you want to hang out on the hill over looking the bay you are just a short ride from Princeville.

The Grounds- Simon has designed and planted the perfect garden with every flower and plant. The layout has been carefully made to offer every unit absolute privacy while still giving lots of room. There are also outdoor showers and little nick-nacks of interest. Totally creative and beautiful.

The Units- we stayed in the famed "Love Shack" for 3 nights and the Cow Girl suite for 10. Again, every part of the decoration and layout has been designed with painstaking detail. It would be impossible to describe with any justice to the rooms, let's just say they are unique, comfortable, spotlessly clean and fun.

Simon- no review is complete with out mentioning the inn keeper! The charm, design and attention to every detail comes from Simons passion for excellence. Starting life as a record exec I am sure he never thought this is where he would end up. A story that is better told over cold beer I am sure :) no mater how he got here he has become the perfect host. Giving privacy at all times but around if needed. The personal touch he puts into his business is very much appreciated and his success is well deserved and we wish him well. Until next time.

Aloha Simon,

Liz & Gary

Living The Dream Kauai

Room Tip: The cow girl and Elvis are great as well
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caymanltd
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

This is our third visit in four years to the Loveshack. There is little I can add at this point to the volume of positive reviews posted here. All I can add comes from the longer view of repeat visits. This property continues to sustain the excellence we were first enamored with almost five years ago. Every detail is tended to, cleanliness is exceptional, the grounds of the property immaculate (with even more varieties and volume of plant life than before), and of course, it's location along Hanalei Bay remains one of the best island destinations in the world.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank flg-voyager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We had a week long stay in the Cowgirl room and found it a relaxing, no-hassle, fun place to hang out. This was our first trip to Kauai and we wanted to stay in one place while exploring the island.

The Surfboard House is located just one block from Hanalei Bay, which is a wonderful walking beach. We went out every morning and evening to take long walks from the life guard shack to the pier and back. It was always beautiful (much prettier than the Descendants movie, if you can believe it). A lot of beaches on Kauai are lovely, but the sand is hard to walk on because it 'gives' too much (Tunnels beach is one example). It was great to have this walking beach right where we were staying.

The Cowgirl room is great for all the conveniences. We had a refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, gas grill, and washer/dryer (no stove). This made it very easy for us to eat meals like breakfast and lunch without having to go out to restaurants every time we wanted something to eat. There is a nice grocery store in Hanalei which was not nearly as expensive as i had expected, so we bought apples and sandwich makings and saved our meals out for evenings. It was great to have the laundry facility to keep our favorite clothes clean. We ended up not needing a lot of the clothes we packed (tip: don't overpack....you don't need much beyond shorts, swim suits, flip flops, and tank and t-shirts).

We loved the shower so much that I want to design my bathroom like this. There is a dual headed shower with a nice open design and a non-slip floor that was wonderful to come back to after a day at the beach.

Simon spent just enough time with us. He gave us several suggestions, told us where to park at Tunnels, who to book for the Na Pali coast tour (Na Pali Catamaran). We saw him enough to feel looked after, but for the most part, this was a very private stay. Some inns like this have a little too much involvement from the owner, but Simon checked in a few times in the early days, then left us alone, which was just right.

For fun things to do, make sure you go to Tunnels for snorkeling. Sit in the shade under the trees and you can stay longer. Buy a surfer shirt to keep yourself warm (the water is cold, but the fish are beautiful). Since we are from the east coast we found that it worked well to go early before the crowds show up.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

...the "love" part, not "shack".

My wife and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary with a week at the Love Shack, a very private hotel room (in a separate building) on the grounds of the Hanalei Surfboard House. We wanted a different Hawaii experience from the big hotel/condo/golf course that could be anywhere and Love Shack exceeded our expectations. We LOVED:

- The room: thoughtfully decorated (the owner has stayed in nice hotels around the world and knows how to prioritize a hotel room: awesome bed, awesome shower, spotlessly clean, great technology, appropriate decor).

- The Host: Simon is very accomodating, engaging, and knows how to make you feel welcome. Drop his name anywhere in town and you get a smile and extra special service.

- The Location: steps to the nicest beach in Kauai, short walk/bike/drive to town of Hanalei. Hanalei has a casual, beachy vibe and also a few good restaurants, shops etc. Not too touristy, not too rustic. Just right.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank R
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Simon's amazing attention to detail shows in his decorating of the Love Shack at the Hanalei Surfboard House. . .we enjoyed the vintage Hawaiian decor, the outdoor shower, private patio, amazing sound system, and easy walking access to both the beach and town. We were introduced to new fruits from the local farmer's market, and rinsed the sand off each day with shampoo and conditioner made right on the island! Simon made great recommendations for food and local attractions. . .he introduced us to Evan, a local and professional surfer, and we had an awesome day of standup paddle boarding.

We enjoyed having this wonderful sanctuary to go back to each day after long hikes, swims in the ocean, and island exploration. Truly a gem.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My (now) wife and I recent lodged at the Hanalei Surfboard house. I can safely say the stay at the Surfboard house made our trip and immediately sparked conversation of future stays. Simon is a consummate host. Upon arrival, with our names presented on a sign, Simon gave us a gift certificate to Baracuda (great tapas) that my sister-in-law had purchased for us. Apparently my sister-in-law had contacted Simon previous to our arrival and upon Simon's recommendation she arranged a dinner for us. Simon took it upon himself to obtain the gift certificate for us and even suggested some plates for us to sample. This was the first of many pleasant and warm interactions with Simon as he provided his suggestions for surf lessons, snorkeling, and many other activities.

The room we stayed in, the Elvis suite, was impeccably adorned with antiques and memorabilia. Our back patio, with a table for al fresco dining, also provided a grill which we utilized to make fish tacos. The grounds are kept in an amazing fashion, seemingly each blade of grass was positioned in its proper location.

Many amenities such as beach chairs and a boogie board, including local shampoo and conditioner, complete the experience. My wife and I are completely enamored with the house and cannot wait to visit Simon and his beautiful Surfboard house again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Colony Resort
Hanalei Colony Resort
#1 of 1 in Hanalei
St. Regis Princeville Resort

Been to Hanalei Surfboard House? Share your experiences!