“A lovely retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kalalau B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanalei
Kalalau B & B
Ranked #4 of 5 Hanalei B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A lovely retreat”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

A comfy room with full kitchen and a WASHING MACHINE!! (half way through a 4 week holiday these things are important!!). The balcony was fully screened so no insects. Close to the beach although get there early if you want to park. Stock up with supplies on way in to save going back to the town again. Good supermarket in Princeville and smaller one in Hanalei. Free WiFi. Would recommend this B&B

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OrioleMcFlurry

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Trieste
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Aloha to everyone!

My boyfriend and I stayed here in the Jungalow room for 4 nights in July and we can say that for us it has been incredible, wonderful, exciting experience!!!!
The place is close to the endroad through Kee Beach, Kalalau Trail and Na Pali Coast.
In 3 minutes walking from b&b you are in other so nice beach not crowded!
First of all the room and the bathroom were really clean.
The cost of 12$ of the breakfast is not enough for the value of what Mark cooks for you and for the quantity e quality you can eat!!! Really delicious!
The b&b provides you all the things you can need for the sea and the trekking (not the boots!!)
There is a parking area in front of the b&b.
Sandy, Mark and Christine are fantastic, helpful, really good-tempered, so friendly and reliable.

The New York Times wrote about this B&B. If you want read the article, this is the link:

High balance between quality and price.
Mahalo for all!!!!!!
Barbara and Luca from Trieste (Italy)

Room Tip: The Jungalow room is a nice, clean bungalow with bathroom. If you want feel inside the nature, if yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank silatkali
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I am so happy to have come across this wonderful and homey bnb. I live in a small town on the coast in california. My husband and I recently bought a house, but for 9 years we lived on an avocado farm in the same area. When you live on a farm, who ever else lives on the property inevitably become "family". As soon as I pulled up to the Kalalau BnB, I knew I was home . This place is so comfortable, clean quiet and welcoming. If you are looking for 4 star everything, let me tell you right now this is not your place..If you are looking for peace, privacy and quiet, then this is your place. You will have what you need but in an extremely non invasive way. Sandy, Mark, Christine, and Ronnie welcomed me with open arms (and a coctail). I am a mother of two, a wife and a nurse. I live a busy life..I was finally able to relax, after a few days and felt like I was family to these people. Especially when I was gone over night and half of one day and they expressed their concern about me. You go next door to the main house, and there is no knocking..just a come on in unspoken policy. The doggies are always there to greet you ...I loved them all..Leroy the kitty hangs around here and there..laying on his tummy with his back legs crossed and meows a greeting..I just loved, loved, loved it.. and them. If you are looking for a relaxing time without tons of travel, this location pretty much has it all..Hanelei is just a few miles south..and is just a small little home town to me..Act like a local and they will treat you as such...then if you head north Ke'e beach is at the end of the road..such great snorkeling and very relaxing to boot. A few trail heads are on the way to the Ke'e beach. and more than enough beaches to suit everyone's taste..If you are easy going and don't demand to be waited on hand and foot then this is your place. Plus they all have been there long enough to advise you on many place to go to suit your adventure needs. Another cool thing is that they have all the snorkel gear you need available at any time, extra sunblock (which I left there, easier to leave it than to take it home) I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that if you are looking for a down home place with out a lot of fanciness then this is it. I will go again and again..I went alone this time, and next time I will be renting the Anini Kama'aina house, due to the fact that they do not allow kids at the other location, Which I might add is great for those looking for a break from their kids like I was..I loved it. I loved them. I cried as I left, and they were on the same page, suggesting that Kauai needed nurses like me..Go, have fun. Expect less and you will recieve more..
Before I went over there, I read a few reviews. I went with an open mind..In one of the reviews someone had mentioned that they had a rooster there and that it crowed every morning. First off, the entire island is packed with wild roosters and chickens..Secondly, "they" do not "have" a rooster..Also someone mentioned that the room was mildewy. Let me start by saying that anyone who goes to hawaii and does not understand that there is like 100% humidity is ignorant. Also that part of Kauai is considered the "Wettest" place on earth with like 600-800inches of rain a year!!!! Sooooo, guess what I did? I left my fan on while I was gone..Then.....when I came home everything was dry..It was hilarious that someone would mention the humidity..hilarious..
Some people just look for things to complain about..this was my paradise and I will shout it to the heavens..I loved it, I will return again and again!!
ENJOY!! and Aloha
"Disclamer" I am horrible at punctuation, but I hope I got my point across!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank shannon f
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here for a couple of days in April when we were in Hanalei for a wedding. We stayed in the Jungalow and it was certainly quirky, but I find it hard to imagine finding anything much better value anywhere nearby. The room was relatively small but comfortable and the fan made it nice and cool. It comes with everything you could need (closet for hanging things, a little lanai for hanging out, a kitchen with everything you need for a basic breakfast or to make some snacks, and outdoor shower. the jungalow backs onto a road but the noise didn't bother us at all.

Its a little bit of a drive from the main hanalei town (~15 minutes?) but kind of nice to be somewhere quiet and there are a few restaurants (which we didn't go to) walking distance away.

and its definitely quirky: the 'jungalow' is basically a lean-to shed with animal print furnishings, the sink for the bathroom is part of the little kitchen (feels weird to spit out your toothpaste in a kitchen sink) a short way across the garden, you are invited to use the host's outdoor hot tube but only in the nude (sand and sweat from bathing suits clogs things up), there are funny dogs and cats who like to remind you that you are intruding. the hosts were very welcoming and friendly in person though more abrupt and less friendly over the phone / email (although apparently one of them was sick and gave this as an excuse).

So...if you want a resort this is obviously not for you, but if you want something different and affordable then you'd struggle to do any better than this.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CA_Travelers2007
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 13 April 2012

i stayed here in February 2012 for five days and loved it. Mark's breakfasts are well worth the money and the Jungalow is bar none the the most unique and peaceful hotel/B&B room I've ever stayed in. You get a true sense of the island staying here and your hosts are full of stories and information about the island- don't be shy! I hiked the Na Pali Coast (prized as one of the most beautiful hikes in the world) which is only 2.5- 3 miles away. I could go on, but don't want to spoil it for you. If you want to really get a feel for the island, stay here.

Room Tip: The Jungalow.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Joe B
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 2 February 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in December of 2011 for 5 nights. It was wonderful. The property is immaculately clean and very well cared for. We stayed in the Jungalow and absolutely loved it. It had a comfy bed, an adjacent kitchen area stocked the essential tools, and an awesome open roof shower.

Location was also really good. We thought it was nestled right in the nicest part of the island, it was just minutes from a downtown area with some great local restaurants and at least two terrific beaches within walking distance, with many more in short driving distance. We took advantage of the available snorkeling gear, beach chairs and towels every day. Breakfast here was so good that after our first morning, we quickly signed up for the rest of the week. We would not hesitate to stay at here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank N4864
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I don´t know, what these guys from San Francisco are talking about... This place is real hawaiian. Everything is painted and built with much love and happiness. You have an open-air-shower under palm trees, you can use a nice jacuzzi for free under the most incredible starry sky in the world. You can use snorkeling gear for free, coolers, and everything you need for the beach. Even the sweet cat spent a night in our room. Marc is a very funny guy and has useful tips what to do at Kauai´s beautiful northshore. You feel very hawaiian at this place and its hard to leave. I stayed there for 2 times, and there will be a third time at any time.
And Marc´s Paella was awesome...
So, if you expect a 5 stars hotel, stay in San Francisco. If you love to stay at one of the most hawaiian and most beautiful places in the world, go to Kalalau B & B!

Aloha and Mahalo,
Yvonne & Florian (Germany)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Florian K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanalei
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
St. Regis Princeville Resort
Makai Club
Makai Club
#1 of 1 in Princeville

Been to Kalalau B & B? Share your experiences!