“Fun Find!” 4 of 5 bubbles

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Fun Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Friendly and knowledgeable owners. I wanted a book of Kauai legends and Cynthia recommended two. I chose "More Kaua'i Tales" by Frederick B. Wichman. Delightful book with great illustrations. I wish I had had more time to explore the store.

Visited August 2014

Los Angeles, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Delightful People”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was so glad we found this bookstore. I've never bought a book on vacation but these people are so fantastic that I couldn't help myself. The store itself has a strange magnetism that automatically makes you happy.

Visited August 2013
Salinas, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“The building appears ready to fall down, but the book selection is impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

"Talk Story", in Hanapepe on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai, is self-proclaimed as the farthest Western bookstore in the United States. But that's not a reason to go there.

They deal in new books and old books, some of them being very old books. I found a couple of gems dealing with World War II (you remember that one, don't you? When the bad guys were really far beyond bad, and the good guys, though not perfect, tried hard to do the right thing).

The attitude there is a welcoming one, prices are reasonable and it's definitely going to be worth a repeat visit next trip to Kauai.

Visited June 2014
El Cerrito, CA
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“hurray for the independent book store”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Yes, they're still around, independent book stores with a mix of new and used/reasonably priced books. We hung out here on Friday evening before the Hanapepe art walk, and there's plenty to browse. Comfortable and friendly. Wish we had more room in our luggage for books!

Visited June 2014
Calgary, Canada
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“What a cool book store”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Same for us, as soon as we walked into the shop we were welcomed to "the western-most book store in the United States.

Pretty cool greeting formula.

We felt at home in this store and could have spent much more time if we were not starving. After spotting my Calvin & Hobbs coffret, he proposed me a French version of the cartoon he had somewhere in his back store. Ed went the extra mile to dig it out and found it! I was very impressed.

My wife was very happy to find the Julia Child Menu cook book. Rare book and quite affordable.

A cat live in the store on his own shelf 5 feet from the floor. I thought that was awesome.

Visited April 2014