“Had some of the strangest people there I have met traveling”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #4 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The lady that runs the show is trying to be your mother, the place was filled with Americans looking for that island dream and most where so weird it was hardly worth bothering to talk to them, the female dorm is combined with couples aswell so had the pleasure of hearing people have sex!!!!! The place is a breeding ground for Mosquitos. It's sad as Kauai is beautiful and the other hostel is even worse I would camp in a tent and skip on both of them they are not worth it

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Yuyuyub

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Reading prev. reviews put me off. Guess new mgr. has turned things around. Felt safe. Belongings left on bed or shelf NEVER touched. Cubbies w/mosquito nets & privacy curtain
across front of queensize bed in women's dorm (8). Beach door locked 9:30 pm, but could
get in front if you came in late. Night watchman in front. Manager Trish on duty at all times;
owner Brian checked in daily. Two people cleaning kitchen and bathrooms daily, including
mopping floors. Showers have nice hot water. Trish very pleasant, helpful and responsible.
Met many interesting young people traveling from several different countries. SPECTACULAR LOCATION; MORNING SUNRISE.

Room Tip: Dorms feel safer for stuff left out; perhaps someone could go into rooms, tho I don't think so.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RustySonoma
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Me and my 15 year old son stayed at the Kauai Beach House for the final 4 days of our 16 day Kauai trip. We stayed in the private Blue Lagoon room that looks out on the ocean and palm trees. The room was small and nothing fancy. Just a bed, no closet. At $70.00 it seemed a bit overpriced, although the view is calming and nice. Trish who runs the place, is very helpful and friendly. The hostel itself reminded us of a giant tree house, open on the sides with a tin roof. It kind of had a "Central American, rustic," feel to it. The kitchen and bathrooms, along with everything else are very clean. We would definitely stay there again. HInt: bring your ear plugs, the Kauai Feral Chickens start around 5AM. Also the hostel is next to several business's and the rooms face toward the parking area so lots of loud trucks start early. We appreciated the, "lights out at 9:30," rule, and especially appreciated that they kindly and respectfully enforced it.

Room Tip: Bring your own towel, Since they are not a hotel they do not provide soap, etc
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gfran2
Reviewed 17 January 2011

It was my first time to Kauai and one of the many reasons I look forward to returning, is because of my experience at Kapa'a Beach House.

When my friend and I arrived we were greeted by Lorna, who is a new manager of the hostel. She is awesome! She handles the important logistics of running such a place while also being very friendly. She is on point and notices if someone who is not a registered guest is there which made me feel very safe and secure. She makes sure to inform and enforce guests of the rules of the hostel (i.e. lights out at 9:30pm and making sure to put your name on your food in the fridge) while also connecting on a more personal level for those interested. I appreciated the lights out so that I could sleep at a reasonable time if I wanted or if I wanted to stay up later I could just walk a few minutes away to town or walk outside to the ocean to talk with a friend.

This is truly a beach house. It overlooks the ocean and has a lanai that allows you a place for great views of the sunrise. Free parking directly in front of the hostel. There is a stocked kitchen and lounge areas. My favorite thing about this place is that there aren't walls in many of the common spaces so it feels like a tree house meets a beach house.

I thought the location is very convenient as it's in the middle of both ends of the island. There is an all you can eat breakfast next door for $7.99 and a chinese restaurant across the street that also serves boba drinks.

My friend and I only planned on staying on the island of Kauai for 2 nights and ended up staying an additional 2 because we felt very comfortable with where we were staying and this is just a magical laid back island.

Beautiful location, tropical beach style house, and a friendly staff left me sad to leave and happy that I have a place to return to when I revisit Kauai. I definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a laid back funky place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank treesespeaces
Reviewed 10 January 2011

First and foremost, the peoples writing reviews on this beautiful place have a round trip ticket back to their lame dehumanizing jobs. Kauai beach house is rock solid for a place to stay. It's 30 bucks for a bunk, full kitchen, hot showers, and a chill place to hang out. You may be able to swap stay for work/trade, etc. The owners are very very very reasonable and friendly. It's simply a great place to hang out, drink a couple brews and eat $3.00 t bones from kojima's from across the street. Kauai cattle is the best! Lights out at 10pm but if you want to hang out then you can go into the tv room and hang out, meet some cool locals. Just dont be a hauli tool, open up your mind, heart, speak, share, thats why you are here. You will eventually feel more at home there than at your own grandma's house.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

First, I've actually stayed here twice and both times were horrible! The first time in September, Labor Day weekend we were set up in a private room when we arrived mid afternoon. We didn't feel comfortable leaving our belongings there so we took them with when we drove around the island. When we returned someone else was in our private room. The manager was very rude and basically said tough, you will have to stay in the open room with the bunk beds.
Second time we stayed there (no choice because it was cheap and other hotels were booked), the bed was not set up with anything...sheets, pillowcases, etc...so when I had to keep asking one of the workers for assistance, the manager rudely asked "What does she want NOW?!". Completely disrespectful and we would hear loud music and people talking all hours of the night. Next time I go to Kauai I will pay the extra $$ to stay in a hotel to get actual sleep and a clean bed and bathroom.
One nice thing is the view of the ocean, and the ocean air coming in at night was relaxing. But that's the only nice thing I can say about that place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2010

The beach house is horrible on all levels. It is dirty, unorganized and out of control. The owners son thinks it is ok to bring his dates to the hostel and have loud intercourse on the roof at 2am. The staff, although nice, are unorganized and they steal food. They also allow street people to sit in the tv room , as well as, take showers and walk through the premisis as though they were paying guests. The ' pavillion' out back is loaded with drunks and almost daily there is a fight. Apparently it is acceptable behavior to the staff. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank diesell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#6 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!