“Get the hell away from here”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #4 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Get the hell away from here”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Worst place we've been staying in so far.
I call and reserved a private room with 2 seperate beds and had to gIve my credit card number. When I asked about cancellation policy I had a negative confused answer ending by a " we are a small commerce ". As there isn't so many places to stay around we gave it a try.
So when you get there it looks like there's been a hurricane. Everything is sticky, the dirt hidden by loads of sheets used as curtains. The private bedroom is a joke. Right in from of the kitchen, the door doesn't close as its not really a door and here again a hanged pareo or something to hide it from the kitchen. They give you sheets to do your bed, everything stinks. Toilets are super far and we didn't try to use the all in one toilette shower.
All for 70$!
And the kitchen is closed at night so you can't get yourself a glass of water.
When we found out we went in town to look for something else and found the other hostel, saw the room and for 60$ we would have had a clean , nice closing room.
So we asked if we could get our money back and leave right away but they told us the money was already gone and they didn't know where...
I'm still in the room while writing and I dont dare to go out cause I hear a girl running around and vomiting.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Mekomi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

Id sleep here over any college dorm or no'tel-motel& I'm a young gal. Never saw a bug that wasn't a mosquito(&even those left after sundown) everything is clean. Checking in is at various times throughout the day,(the Helper boys aren't always around) 1pm&5pm I think but if you call the #posted for jay he gets you squared away. Lights out early was respected. The roosters on the beach were loud after the light came into the sky but I sleep light, nobody else heard them. They made pancakes in the morning. Test your bed for comfort before you choose, all the mattresses are different.

• Stayed September 2012
San Diego, California
Reviewed 15 September 2012

this hostel has the best view of all the hostel i have stayed at. i arrived late around 11 pm. and they follow their quiet hour rule strictly (quiet hour from 10pm to 7 am), i liked this. so i fumbled through the darkness to my bed in a female dorm only room. didnot get to see much of the room in the dark until next morning, they have a huge balcony. i walked out, and there it is , the orange rising sun slightly coming out of the beach horizon, only 50 ft away. :) , it is an ocean front hostel with great ocean views. they asked for cash only that night, but maybe because it was too late. and another thing is , their bathrooms looks a little too simple for shower. but rooms are roomy and very well ventilated. you will sleep in ocean breeze. :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed in many hostels and the prime location of the Kauai Beach House is what made it so relaxing and convenient. I woke up early with the rising sun and did some yoga by the ocean side. I really enjoyed walking around the town of Kapaa. The greatest quality about The Beach House, is the people I met from all over the world (more young than old) and many local people too. I found that the local people are very good at singing and playing strings, as well as telling stories. I found it to be a good gathering place and will guaranteed return next chance I get.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Biel, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I've been there for two nights with some friends. There is a large room for boys and a large room for girls and couples. The girls room is open to the kitchen so it may disturb you. We had a really warm welcome from the Boss of the house, Trish. She's such a warm person and you'll get a hug for check in and check out (check out is basically a hug and you're done..) There are some house rules but you don't really have to take care of it apart from being quiet in the evening and the lights go off strictly at 10pm. But you can still hang out at the very near beach actually a lawn.

The first morning a woke up i saw the sea out of my bed and i passed my best night since a couple years it was just stunning to feel the breeze of the sea.

It is kind of a dingy place and you'll probably see some spiders. The showers are less or more clean and there is a grill. They even have free Wifi which worked very well even to stream radio stations. Just over the street is a "super market" but i recommend you to go to a another store.

Room Tip: There is not really a selection! But keep negotiating we had a group discount.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank UlrichM275
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I read a few reviews online and had a mixed feeling even though I stayed in a couple of hostels over the years. When I got there I was positive surprised. I stayed with a friend and we meet very nice people and had a great time. The hostel was clean and there were atleast two people cleaning everry morning.
and to whoever goes... don't expect an hotel it is not !!! It is a hostel but one of the best I stayed in you get the perfect hawaiian experience !!!
Thanks guys. And greetings to Peter, Illie and Vegas :)

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carolin J
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed here one night last year and it was ok. I gave it a second chance this summer and had a great time! It was nice to see the remodeling projects they have going and their new staff was awesome. If you go, say hi to Peter and Illie for me. I'll be back Kauai!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jeff M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!