“cool place but poorly run”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #3 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I reserved a two person bed in a shared room (for a good price) before arriving on the island. A couple of days before the trip, I emailed again to make sure the reservation was still there, and it looked like all was well.
Well, my plane arrived late at night and I made my way to the hostel, where they promptly told me that they just gave away the last spot in a shared room. Of course, I was free to stay the night in their private room, for an extra cost that I was not prepared to pay.
I explained that I had a reservation specifically because I didn't have the money for a private room, and their response was to take it or leave it. It was my first night on the island, and it was already 8 PM. They knew I had no choice. I took the miniature, moldy private room, not knowing that for $20 more, I could get a room at the super nice Hotel Coral Reef right next door.
Don't get tricked if you want to reserve a room. If you're just dropping in, it seemed like a cool/friendly enough place as long as they have the room for you.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jacob R

Reviewed 25 December 2012

I've stayed here three times and it's always fantastic, I'll definitely be back again. Don't get what's up with the bad reviews, don't pay attention to them, housing in Kauai doesn't get better than this, especially for the price. I book the blue lagoon room which looks out at the ocean, has one door opening onto the big porch, tile floor and a fabulous king size bed for $70. The kitchen has everything you need, it's across the street from a grocery store and you can easily walk to the old downtown Kapa'a. Everything is clean and the people are super friendly. Did I mention that I'm here this time with my three year old? She loves it here, and she's a world traveler who has stayed in expensive hotels. If you're looking for rowdy parties look elsewhere. This place is quiet with lights out at 9:30. Love, love, love this place.

Room Tip: If you want a private room, I like the blue lagoon room. Great for a couple, and has been great for...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Beth Ann H
Reviewed 19 December 2012

well whatever you may read, the bad stuff, i don't get it. doesn't get better then this if you wanna hit kauai on a budget. feels more like a big house then a hostel for sure, everythin is open and the breeze flows everywhere. i can relate to the fact that some dorm rooms kinda suck more then others, for sure. if your a girl or a couple, make sure to book a bed in the "islands room", by far the sweetest for the same price ...
location is perfect, right on the beach, on the east coast, great to start your day and hit the road. town is cool, with all the stuff you need around.
staff is super friendly and helpful, i appreciated the quiet time at night, there's plenty of outside cool places on the beach to party and talk. all kinds of people, nice crowd.
i stayed there just about 3 weeks, on and off. loved it, met great friends. it's clean, really.
hot water but you gotta hold the shower pole haha but really who cares you're in paradise.
it's all good, it's great !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank sonia f
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This hostel is fantastic! it is right on the beach and the woman's dorm is like Never Never land with privacy for each bunk. Mike is very helpful, kind, knowledgable, and a great cook to boot. Full of the Aloha spirit! i feel very comfortable here and reccomend it highly!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Krystl K
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We came to Kauai planning on camping out to save money. First night we wanted to stay at the Hostel to get a hot shower and gain our bearings on the island. $45 for me and my friend to share a spot directly on the water was too good to be true. There was so many fun and adventurous people, we had to make this our BASE CAMP, and ended up staying at the Beach House all 10 nights on Kauai.
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEIR AMAZING LOCATION... the ocean is seriously in their backyard. And falling asleep to the sound of the ocean made us feel close enough to camping that we didn't missed out on anything.
The staff knows the island very well and were able to make suggestions on so many levels when we showed interest on different locations on this "Garden Island." They kept the place very clean, considering it being a hostel and not a hotel.
Next time I'm on Kauai. I'm staying at this place. It could be one of the best hostels on the planet!

ON THE BEACH IN HAWAII

Room Tip: Almost all of their rooms face the ocean. I would choose one of those!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jamie L
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We moved around the islands on our recent trip and found this hostel to be the best we encountered. It has an international flavor, is very clean and neat; the place is scrubbed daily. There is a new manager named Sean. He and his staff are professional while relaxed, full of information for local hikes, swimming, clubs, music, stores, and restaurants. The kitchen area is well maintained and has sufficient space in its refrigerators to accomodate all guests. We woke up each morning in time to walk across the bike path to exercise, stretch, and do yoga for the sunrise beneath the palms at the water's edge. It was beautiful. The guests' are of mixed ages and nationalities. Everyone was friendly and helpful, as were we when we could answer questions of places to go with new guests. The place has an excellent location, on the beach in the middle of Kapa'a. We will be back in the spring.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room, Blue Lagoon Room. It faces east so you get the sunrise if you are an ea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2012

jus wanted to give a big shout out to da guys at KBH! ive been visiting Kauai since 2009 and the Beach House is the ONLY PLACE i will stay! ive stayed here on numerous occasions and never gave the place a proper review.... everytime i come and stay, im treated with the utmost respect, warmth, and aloha spirit that the whole world should know about! for travellers looking for a simple place to stay looking for a no frills laid back atmosphere with that cozy island feel, then u have come to the right place, however, if you are looking for something that is more akin to a hotel, with maids and room service, perhaps you SHOULD go to a hotel. for 30 bucks a night, you get exactly what you pay for, a bed with clean sheets, a fully functioning kitchen, hot showers and clean bathrooms... what also makes this place so desireable a place for someone like me is that you meet ppl from all over the world, between guests, work-trade staff, and long term residents alike. they are all a loveable and memorable cast of characters indeed! and while the faces are always changing, the Hostel will always remain the same! AWESOME! In short, im merely a traveller that lives a low key , low maintainence lifestyle. In closing, i jus wanna say big MAHALOZ to Shawn, Adam, Jill, Illie, Mike D, Jay, and Little B'o'B, as well as all other former staff members and visitors ive accquainted myself with over the years here! with many more to come. "Aint no Lie, gonna ride till i die, all You Seperators UNITE!"

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kingfaamao75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#2 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!