“Kauai Beach House Hostel was amazing!!”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #3 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My friend and I and her two young boys showed up there and they were friendly, they made room for us and met all of our needs. The place was clean, was right on the beach and in a great location in proximity to shopping and food. It has a really cool open atmosphere and a tree-house-like central interior. The other guests were respectful of each other, their belongings and the noise level. It was NOT a "spring break" break crazy-up-all-night-partying kind of place. The beds had netting to keep any mosquitoes out because the doors need to stay open. There is no air conditioning as it is a generally cool location and the air cools down at night. I liked the kitchen area and the community vibes. There was also a "free" box that people can leave and take items left there, which can come in really handy. The showers were just fine, after trecking through the Na Pali coast, I was super grateful for a clean, affordable place with a hot shower. They do not provide any free food or breakfasts like some hostels do, but other guests often leave food and are usually willing to share. (I brought my own, just an observation). The beds were about queen size bunks (that we stayed in, not sure about the rest) and they were comfy. I would definitely go back to this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I absolutely love this Hostel, beach front, open and airy, great staff, very comfy beds, and a totally tropical feel. Jason, one of the staff members, was always cleaning, moping, and leaf blowing. He was always working to keep the place clean. Aaron, another staff member, was very helpful, friendly, and a wonderful person. Will, the manager, has an awesome spirit and was loving and friendly towards us. Brian, the owner, was very nice to us and we liked talking with him. My girlfriend and I stayed down stairs in the mixed dorm, July 8 and 9, in the most comfortable bed. We didn’t think we would need the blanket on the bed at night but the air blowing in from right off the water was nice, cool, and yes we used the blanket to keep warm. The views are amazing! I wanted to take a swim one afternoon and since there are rocks right in front of the hostel on the beach, I walked 50 feet or so down the beach (either side) where there is nice sand and had a wonderful swim. There are so many places to sit, visit, and congregate at this Hostel, open space everywhere. There are only 2 Hostels on the Island of Kauai, we stayed at them both. The Kauai Beach House Hostel was the better Hostel hands down; there really is no comparison or competition. We can’t wait to come back and stay here again. I miss this place and it will always have a warm place in my heart.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank missawesome100
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Two of us stayed in the mixed dorm downstairs sharing the double bed. We stayed on July 8th and July 9th 2013. I have no clue why this place is getting bad reviews regarding the state of the hostel. I feel these bad reviewers are nit picky people who don’t know how to be grateful for such a beautiful place.

The owner Brian is very friendly, Will was very nice, Aaron was also very nice. There was a young woman there can’t remember her name but she has a little girl name Niyah, she was very welcoming too and showed concern for us and our wellbeing.

I don’t know what the reviewers who complain about uncleanliness at this place are talking about. Jason is constantly cleaning, mopping the floors and blowing leaves cleaning the outside areas. My girlfriend and I were watching him work so very hard to keep the place clean. He is doing an awesome job. No complaints here about the cleanliness of this hostel.

I can’t believe people complain about the roosters! What does this hostel has to do with roosters crowing? Roosters are all over the island. They are everywhere even on the beach far up at the northern end of the island. We slept up there and they were roosters crowing there too. They are a part of Kauai!

This hostel keeps good rules to make everyone feel at peace. They do have a very good lockdown time of 9:30 PM. However, there is a nice island décor front area set up for those who want to stay up later with minimum noise.

It is a peaceful place and for the money it’s awesome. Hello! It’s right on the beach! I dare you to find something better for the money. It $30 for single bed one person and $45 for double bed for two people sharing the double bed.

The kitchen is big and airy and has plenty of space for everyone.

To address the person who complained about lack of air conditioning. They do not need air conditioning the sea breeze is awesome the rooms are facing the beachfront. Actually we got a little chilly and had to put on a blanket at night. There were no mosquitoes biting us though the windows were open. This is real island living. It is tropical paradise. You are on an Hawaiian Island beach front property staying for $30 per night! As for me I spent $22.50 my share because I shared the double bed with my friend. Hello!!..What a deal! If you want to experience island living stay here. Do not listen to the lying reviews. We were thankful for this awesome place.

Oh! The bus stop is right in front of this hostel and there is a food store right in front too. Location is perfect to get to everywhere.

We did stay one night at the only other hostel on the island, we didn’t like it and were very thankful to find this one.

Room Tip: i liked the downstairs mixed dorm
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I come to Kaua'i at least once a year and I always look forward to my stay at the Kaua'i Beach House. What a great deal to stay right on the beach in the quaint town of Kapa'a with so many beautiful beaches nearby. I love waking up to the sunrise over the ocean and then heading out to explore the beautiful island. Located half way between the North shore and the South shore, it's an ideal spot. The staff is super friendly and full of great advice on what to see and do. There are usually great people staying there looking to join up for hikes, beach trips, snorkeling, surfing or some other amazing adventure. And at the end of the day I can fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore. I highly recommend the Kaua'i Beach House for enjoying the majestic island.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank StevenLandin007
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed at quite a few hostels all over the world, I can honestly say that this hostel has a lot of potential to be great, but is not quite there yet.

When checking in, we were told that only 1 of the 2 private rooms we booked were reserved for us, however there was one available so it wasn't a problem. The staff member checking us in seemed really disorganized and confused but the other staff (Ross) were very friendly and helpful. The beds are lined with plastic, which makes for a noisy and hot sleep. (I have only ever once before experienced a hostel with the plastic coverings in Amsterdam - for obvious reasons). The private rooms that we booked were covered in sand and seemed to not have been cleaned for a very long time as there were many insect wings on all selves and sticky drink spilled down the blinds. Despite the cleanliness issues, we stayed for 4 nights and the overall vibe was relaxed and peaceful by the beach and the breeze at night was very nice.

Be warned if you book the private room with the bunk beds - in order to get access to the bathrooms after 9:30pm to 8:00am you will have to walk around the back of the building through 2 parking lots to the front entrance to get to them...not very secure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 186338Jess
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hostel is open and airy, and right on the beach. Too bad it's an unswimmable beach (4 foot high rock wall.) But still, great scenery! The layout is good. There are lots of eating establishments nearby, and an ABC grocery store is 5 mins. away. Just bring earplugs, because the roosters (moa) are everywhere, and start crowing at 3am. And keep crowing. Every 3-5 minutes.
The bathrooms are clean, but really need updating. No towels, so make sure to bring your own. Remember, people snore, sometimes loudly , all night, in a dorm type setting. Again, bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and ambien and a towel (Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, y'all) and you should b...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dmp717200
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The staff were generally nice however very nosy about your personal business.The kitchen was so disgusting.I loved waking up to the beach.The hostel was a bit crowded with some weird characters.
Like I said I felt that the staff asked me too many questions-maybe they were being friendly but I almost felt I was being investigated.
I felt some of the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
People staying at the hostel as well as staff members did not clean up after themselves.

Room Tip: Stay in the room below.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#2 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!